Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA BoI Beach Race

• 10-11-2009 3:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was sidelined for this one last year due to injuries so was taking photos instead, I'll be heading along to play in the sand this weekend though and do my first of this seasons winter league races.

www.bhaa.ie
    BHAA wrote:
    Distance 6K
    Start time :11:30
    Registration from 10am
    €10 for BHAA members and €15 euro non BHAA member.
    You can take out membership now until the end December 2010, yes 2010, for a mere €15.

Anyone else going along to this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Was thinking of giving this one a bash. Looks fun. Though not sure if its too soon post DCM 09?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Would love to race, but will be slogging it around the pheonix park again this weekend,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

defo be there! can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

See you there Robin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Would love to run this one, but am away this weekend.

Has mixed memories for me from last year. On the positive side, it was my first time meeting up with other boardsies, also my first time entering a BHAA event and experiencing the great post-race coffee, biscuits and chat. I also learned about race strategy, when a group of 5 used me as the front man running into a very strong headwind and all 5 accelerated past me over the final few hundred metres.

On the negative side, it "caused" an injury by racing too hard post-DCM and ending up with around 2 months of very little running.

Was definitely a race of two halves last year - first half was nice and comfy, until the turn when it was 2 miles of the strongest headwind I've ever faced into!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

For info, at the teachers race I picked up that this year the race format is
    out-back-out-back as opposed to just out and back (make sense?). This would at least split the effects of a strong wind.

This may have changed since I last heard of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I saw a mention of the course being a couple of shorter laps this year on the BHAA forums as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Peckham wrote: »
    Would love to run this one, but am away this weekend.

Has mixed memories for me from last year. On the positive side, it was my first time meeting up with other boardsies, also my first time entering a BHAA event and experiencing the great post-race coffee, biscuits and chat. I also learned about race strategy, when a group of 5 used me as the front man running into a very strong headwind and all 5 accelerated past me over the final few hundred metres.

On the negative side, it "caused" an injury by racing too hard post-DCM and ending up with around 2 months of very little running.

Was definitely a race of two halves last year - first half was nice and comfy, until the turn when it was 2 miles of the strongest headwind I've ever faced into!

I think I'll pull out of this one too. Dont want to aggravate an injury i have to my left hip as a result of the DCM. Dont fancy 2 months of little running like yourself last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

It's on my doorstep, I really have no excuses. Don't think I have anything planned on Friday night. Although it is windy, cold and I have a DCM hangover in the legs! In saying that I would love to see how long I can hold onto Robin's coattails for......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I hope to give this and the new boards singlet a try tomorrow.

• Advertisement

mithril wrote: »
    I hope to give this and the new boards singlet a try tomorrow.

I'd say it'll be chilly for a singlet. I plan to be there too, subject to weather and my bed allowing me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I expect I'll have on a long sleeve top under the Boards AC singlet, the BAC top does work the same as go faster stripes on cars.

Good point, mine'll be ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Club rules state that all members when competing, must be wearing a club singlet (regardless of how cold it is)*

*this isn't entirely true, but it should be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm still awaiting my boards 'go faster' running top so i'll be wearing a coat/wet gear/whatever is required after hearing the weather forecast for tomorrow.

Til be a windy one boys and girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm still awaiting my boards 'go faster' running top so i'll be wearing a coat/wet gear/whatever is required after hearing the weather forecast for tomorrow.

Til be a windy one boys and girls

Woke up this morning and my left calf is very sore so don't want to make it worse (an old injury). :mad: Looks like it will be not too bad weather wise so hope it goes well for all.

hangover (mainly) + dead leg from 5 a side (was the excuse to go drinking) means I'm out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I am also out. On call for a system upgrade this week-end and need to be contactable at this time.

The tide was looking a bit high when we got to the beach but seemed to be going out rather than in which was lucky. The wind seemed to be against us in every direction though but the sun was out so was nowhere near as bad as it could have been according to the weather forecasts.

Not seen the results yet but have been having a look around the updated results site for previous races and am impressed with it:

http://members.bhaa.ie/public/

Major improvement on what it was before and you can click through to RacePix from the results as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

4102815017_fb52a3c5e1.jpg

4103576616_8e96901c15.jpg

4102588777_c9637e7d62.jpg

4102585689_a12891e296.jpg

A few of my photos from the race. If anyone wants originals, sans watermark, let me know and I'll send them on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

A few of my photos from the race. If anyone wants originals, sans watermark, let me know and I'll send them on.

Brilliant photos...really appreciate that you do that! Im in there somewhere a few times :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

BHAA BOI Race Results are online now, with the quick link for each runner racepixs365.

Advertisement