Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beers and ales

Options
  • 10-11-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

was over in Uk at weekend and was at a beer and ale festival and there was an alcoholic ginger beer called crabbies and also an elderflower and lime variant of kopperberg cider available in bottles that were both amazing. why arent these types of booze available here. was speaking to barman and said that these are available all the time....
    and why is kopperberg cider 6.50 euro a bottle in porterhouse and in tesco for same size it is 2.77 euro???? that is why pub trade is down.. rip off prices and lack of selection..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

drewbedo wrote: »
    was over in Uk at weekend and was at a beer and ale festival and there was an alcoholic ginger beer called crabbies and also an elderflower and lime variant of kopperberg cider available in bottles that were both amazing. why arent these types of booze available here. was speaking to barman and said that these are available all the time....
    and why is kopperberg cider 6.50 euro a bottle in porterhouse and in tesco for same size it is 2.77 euro???? that is why pub trade is down.. rip off prices and lack of selection..

Didn't you shout at Pat Kenny last night?

Pick a cause and stick with it dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

not another drug thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

drewbedo wrote: »

In tesco at the moment 20 bottles of heineken for 20 euro, 4.50 a bottle in a pub. One of my mates parents owns a pub, according to them its more expensive for pubs to buy beer than supermarkets, and they come in slightly different shaped bottles so they cant just sell beer bought in tesco. bottles have always been a rip off in pubs anway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

That elderflower kopparberg can be got in the North. Tasty stuff, a bit weird at first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

tesco vodka + tesco orange isotonic drink. Why anyone would bother with beer is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That elderflower kopparberg can be got in the North. Tasty stuff, a bit weird at first though.

Yeah it's lovely, but too easy to drink too much of it imo

and the sugar in it makes hangovers 10 times worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

emmmmm tesco is english...so stock is imported....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

In tesco at the moment 20 bottles of heineken for 20 euro, 4.50 a bottle in a pub.

is it a 330ml bottle or a 300ml bottle and what's the %alc volume.

Tesco (and other places) often have these deals but I have discovered a lot of the time that the bottle size is only 300ml and/or the alc % is lower than the norm for the particular type of beer.

You couldn't be up to them, so you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

Sorry if this deviates a little from your point OP, but I've heard before that the reason we have much less choice in pubs here than in the UK is because Guinness/Diageo has some kind of stranglehold on the market whereby they threaten to withdraw their products if publicans stock too much of the competition. Does anybody know if there is any foundation in these claims?

Yes, I am aware that it sound like a conspiracy theory and is probably nonsense. Just curious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Isnt there way more breweries in England in local areas and they usually own the pub and lease it to a landlord. Here Diageo just import a selection of beers that bars stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

go on the gargle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    is it a 330ml bottle or a 300ml bottle and what's the %alc volume.

Tesco (and other places) often have these deals but I have discovered a lot of the time that the bottle size is only 300ml and/or the alc % is lower than the norm for the particular type of beer.

You couldn't be up to them, so you couldn't.

Il check the fridge when i get home :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

spylon wrote: »
    Sorry if this deviates a little from your point OP, but I've heard before that the reason we have much less choice in pubs here than in the UK is because Guinness/Diageo has some kind of stranglehold on the market whereby they threaten to withdraw their products if publicans stock too much of the competition. Does anybody know if there is any foundation in these claims?

Yes, I am aware that it sound like a conspiracy theory and is probably nonsense. Just curious..

Also whenever Guinness/ Diageo do come out with something other than the standard Guinness the Irish tend to turn their noses up at it and don't drink the stuff. Although there is some hope for a bit of variety with there being more Porterhouses about now where you can get better stuff than just Bud and Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

vinylmesh wrote: »
    tesco vodka + tesco orange isotonic drink. Why anyone would bother with beer is beyond me.

Because I am not a 16 year old girl

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

raptorman wrote: »
    Isnt there way more breweries in England in local areas and they usually own the pub and lease it to a landlord. Here Diageo just import a selection of beers that bars stock.

That isnt quite true, yes there are more breweries in England & there are pubs that are owned by the breweries. There are also a lot of free-houses which are not brewery affiliated so they can stock what ever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

the elderflower rekorderlig cider is quite nice. Not as sugary as kopparberg. You can get it in most off licenses... though i've only seen it in one or two pubs..

Advertisement