Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Landlord but undoubtedly not a new problem!

Options
  • 10-11-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

i've just recently rented out my house as i moved to another county to go back to college. The problem is one of the tenants is after calling me telling me there was damage done to the house by guests of another tenant who decided to have an afternoon session in the house.
    Do i have the right to kick this one girl out and keep her deposit in lieu of damage? i dont think it would cover what shes allowed to get broken though
    do i need to call the guards about it, the girl knows who done it since she invited them in!
    any help would be greatly appreciated. oh and the house is registered with PRTB in case anyones wondering!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Out of curiosity did you take pictures of the property before moving in? If you did, check to make sure that there was damage done.

If not then tell the girl to get money from said person who damaged something in the house. If that's not happened then tell her that the amount of money the landlord is looking for will come from her deposit.

You shouldn't have to bare the brunt of someone elses stupidity.

EDIT: Also did the landlord say before you moved in that you couldn't invite anyone around? If he/she did then your housemate is in violation of the terms of agreement and because of this you may not get your deposit back either.
    Plead your case and tell your landlord that you had nothing to do with it and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

i am the landlord...:P

it was my tenant who rang me and told me about the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does the lease say?

Are you renting out rooms or are you renting the whole property to a group. If the former, tell the party holder that they as a lodger have a week (or some other reasonable time) to come up with the money for the repairs (emphasise) or they will have to move out (don't necessarily emphasise). Make sure you have their contact details. If the latter, you get to hold the whole group (and their deposit) responsible, but you have to give them more notice. If they don't come up with the money, you could have then evicted for anti-social behaviour with reduced notice. Issue the notice sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

That_Guy wrote: »
    EDIT: Also did the landlord say before you moved in that you couldn't invite anyone around?

A landlord is not allowed to prevent tenants from having their friends round... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP, accidents happen. Have you actually seen the damage? You should take a look, and ask the girl to pay for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

eth0_ wrote: »
    A landlord is not allowed to prevent tenants from having their friends round... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP, accidents happen. Have you actually seen the damage? You should take a look, and ask the girl to pay for repairs.

i def dont mind them having friends around i do object to the friends they bring around damaging my house. as i said i dont live in the same county as the house that i am renting out so im going on what the other tenants tell me and what my parents have seen.

managing to shatter 1/2 inch thick glass shelf is not in my book accidental damage considering the shelf was on the mantle... nor is a broken chandlier thats been pulled from the roof accidental... nor is the amount of food the other tenants had to clean off the roof in the kitchen accidental!

the house is rented to a group but there is only trouble with one and i dont think i should punish the other 2 because of the first one. she has told them she is moving out and hasnt told me so i rang her this evening and she wasnt even the slightest bit apologetic about the whole incident. she as said she will repair damage, which ive given her until friday to do. as i dont see why the other should have to live in a house that she has wrecked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement