Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC account closure.

Options
  • 10-11-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I've heard that many people have problems closing accounts with this company that I though I'd ask a few questions regarding my rights when I do go about closing my account soon.

I've been with the company about 8 months, and will be moving house soon. When your join you sign a contract that tells your that you may not close until you've been with them 1 year. What will happen if I do? I plan on giving the usual 30days notice (at least).

I've heard varying things, that for example you could be charged a 100euro disconnection fee or asked to pay the remainder of your contract.

If this is their policy, is this legal? Is there any way around it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'm pretty sure they charge like 45 euro or something to close your account.. never really mentioned when your starting up with them, but always when you want to leave.

Only way around it that i know of, is luckily, having a sister who works in upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they charge like 45 euro or something to close your account.. never really mentioned when your starting up with them, but always when you want to leave.

Only way around it that i know of, is luckily, having a sister who works in upc.

If it was 45euro I suppose I could live with that, probably costs them that much to send out a guy to take back equipment like the digibox.

I've seen some horror stories that they have taken money from the accounts of people 3 months after cancellation. In the case I heard it was 150euro they took. When I do cancel, I'll be asking my bank to make sure that that cannot happen in writing. I know they can't take money without my permission but I wont be taking a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Just make sure to contact them when you want it disconnected, don't just leave it there... i had a friend, who was moving out and the person moving in said that she would just take her upc and use it... instead, this new person ordered her own box and left my friends one there... she got a bill for about 200-250 euro after a couple months.

Luckily, my sister sorted it out for her, cause the other person was a douchebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

When I went to close my UPC account a few years ago, I was told there would be a €100 charge. I had the contract for 10 months, so staying on the contract for an extra 2 months was actually cheaper than paying the cancellation fee. I told them to cancel it after another 2 months, and then rang them 2 months later to confirm the cancellation.

Long story short, I had to fight with them for 2 years because they kept me subscribed at an address I wasn't living at anymore and trying to get the overcharge of €400 returned to me was like drawing blood from a stone. :mad:

The lesson learnt was to cancel, write a letter confirming you want to cancel, and then double check that they have cancelled.:)

Having to pay a cancellation fee for ending a contract early is pretty standard procedure. Phone companies do it too. Suffice it to say, I've never gone back to UPC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ask them can they move your internet to the new place.

if they dont provide a service there, they may waive the cancellation fee :)

• Advertisement

When I went to close my UPC account a few years ago, I was told there would be a €100 charge. I had the contract for 10 months, so staying on the contract for an extra 2 months was actually cheaper than paying the cancellation fee. I told them to cancel it after another 2 months, and then rang them 2 months later to confirm the cancellation.

Long story short, I had to fight with them for 2 years because they kept me subscribed at an address I wasn't living at anymore and trying to get the overcharge of €400 returned to me was like drawing blood from a stone. :mad:

The lesson learnt was to cancel, write a letter confirming you want to cancel, and then double check that they have cancelled.:)

Having to pay a cancellation fee for ending a contract early is pretty standard procedure. Phone companies do it too. Suffice it to say, I've never gone back to UPC!

I think I'll learn that lesson from you too. I remember ringing them up to open the account and they said they'd phone me back in a couple of days to confirm the order and give me a day for when they'd be there to install the digibox.

I got an international call that Saturday morning at 4.30 from an Indian number. I answered it and the guy told me that I could not get broadband in my area. (I only ordered digital television). I had seen a primetime show a couple of weeks before this, I think it was called "Customer service with a snarl", and though the best approach was to be as clear and precise as I could and polite of course. I explained that I only wanted the digital TV and he said "ok we'll sort that out".

He actually canceled my order altogether. I didn't find this out for another week when I rang up wondering what the hold up was.

The company doesn't leave a good impression. Best to be very very careful with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hi, I am with UPC and I have a fair idea of their cancellation policy as I had to cancel TV from my account as a flat mate moved out.

If you want to break the contract early there is a 100 euro fee. My understanding is it is 100 euro if you want to cancel the contract completely or 100 euro if you just want to cancel one service on your contract.

You can transfer UPC to your new address but if the service is unavailable there then you still have to pay the 100 euro cancellation fee (I would assume this applies in cases where TV is available but Broadband is not.

You will not be asked to pay the remainder of your contract. I was looking at ways around the disconnection fee but could not find any.

To cancel you will need to email resolutionteam@upc.ie and give 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I've seen some horror stories that they have taken money from the accounts of people 3 months after cancellation. In the case I heard it was 150euro they took. When I do cancel, I'll be asking my bank to make sure that that cannot happen in writing. I know they can't take money without my permission but I wont be taking a chance.
    Yeah just cancel the direct debit.. handy if you've got online banking!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

PeteK* wrote: »
    Yeah just cancel the direct debit.. handy if you've got online banking!

Just make sure you're paid up in full before cancelling the direct debit. If you owe them anything and then you cancel the DD it can lead to problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If a "Formal Complaint" is required , read this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62409325&postcount=6

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Hi, I am with UPC and I have a fair idea of their cancellation policy as I had to cancel TV from my account as a flat mate moved out.

If you want to break the contract early there is a 100 euro fee. My understanding is it is 100 euro if you want to cancel the contract completely or 100 euro if you just want to cancel one service on your contract.

You can transfer UPC to your new address but if the service is unavailable there then you still have to pay the 100 euro cancellation fee (I would assume this applies in cases where TV is available but Broadband is not.

You will not be asked to pay the remainder of your contract. I was looking at ways around the disconnection fee but could not find any.

To cancel you will need to email resolutionteam@upc.ie and give 30 days notice.

Thanks for this info, it's much appreciated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I've heard varying things, that for example you could be charged a 100euro disconnection fee or asked to pay the remainder of your contract.

If this is their policy, is this legal? Is there any way around it?

If you signed up to a contrat and your ending it early they are very much entitled to charge you a contract termination/buyout fee.

...and yes its very legal

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Toots* wrote: »
    Just make sure you're paid up in full before cancelling the direct debit. If you owe them anything and then you cancel the DD it can lead to problems.

Just to clarify a bit on my post, when I say 'paid up in full' that also includes any penalties you might owe them for pulling out of your contract early. If I were you I wouldn't cancel it until you get something in writing stating that you're completely paid up and no further charges are going to be applied to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The problem I have gotten recently is that I made calls in advance of the 30 day notice period. Unable to get through, I eventually managed to get some response from e-mail, but at this point I was beyond the notice period. When I did get in contact, I told them I wanted my service cancelled on the specific date. Now they are looking to charge me €45 for 7 days or so.
    I made several attempts to contact them and all I got was that annoying broken hold music. They aren't getting a cent from me- why should I be punished because they are both poorly and under staffed

Advertisement