Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks & Spencer - Swords

Options
  • 10-11-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

from today's Indo

Retail giant Marks & Spencer will create 450 jobs with the opening of its largest store in the Republic.

The food and clothing chain confirmed it will be an anchor tenant for a massive extension to the Swords Pavilions near Dublin Airport.

Granted planning permission in September, the developer said the new phase of the shopping complex is expected to be completed in spring 2014.

Jonathan Smith, Marks & Spencer's Ireland chief, said: "We've been looking at the location for some time and are delighted to have secured such a prime position.

"This new M&S will allow us significantly strengthen our offer in the north Dublin region."

Press Association

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Another extension?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Jonathan wrote: »
    Another extension?!?

Yep, its been known for years but only got the green light last month. They're going to make it look like a 'street' in a sense as opposed to a 'centre', if you get me.

All the car parking will be underground too.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/euro1-billion-boost-for-local-economy-1874871.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

2014? Bit of a wait!

Ah you'll just have to buy your socks in Pennys until then.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

And in the meantime it'll create lots of job in construction in Swords - it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Isnt the 2014 thing due to planning conditions with the metro?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »

Yes - they can't start building until the exact metro route is finally decided on, then the construction will take a couple of years. Let's hope it doesn't take too long for the metro route to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Cant see the Metro going ahead now. We will see on Dec 9th in Budget with spending cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

well Metro is supposed to be a PPP scheme, so theoretically shouldn't cost the government as much as you'd think. It'd surprise me if Metro doesn't get the go ahead tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cant see the Metro going ahead now. We will see on Dec 9th in Budget with spending cuts
    Why not?

Bearing in mind the model for it's construction and running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I don't understand FCC.They refuse Aldi permission to build a store near Airside but give M & S permission to build the largest M & S store in Ireland,in one of the worst traffic black spots in North Dublin.While I'm a big fan of M&S,its not what the people of Swords needs right now.Discount Stores like Aldi and Lidl would be much more beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

And in the meantime it'll create lots of job in construction in Swords - it's all good.

Well hopefully its all good, I have probably just become a little cynical when I hear "jobs for Irish workers". I just wonder how many of the construction jobs will go to Irish workers? And when the store opens how many jobs will go to Irish people? Can Fingal put in conditions on things like that?

LeoB wrote: »
    Well hopefully its all good, I have probably just become a little cynical when I hear "jobs for Irish workers". I just wonder how many of the construction jobs will go to Irish workers? And when the store opens how many jobs will go to Irish people? Can Fingal put in conditions on things like that?

No they can't because it would be against both Irish and EU laws on discrimination.
    Regardless, it will bring money to Swords and keep the demand for housing strong, which is great for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

LeoB wrote: »
    Hopefully not.

No they can't because it would be against both Irish and EU laws on discrimination.
    Regardless, it will bring money to Swords and keep the demand for housing strong, which is great for the town.

I guessed as much. Yet it is widely reported in the media Irish workers cant apply for jobs in some eastern european countries. We are to honest when it comes to dealing with a wide variety of E.U. laws. We should study how some countries deal with contracts etc to protect their own communities.

There is more to Fingal than Swords and every effort should be made to ensure their is a certain number of jobs going to each parish. I.M.O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Two wrongs dont make a right, just because other countrys do it doesnt mean we should

This country would be on its arse if it wasnt for migrant workers. During the celtic tiger period how many people do you know who wouldnt even dare to work in a shop, restraunt, construction etc and now just because management, engineering jobs etc are gone they want the jobs they turned their nose up at a few years ago back. I think the migrant workers who have settled here, supported out country, pay the same taxes etc have as much right to the jobs as Irish people. We cant have it both ways

We took so much from the EU, now its our turn to support the free movement of labor, that is a corner stone of the EU

*Rant Ends*

Two wrongs dont make a right, just because other countrys do it doesnt mean we should

This country would be on its arse if it wasnt for migrant workers. During the celtic tiger period how many people do you know who wouldnt even dare to work in a shop, restraunt, construction etc and now just because management, engineering jobs etc are gone they want the jobs they turned their nose up at a few years ago back. I think the migrant workers who have settled here, supported out country, pay the same taxes etc have as much right to the jobs as Irish people. We cant have it both ways

We took so much from the EU, now its our turn to support the free movement of labor, that is a corner stone of the EU

Exactly.

*Rant Ends*

Some fair points. I will try and take each one. Firstly I dont think its wrong to look after Irish people first. A lot of Irish people have gone thro' collage and it was not always the case of turning their nose up at certain jobs. It was more a case of getting the best job they could on their qualifactions and to meet the crazy rent and mortages. Where Irish people found themselves was in most cases through no fault of their own.

Migrant workers have been vital in some areas and done a good job. That is not in doubt. I dont want it both ways but we should look after our own people first. We have done enough for migrants and its time to call a halt and thats not a racist rant. We always have to be seen to be doing whats politically correct instead of doing whats right for our people.

What we got from the E.U we were sold by the then E.E.C and entitled to under a number of agreements. We know about the roads and infrastructural funds but its ridiculous what we are trying to sustain at the moment. We need to go back to levels of about 5-7 years ago.

Also the main benefit from putting Irish people into the jobs it will help people meet crippling re-payments on houses. I dont think many migrants have that worry.

Just my opinion and thank god I did not get caught up in the housing bubble but every day I see the pressure, fear and hurt of young people who are basically fcukd if they dont some basic means of income and this sickens me.

Maybe I am coming at it from the wrong angle? But I have yet to be swayed otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I am sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know what is happening with this? In light of the country being even more on its arse, and with the metro getting shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Can't see this going ahead, even though i could see the food dept doing very well in this location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They have planning permission to build the third phase, at least.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Is the planning permission to use the land on the other side of the bypass towards Drynam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Is the planning permission to use the land on the other side of the bypass towards Drynam?

Not that I'm aware of. It's the space directly in front of the Pavillions before the dual carriage way. They knocked the red brick house there in preparation, but nothing more has been done.

I think Ray Burke once lived in that house.

There were two houses there and indeed Burke lived in the one that was closest to where the Pavillions now stands.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Interesting is that the part of Pavillions that currently looks like waste ground?

Not sure if below link was posted before but gives a good idea of what it will look like. The whole idea was to make it a pedestrian friendly area with all the car parks being underground.

http://www.bslarch.com/pavilions2.html

Stheno wrote: »
    Interesting is that the part of Pavillions that currently looks like waste ground?

Yes. Ray Burke's gaff was roughly where the superfluous bus stop is between the Malahide roundabout and the Pavillions roundabout, maybe a wee bit closer to Pavs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Isnt the company that built the Pavilions and Dundrum not in NAMA? Cant see this happening for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 34 keith4594

something like this to get the economy going again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Walked past this site today and it seemed to be a hive of activity. Lots of vehicles in on the site, new fencing being put up around it, mini-diggers etc. They even seemed to have a food van set up.

Anyone know if this is the start of Pavilions phase 3 & the new Marks & Spencer store?

Advertisement