Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Volvo S60

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I just got a little sick there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

big change from the old one...which i had.... and loved...heavy on juice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That looks like a terrible pastiche of everything that's fashionable at the moment, nothing original or forward looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

That looks like a terrible pastiche of everything that's fashionable at the moment, nothing original or forward looking.

Total agree. I see lexus headlights, insignia vents, A5 side crease and a bit of the new jag in there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Looks like a poor mans Merc CLS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I don't like it, it looks Korean (and I've nothing against Koreans, just the way they style their cars:P:D).
    Volvo always separated themselves up from the herd - I always saw them as a step up from the Fords/Nissans of the world, on the same level as Saab etc.
    This design looks like a fat Astra. I don't get it.
    betafrog wrote: »
    The idea of the Pedestrian detection system frightens me though...

Driving through dublin city centre would be impossible with the amount of people that would walk out in front of you... Anyone know if there is a way of turning it off?

I've been in a car with it working, it's a pretty cool technology.
    It'll brake when something comes in front of you, but disables itself if there are any steering or braking inputs (i.e. if the car thinks you're in control, it leaves you in control).
    You can of course disable it as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am going to hold back on my opinion until the actual car is put out of the factory as the concept artwork is never anything like the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Don't like the colour on that picture above, but I do quite like the look of the car.

Hopefully it will be priced right to compete against the A4 / 3 Series and offer a serious alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Looks like an an old volvo that's melting in the sun!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dont think it looks as smooth as the original concept but with a lot of the makers playing it safe at the moment anyway it's not a bad effort. It's no worse (or better) than an A4, 3 series et al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

betafrog wrote: »
    Berty, the above is the production ready model.

But in boggo spec, silver and with 16 inch wheels it will look different

EPM wrote: »
    But in boggo spec, silver and with 16 inch wheels it will look different

With the astounding 1.6DRIVe engine :mad:

R.O.R wrote: »
    With the astounding 1.6DRIVe engine :mad:

Thats our fault for having the greens in government.*

Volvo Meeting:
    "Listen to those Irish, all they do is complain about high prices. Oh wait CO2 emmisions, lets give them a pissy little engine and the CO2 will be low and then the prices will come down"
    "But boss, what about the fact that a 1.6drive engine in an S60 or S80 is ludicrous"
    "Screw those Irish, we make a million cars a year and they only buy 400, who cares"

*Not quite word for word and if that meeting actually ever happened I certainly was not there.

Based on the fact the S80 1.6DRIVe has appeared on a couple of international tenders I've done, it doesn't look like it's a Paddy special for once.

I think they've lobbed that engine in to counterbalance the 2.5T, T6 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

After being promised so much from the concept, I can't help feeling a little let down to be honest. Although it does look distinctive and I must be in the minority in liking that colour.

Volvo were never going to get this model right for us anyway. No matter how many crackers they've produced in the last few years (S60, XC90, etc), it is not a brand that the Irish understand or hold that close to their hearts. People still don't have a clue what current generation Volvo's look like either, still thinking of them as boxy family cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The real thing caught here doesn't look too bad from the side or rear profile:

10volvos600917.jpg

The rear is HIDEOUS.

What's up with the light clusters???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Looks like a cross between the nissan primera and the new C5

Looks like a cross between the nissan primera and the new C5

I agree with that as well. There appears to be soo many other marques similar in styling.

It just does not do it for me and I like Volvo's.

Based on the fact the S80 1.6DRIVe has appeared on a couple of international tenders I've done, it doesn't look like it's a Paddy special for once.

I just drove the S80 1.6D and I was really surprised!

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it pulls smoother and drives better than some other smaller cars with larger engines.
    Sounded quite refined and quiet too.

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    I just drove the S80 1.6D and I was really surprised!

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it pulls smoother and drives better than some other smaller cars with larger engines.
    Sounded quite refined and quiet too.

Interesting........

Sure at some point, someone might drop one over here for us. In the meantime I'll continue in the 2.5T :pac:

Don't get too excited, it's no 1.9TDi, but it's a hell of a lot more competent that I expected.

Definitely keep your eyes out for a drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

350_Nissan_Primera_30.jpg

volvos60-31122_1_5_opt.jpg

800px-Nissan_Primera_P12_002.jpg

10volvos600917.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Am i the only person here who actually likes it.

I think it looks lovely tbh. A nice evolution of the current model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Am i the only person here who actually likes it.

I think it looks lovely tbh. A nice evolution of the current model.

I think the side/rear profile looks good. The front is a different matter though, reminds me of the Ford Taurus mid 90's model in the US!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Sorry I know this thread is a few days old but I thought the new S60 didnt look great but you would be surprised what a different view and a nicer colour can do

01_s60r_header.jpg

Also this is the S60R

Yeah - I like that.

Slightly OT - I'll echo Chris's post on the S80 1.6D. Just been out for a quick spin in the car and it is soooo much better than I thought it would be. 1.6D engine has been remapped for torque and there are new ratios in the gearbox for it. It actually moves! (not that quickly, but quick enough to keep up with other cars in the city).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Slightly OT - I'll echo Chris's post on the S80 1.6D. Just been out for a quick spin in the car and it is soooo much better than I thought it would be. 1.6D engine has been remapped for torque and there are new ratios in the gearbox for it. It actually moves! (not that quickly, but quick enough to keep up with other cars in the city).

It will also be fine for people who want an executive car on a budget.

Advertisement