Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How important is Saturday?

• 10-11-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I touched on this in a thread that was instantly locked yesterday - I seem to have that effect, am never able to get the rules right or please any of the mods. I don't think my username helps my cause much...but anyway, I digress..

Back in the late 1980s I can remember going on marches with my father, he was on strike and we were living on very little money. It was a recession - dark times, pretty similar to what we're all going through now. Then, in 1990, Ireland qualified for the World Cup and through that, we all seemed to find some hope. Not just some hope that the people of Philly fictionally did through Rocky...what I mean is, economically, we got a majot boost. The pubs and clubs were full up for each match. All the supermarkets did well from the sale of food and drink for the many house parties that also took place. Pennys and co made a fortune selling Jack's Army t-shirts, the pound shops etc did well selling flags, hats scarves...not to mention the people that were making these products. It was a great time, not only enjoyed by football lovers but everyone else became swept up in the euphoria of the occasion. Everyone enjoyed it, and everyone made and spent a bit of money.

When we beat Romania on penalties, the whole country had sex and, to be overly romantic for a second, I think the celtic Tiger was conceived on that night...

My question is, can the same thing happen again? Is the match against France on Saturday a time for all the cynics to forget why they have become so cynical (even though they may have many valid points) and just get behind the team, because like it or not, football is the world's most accessable and best loved sport. If we qualify next wednesday, the entertainment industry will receive a timely boost next summer not to mention all the merchandise sellers etc.

I know it's very easy to become cynical about such things, but can a country really get back on its feet through cynacism? Can a country really be helped to its feet by something like a football tournament? Personally, and I know many will disagree, I think it did before, and it can do so again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I am horribly cynical in general and I am still horribly cynical about Saturday/next Wednesday. No amount of romanticism can change that.

If we somehow pull off the miracle then by expecting feck all in the first place I can never be disappointed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

As anything can happen in football I believe we can pull this off. However it would be a huge ask. Would be one of the best days il experience in sport if we pull it off. Still waiting on news if I have a ticket or not but I hope those that are there do the fans proud and really get behind the team.

Im nervous already....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm with xavi.

expect feck all, and you'll be grand.

it'll change almost everyone's summer to be in the World Cup next year. and for the most part, for the better.

that's about the height of it's importance. a patriotic summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LOL Ah the memories.:D

I think you could well be right, personally speaking I am more interested in the playoffs than I have been in any Irish game for quite a few years. Maybe it is time to forget the recent past and get behind the team and focus on the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Donth think Saturday is to important, wait until Wednesday week at about 10:50 Paris time, its only important who goes through not what happens in the 1st leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm with xavi.

expect feck all, and you'll be grand.

it'll change almost everyone's summer to be in the World Cup next year. and for the most part, for the better.

that's about the height of it's importance. a patriotic summer ;)

And to help generate interest back into soccer. Just look at how popular rugby has come. Itl only be a good thing that our country are in the world cup.

I dont have the mentality of expecting feck all. Its a bad thing in a way as it can lead to disapointment. Ive been through it enough with Liverpool and even Mayo in the Ga.

Il be gutted if we get a bad result saturday....even though its odds on we will. Its all a bit strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The Muppet wrote: »
    Maybe it is time to forget the recent past and get behind the team and focus on the future.

You only feel like this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

While my head too says that Ireland will not do it, I believe the team deserves to get there more than France especially with the seeding debacle which is just sickening flagrant UEFA/FIFA bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I doubt we will see the return of the optimism that came during the Big Jack era, or anything even close to it - these are very different times. The youth of that day had never seen the wealth or greed that surfaced with the Celtic Tiger & back then, seeing our lads compete & do well amongst the football elite, on a world stage, was hugely inspiring.

We didn't play brilliant, skillful or inspiring football back then, let's not forget, but that was besides the point - we put teams "under pressure" & snatched goals whenever we could, much like we do now.

However, for a generation of kids reared on PS3s, celebrity culture & mobile phones & who up until recently lived in realtive luxury, that's just not appealing enough. The X-Factor will get more younger viewers than the match on Saturday.

And the older generations, who have almost always been cyncal about the national team, will continue to be so - sure, they'll celebrate if we qualify, but sadly, if we don't, there will be no taking stock of our achievements with what is a relatively poor team who have done really well, but instead it will be more like, "I knew we'd never get to the World Cup".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

cant wait...will be an epic match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

To the OP ... very important I think

Don't be surprised to see a ' snap election ' if Ireland does well in the w/c

By the way good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Start supporting a really really **** team in another sport and it really does help put all other team you follow into perspective. As a Liverpool and Oakland Raiders fan Liverpool massive life changing blip some fans thing we're going through now is nothing put a teeny-tiny bump in the road in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

CHD wrote: »
    You only feel like this now?

Yep. Havn't gone to an Ireland game in years , watched the odd few on the box if i was at a loose end. I know that sounds bad, can't help how I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think we're all missing the point that we're f*cked differently in terms of economics. Qualifying for the World Cup isn't going to kick-start Celtic Tiger, mkII, unless for some reason everyone starts buying houses again to celebrate. What it would be is a bit of craic. We haven't had much fun lately.

My head says we won't qualify. The only way I can see it happening is if it's 0-0 at Croker, and then 1-1 in Paris. Even then, I think if France go into the second leg 0-0, they'll be ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If Ireland beat France, that will be a huge scalp to take (you almost took Italy's). To simply know that you can compete at that level should be f*cking huge. Hopefully the lads step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tom65 wrote: »
    I think we're all missing the point that we're f*cked differently in terms of economics. Qualifying for the World Cup isn't going to kick-start Celtic Tiger, mkII, unless for some reason everyone starts buying houses again to celebrate. What it would be is a bit of craic. We haven't had much fun lately.

It's also very important to note that the association that certain commentators and critics have made in the past between Ireland's 1990 World Cup adventure and the beginning of the Celtic Tiger period of economic boom is laughably incorrect. It has become the worst type of pop culture myth. The Live Register continued to rise during and after 1990, peaking in early 1993. The strong growth of the economy during 1994 - 2001 (real growth as opposed to the property and credit boom of 2001 - 2007) had its roots in political policies and decisions made by the likes of the IDA.

Yes 1990 and 1994 created a great carnival atmosphere in the country, and refueled a psychological sense of pride in Irishness that had been damaged and depleted by the economic hardships and mass emigration of the preceding decade. Ireland's participation in next year's World Cup would be welcome, as a kick to life and an excuse (which will no doubt twist our collective rubber arm :)) to party and have fun that spills onto the streets all over the nation. But it will not provide any sort of significant or lasting economic boost in of itself.

I do wish things were that easy. :(

All the same, I'm really looking forward to Saturday and will be biting my nails / roaring at the top of my voice throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I will not be at the home game but have tickets to the away leg. Hope that we are still in it at that stage, I guess we will have to see how it goes. I do not think it will have a significant positive effect on the country if we do get there. If a whole lot of lads do not go into work sick from the beer of a weekday then there is a fair chance that the economy may suffer:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's also very important to note that the association that certain commentators and critics have made in the past between Ireland's 1990 World Cup adventure and the beginning of the Celtic Tiger period of economic boom is laughably incorrect. It has become the worst type of pop culture myth. The Live Register continued to rise during and after 1990, peaking in early 1993. The strong growth of the economy during 1994 - 2001 (real growth as opposed to the property and credit boom of 2001 - 2007) had its roots in political policies and decisions made by the likes of the IDA.

Yes 1990 and 1994 created a great carnival atmosphere in the country, and refueled a psychological sense of pride in Irishness that had been damaged and depleted by the economic hardships and mass emigration of the preceding decade. Ireland's participation in next year's World Cup would be welcome, as a kick to life and an excuse (which will no doubt twist our collective rubber arm :)) to party and have fun that spills onto the streets all over the nation. But it will not provide any sort of significant or lasting economic boost in of itself.

All the same, I'm really looking forward to Saturday and will be biting my nails / roaring at the top of my voice throughout the game.

ty buzz killington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

interesting fact the two french goalies conceaded 8 goals at the weekend...i reckon trapatoni can pull it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Got my tickets for both legs and cannot wait for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

What i will say is there is a different buzz in the air compared to previous playoffs and in fact the 2002 world cup itself. Think back to 2002? It was great but did it leave everlasting memories?.
    Will it help the economy? Well if we get to the world cup there will be a surge in profits for the publicans thats for sure :pac:

It must also be mentioned that the lads over on the ybig forums have done trojan work to make saturday a day we should never forget with the going green campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Its very important in lots of ways particularly in atttracting young lads to take up the game. After 2002 I went soccer crazy and me and a few mates joined the local team and we never would have only for the excitement of the wc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I think that's a mindset of gaining recognition through cynicism, and that while I agree it would be ridiculous to laud one tournament as a creator of something such as the Celtic tiger, it should also not be denied that it can be somewhat of a catalyst, starting point or something to aid if we were to see an up turn elsewhere.

The idea of the sentiment of the general public not being a contributory factor in how the economy is fairing is as ridiculous as saying it has a total bearing on it.

There are any amount of positives it would bring to the country most notably the publican trade, but that's far from the only thing, celebration is not only within a bar, house parties, people staying out well into the night after a victory, travel within and outside of the country. Football and sport has papered over the cracks of failing society on several high profile occasions, in face as a football fan somewhere within your brain there is an amount of escapism that you (communal) crave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Dun laoire wrote: »
    What i will say is there is a different buzz in the air compared to previous playoffs and in fact the 2002 world cup itself. Think back to 2002? It was great but did it leave everlasting memories?.
    Will it help the economy? Well if we get to the world cup there will be a surge in profits for the publicans thats for sure :pac:

It must also be mentioned that the lads over on the ybig forums have done trojan work to make saturday a day we should never forget with the going green campaign.

Jeez the ybig forums are just as bigoted as the our wee country forums! And they both reek of beer soaked laddishness and text speak. Ugh. I think I'll continue my support of Ireland from the civility of boards thank you very much.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It is the biggest game the country has played in nearly a decade. Massive. Can't wait and dreading it all at the same time.

I know a little about economics, there'll be no structural, longlasting, sustainable improvement. People will spend more though and that in itself will help.

Bar the business in Bars and offies, there is ticket sales, prize money, ticket sales for Lawnsdowne, probably more jobs in the fai as a whole, merchandise (both offiial and unoffiial I imagine, even airlines would do well I would imagine).

Not really interested in that side of things. Just thinking about all the things that would have to go our way if we are going to revert to type and invite the French on for 180 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I have my ticket secured for the home leg, regrettably unable to get to the away leg...

If Ireland manage to pull this off and edge France out it will be a glorious moment in Irish footballing history... and a massive two fingers to that fúcking cúnt Sepp Blatter, FIFA and UEFA!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When we beat Romania on penalties, the whole country had sex and, to be overly romantic for a second, I think the celtic Tiger was conceived on that night...
    Well I'm gonna do my bit on Saturday if we win and have some of that sex that you're talking about. Can't guarantee that any tigers will be conceived that night but I'm pretty sure that she'll have kittens when she sees the state of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

GO'S wrote: »
    interesting fact the two french goalies conceaded 8 goals at the weekend...i reckon trapatoni can pull it off

Aye, ours only conceded 3 to Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

If we do get there, I just hope we get a decent looking jersey... We haven't had a decent once since 90/94 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

The day the draw was made I started to deal with the heart break of not qualifying. I fully expect us not to qualify :(

If we do some how pull it off, it will be amazing. Nothing beats a World Cup summer!

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think that's a mindset of gaining recognition through cynicism, and that while I agree it would be ridiculous to laud one tournament as a creator of something such as the Celtic tiger, it should also not be denied that it can be somewhat of a catalyst, starting point or something to aid if we were to see an up turn elsewhere.

The idea of the sentiment of the general public not being a contributory factor in how the economy is fairing is as ridiculous as saying it has a total bearing on it.

There are any amount of positives it would bring to the country most notably the publican trade, but that's far from the only thing, celebration is not only within a bar, house parties, people staying out well into the night after a victory, travel within and outside of the country. Football and sport has papered over the cracks of failing society on several high profile occasions, in face as a football fan somewhere within your brain there is an amount of escapism that you (communal) crave.

That sentence makes sense I'll agree.

If we qualify for the World Cup next year from mid May on the media will begin to focus heavily on how the squad is preparing, the first topic of conversation amongst friends and strangers alike will switch towards the World Cup as opposed to the minutiae of economic data. While Ireland are in the tournament (and for a couple of days around the return of the squad) the general attention will become transfixed to a certain extent on our games. The services sector (particularly Pubs, off - licenses and supermarkets) will experience an above average boon relative to usual levels of trade for that period of the year.

But by late August when the squad are moving on to their next friendly game, daily reality (barring some other unexpected massive cultural event) will have returned to normal. The bout of extra discretionary spending during the World Cup will not create lasting economic growth or employment in of itself. And while there will be thousands of individuals who were inspired by the experience to try a little harder in their own lives and up their positive contributions to the economy and society in general, the fundamental nature of this countries problems will have been barely affected / assuaged from our participation down in South Africa.

Plus don't forget the damage to the economy that people breaking themselves to travel to the games abroad (spending that completely leaves our economy), missing work due to hangovers, etc does.

It's not like I'm against people really enjoying the big tournaments, I'll be right there lapping it up. But when you dust yourself off and really examine the real affects and figures around this sort of thing, the only rational conclusion you can make is that the bearing it has on the general fortunes of the nation from an economic perspective rests somewhere between minimal and non existent.

If we do get there, I just hope we get a decent looking jersey... We haven't had a decent once since 90/94 :)

Back around the 1994 World Cup I used to religiously buy football magazines. I remember that in the aftermath of the tournament, Ireland changed their kit sponsor (to Umbro I think). There was a full page ran in the magazines that had a picture of an Irish fan and a Brazilian fan (wearing the latest jersies) and the caption: "They weren't better, just had the better jersies". Clever. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

By the way, things are expected to improve by August regardless.

This would be a nice feelgood factor to get us through some of the darker months.

RTE and the other TV channels will make a fortune out of it.

The ads are on months in advance, every second competition and product on the radio will have a WC theme to it etc etc.

Advertisement