Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter bike - opinions on price & suitability please

• 10-11-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Just got provisional licence and about to embark on lessons and buying gear and bike. Have been looking around various websites but keep coming back to this bike as I love the look of it, any opinions on price sought and suitability as a starter bike? Anyone have any info on them as a dealer?

http://www.grangemotorcycles.com/asp/property.asp?p=50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Wouldn't be my cup of tea but it would be fine as a starter bike.

Id get engine bars or crush mushrooms though.. just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭rcottere

Thanks for the advice hobochris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I started off on a 125 version of that. I loved it. Be a great starter bike.
    One of me mates bought an SV650 from them lads months back. He said they where excellent to deal with and would have no problem going back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Perfect starter bike. Over 125, you can do your test on it too.

Thanks for that seany & quint, having my head turned by Yamaha Dragstar 250 now as well, window shopping for bikes is great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have a look at the Honda Varadero

Was my first bike. Some say it's ugly but not me! Not powerful though but it is a 125

Few links here
    http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/bike.asp?VType=6&Make=Honda&brsMod=VARADERO%20125

Thanks Mike, nice bike but I'm kind of sold on the cruiser style if that's the right terminology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

rcottere wrote: »
    Thanks Mike, nice bike but I'm kind of sold on the cruiser style if that's the right terminology.

Good thing about cruisers for starting out is that you can get both feet flat on the ground handy enough. Gives you a bit of confidence starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I started off on the same bike only it was an 01. I paid the same price just over a year ago so I'd ask him to know a bit off the price. It's a very good starter bike.

The only thing you need to be worried about is the back brake, in this weather it can start to rust up and sieze as it's cable operated. Just squirt a bit of lube down on a regular basis and you'll be sorted.

Go for it mate, you won't regret it. Upgrade after you get your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

mikemac wrote: »
    Have a look at the Honda Varadero

Was my first bike. Some say it's ugly but not me! Not powerful though but it is a 125

Few links here
    http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/bike.asp?VType=6&Make=Honda&brsMod=VARADERO%20125

They really made the chassis too heavy on the varadero and it is too much for the 125 engine. Just sit on one and you'd be surprised by the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wasnt to mad about the varadero to be honest. Nice looking. Nice and hi. I just found that even for a 125 I found it seriously under powered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Howy,

I'm on a similar trail as rcottere. Looking at a few starter bikes - Dragstar 125 (thanks rcottere!) and a Suzuki Intruder 125 among them. Anybody know anything about that Suzuki? Or a Honda Rebel? Also, am I nuts getting a 125? Is this just not powerful enough for the weight of a motorbike? Also, I am applying for the A class test - can I do this test on a 125 or would I need to test on something bigger?

Any tips or info appreciated! Very eager to get on the road. Rented a 125 scooter on holidays last month and it opened my eyes to biking!

Gumby.

Advertisement