Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranoid?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Extremely dodgy.

Ring both the credit card company and the shop you made the purchases in to complain.

As far as I'm aware the laws regarding credit cards now state that at no time should the retailer need to take the card out of your presense.
    If the laws don't state that I know the guidelines on safe card usage certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

It seems very strange, how long was she writing for? did it seem like it was possible for her to write down all the numbers in that length of time?

I use my credit card a good bit and I've never had a person take the card out of my line of sight certainly not under a counter. Most of the time the credit card machine is on the desk or counter ready for use. If not, they would take it out and then put the card into it.

Might be a good idea to ring up and check with the banks security adviser, my experience with those people is that they are very good at what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jimoc wrote: »
    Extremely dodgy.

Ring both the credit card company and the shop you made the purchases in to complain.

As far as I'm aware the laws regarding credit cards now state that at no time should the retailer need to take the card out of your presense.
    If the laws don't state that I know the guidelines on safe card usage certainly do.

There is no such law, and there is a balance between keeping the machine in fully view of the customer, and giving easy access to someone to "alter" it when the sales assistant is distracted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You should have asked as you are entilted to know seems as its your card. In my job we have to write the first four digits of a card on the reciept to make sure the card and number in the reciept match. But this seems very dodgy. First thing to do is ring your bank to see if the purchase matches what you bought in the shop.
    Second I would call the place you made the purchase and explain the situation.
    Ask for the manager as they would be able to tell you the procedure for making a purchase with a card.

Even if she did not add extra to the reciept now does not mean she could not do it later. She has your card details on the merchant copy of the slip and could have seen the security number on the back.
    So really if you are worried, which I would be, I would follow it you with the bank, the the store.

• Advertisement
Advertisement