Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snacks and sweets for Christmas!!

Options
  • 10-11-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

Hi since we are getting near that time of year again i just want to know what is tradition in everyones house at Christmas time when it comes to sweets and treats! Myself and my brother always get a box of sour cream and onion pringles each and a terrys chocolate orange also as well as the boxes of roses, celebrations etc.

Is there anything unusual that anyone gets at christmas time that they wouldn't normally have during the year?! Sorry i'm completely bored at work so this just popped into my head!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I have to get a selection box under the tree, it has to be Cadbury's and it has to contain a curly wurly. Last years had no curly wurly and I was miffed!

Apart from that someone has to get one of those big boxes of 'crackers for cheese' and my whole family has to sit around ploughing through it with a few kilos of cheesey goodness talking about how we could stop 'any time'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

They don't make selection boxes anymore like when I was a kid. They used to have about 12 or 13 bars with a much greater variety: Curly Wurly, Wispa, Golden crisp, Whole nut, Crunchie, Picnic, Moro etc. Now they usually only have about 6 or 7 bars and usually you'll get a couple of different size dairy milks, a flake, buttons and other mainly chocolaty ones :( :mad: very samey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I love selection boxes. In the Cadbury's one my favourites are the wee Fudges, Flakes and Buttons. The Mars ones are nice too..Years ago they'd be in a net stocking, haven't seen them like that in ages..I love the Maltesers and Revels. Not mad keen on Galaxy, however I am partial to a few Minstrels.
    My mam always buys us a Fox's Luxury Assortment of biccies along with Mikado..and Chocolate Kimberly (oh joy!!!). We also have tins of Roses, Quality Street(my favourites) and Celebrations too.
    Mince pies mmm! Sadly they give me really bad heartburn. Cranberry sauce which I only discovered the year before last.. only 'cos it was in a turkey and ham bagel I purchased and consumed with my eyes closed in pleasure:o.
    Ah yeah, Christmas food is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Selection boxes have gotten increasingly crap in recent years so I forgo them in favour of a Terrys Chocolate Orange, mmmmm orangey goodness. Nothing like it when sitting by the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My Mam always gets Lemon's Seasons Greetings sweets. There's a lovely smiley Santa on the box. They're the best because you get fruity ones as well as chocolate and toffee. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Mackleton wrote: »
    Selection boxes have gotten increasingly crap in recent years

So true! What is it with the need for 3 or 4 different types / sizes from eacg manufacturer? Surely the 'idea' of a selection box is that you get a selection across the whole range, not just 'Mars & Friends' etc.? i can understand having one smaller size one for the ickle ones, but surely 2 sizes would be sufficient - I am sure I have seen at least 4 different mars ones already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Selection boxes have gotten increasingly crap in recent years so I forgo them in favour of a Terrys Chocolate Orange, mmmmm orangey goodness. Nothing like it when sitting by the fire!
    I agree they're fairly sh!te but I still have to get one. My mammy buys one every year for each of us. And I'm 24 ffs :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Wine gums. Lashings of them. I barely eat sweets, but Ive got to have a few large packs of wines gums in for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Celebrations and chocolate kimberley :pac:

...oh and a cup of tea

CC

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yep, terry choclate orange all the way! tried the box of them before, didn't beat the original!

Pringles and Roses are musts for me

I also have a tradition, its fifth year this year of making a chocolate log (not the actual log, just the icing for the log)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

my mother usually gets me and my brother a box of After Eights - the ones that have about 30 or so mints in the box, and maybe a large Galaxy or Dairy Milk or Milka for my brother. There's usually a couple of tins of sweets in the house, i'm partial to Celebrations.

Just remembered: I really like Toffifees but I only ever saw them in duty free abroad, Tesco had them in a while back, I might suggest them to my mother in place of the After Eights this year.... toffee, chocolate and hazelnuts, yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Saw boxes of toffiee's in Aldi yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Saw boxes of toffiee's in Aldi yesterday!

I must investigate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Also have them in the 2Euro shops ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    My Mam always gets Lemon's Seasons Greetings sweets. There's a lovely smiley Santa on the box. They're the best because you get fruity ones as well as chocolate and toffee. :)

God yeah, I love Season's Greetings...wish we could have them all year round to be honest :D

Advertisement