Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DOS/Command Prompt Issue

• 10-11-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Ok, more or less, the problem is that a while back I did a computer science course and during it, we were asked to compile something (I think it could have been Java but I'm not sure) using Command prompt.

This involded using CD or Change Directory it was really annoying and it kinda all went wrong (It didnt work for anyone) but the problem now is I can't get back to the path the the DOS was originally on so commands like 'ipconfig' and 'tracert' don't work.

When I type in commands like the one's above I get the following error message in a pop up box..."The ordinal 1001 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOCK32.dll.

My current path setting is E:\ Documents and Settings\Administrator

I believe the original path was C:\WIN system 32 or something along those lines but I'm not sure.

So, Anyone know what's wrong here?

Any help is most appreciated :D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok, more or less, the problem is that a while back I did a computer science course and during it, we were asked to compile something (I think it could have been Java but I'm not sure) using Command prompt.

This involded using CD or Change Directory it was really annoying and it kinda all went wrong (It didnt work for anyone) but the problem now is I can't get back to the path the the DOS was originally on so commands like 'ipconfig' and 'tracert' don't work.

When I type in commands like the one's above I get the following error message in a pop up box..."The ordinal 1001 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOCK32.dll.

My current path setting is E:\ Documents and Settings\Administrator

I believe the original path was C:\WIN system 32 or something along those lines but I'm not sure.

So, Anyone know what's wrong here?

Any help is most appreciated :D

You mean the PATH environment variable? You can set that manually with SET PATH=c:\.....;d:\...;blah;blah;

Otherwise, right click My Computer, choose the advanced tab, and there's an environment variables button there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

Spear wrote: »
    You mean the PATH environment variable? You can set that manually with SET PATH=c:\.....;d:\...;blah;blah;

Otherwise, right click My Computer, choose the advanced tab, and there's an environment variables button there.

I tried using the both SET PATH and the eviornment variables window in My computer and I tried many different variables, maybe I'm doing it wong? I'm not even sure what variable/path I have to change it to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I tried using the both SET PATH and the eviornment variables window in My computer and I tried many different variables, maybe I'm doing it wong? I'm not even sure what variable/path I have to change it to.

The usual is something like

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

Spear wrote: »
    The usual is something like

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;

It didn't work either, Should I be using the user variables for administrator or the system variables?

It might be significant to mention that I'm running on Windows 2000 on this machine.

Maybe I should try suing CD? (Change directory) because SETH PATH doesn't seem to work, thing is I dont know what Path I should put it to.

It didn't work either, Should I be using the user variables for administrator or the system variables?

It might be significant to mention that I'm running on Windows 2000 on this machine.

Maybe I should try suing CD? (Change directory) because SETH PATH doesn't seem to work, thing is I dont know what Path I should put it to.

PATH is a system wide variable, it bears no connection to your current directory.

You should be setting it as a system variable. The contents of the user variable PATH are simply appended to the system variable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

PATH is probably not the problem. Well not directly. You have more than one version of WSOCK32.dll and the commands are picking up the wrong one. The bad one is likely to be in "E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" or somewhere on your PATH. The correct one is (probably) in "C:\Windows\System32". Assuming C:\Windows is where Windows is installed. Since, the commands worked in that directory/folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Your java install messed up your environment variables.
    Check to see are you missing a ; in the PATH, there used to separate directories.
    96166.PNG

And since your programming all whats happening is your java needs to access an external function inside the dll so it uses the ordinal to look it up. It's kinda of like using an offset.
    Hope ya figure it out.

Advertisement