Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing branch

Options
  • 10-11-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Not sure whether to post this here, but I was wondering if someone could let me know what the change of branch procedure is for the Bank of Ireland?

I typically keep my branch near my parents house as I move around quite a bit. My parents moved about a year ago while I wasn't in the country and I want to move my branch to where they live now.

Can this be done from any bank of Ireland branch or do I have to do it from my current branch which is a long drive away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Last time I asked them this they said it wasn't possible and that I would have to close my existing account and open a new one in another branch.
    Perhaps they've moved on from this nonsense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Last time I asked them this they said it wasn't possible and that I would have to close my existing account and open a new one in another branch.
    Perhaps they've moved on from this nonsense though.

Even that wouldn't be too bad as I could transfer funds through my online banking. Just open a new current account in the new location and transfer it all over.

Is there an easier way I wonder? They have no information on their website regarding this (that I can see at least). I would have thought they would have some info though as I'm sure it would be a common issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There isn't any way to "move branches" as such. Your account will always be tied to the home branch, where you opened it.

Most branches can deal with the "day to day" stuff for you as can telephone banking, but there will always be somethings only your branch can do.

If you really need to move to another branch, then yes, you'll have to open a new account at the new branch of your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Generally speaking, you would have to close down accounts and open new ones, this may have the negative (or, in some cases positive!) effect of voiding your past account activity with the bank.

There should be little need to do this, however. There would be very few things that you would have to visit your holding branch for, loans, overdrafts, credit transfers etc etc can all be transacted through any branch. The only adverse effect could be on cheque encashments (though even this may be limited in effect).

My advice would be for you to save yourself the hassle of switching branches, unless there is a very specific reason to do so.

Long Onion wrote: »
    Generally speaking, you would have to close down accounts and open new ones, this may have the negative (or, in some cases positive!) effect of voiding your past account activity with the bank.

There should be little need to do this, however. There would be very few things that you would have to visit your holding branch for, loans, overdrafts, credit transfers etc etc can all be transacted through any branch. The only adverse effect could be on cheque encashments (though even this may be limited in effect).

My advice would be for you to save yourself the hassle of switching branches, unless there is a very specific reason to do so.

I'm afraid there is, I want to open a savings account and (I think) this requires me to open it in my old branch. My old branch is in Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny, which is really out of the way for me. Someone would have to drive me up from West Waterford, which wouldn't make me very popular :) I think I'll have to do it at some stage as I know I'll be looking for a loan in the next 6-8months for a car.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I'm afraid there is, I want to open a savings account and (I think) this requires me to open it in my old branch. My old branch is in Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny, which is really out of the way for me. Someone would have to drive me up from West Waterford, which wouldn't make me very popular :) I think I'll have to do it at some stage as I know I'll be looking for a loan in the next 6-8months for a car.

You should be able to open a savings account through any branch. Personally I've different savings accounts with 3 different BOI branches and have never had an issue doing it. If they insist that the account be opened with your 'home' branch, you can submit the forms through any BOI branch and they will send them to your home branch through the internal mail. Same situation with loans, while the loan may be domiciled with your 'home' branch, it can be applied for, and the agreements signed in any branch.

Thanks for all you help and great suggestions. I'll have a think over it tonight on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The last digit of your eight digit account number is a check-sum based on the previous seven digits and the six digit sort code. This is designed to trap data entry errors prior to processing. As the account number is linked to the sort code, there is no way to move an account to a different branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I didnt know that but being a business banker I'm not supposed to know those things :) OP There is on need to change branch as the vast majority of transactions can be carried out in other branches.

Advertisement