Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I keep my PS3

• 10-11-2009 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have a PS3 that i got as a gift 2 years ago. I like it but don't give it much use at all.

A guy in work knows someone looking to trade a Xbox 360 elite for a Ps3 and I think I might do it. My mates back home all have 360's and would be cool to play games online and stuff, which is where the 360 seems to be on top.

The only compelling reasons I can think of for keeping the Ps3 are, GT5, its nice and quiet, and plays blue Ray movies, although i have only 2 blue ray discs.

Can anyone give me their reasons they believe I should hold onto Ps3, like are upcoming games going to be far superior or is there some other big reasons to stick with it?

Any General advice welcome
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If all your friends are on the 360 and you want to play online then get the 360. Although I'd be wary about a 2nd hand 360. Make sure you also get the original receipt off him I guess, dunno. Maybe ask in the Xbox forum what's required to send a 360 in to MS to be repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

setanta5 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me their reasons they believe I should hold onto Ps3...

Uncharted 2

Close Thread,
    CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

On average, 54% of 360s fail.
    It doesnt play blu rays.
    You will have to pay microsoft a subscription just to play online.
    Theres great exclusive PS3 titles coming out early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Listen, it doesn't matter about the benefits of the PS3 over the 360, it matters that his friends aren't on PSN and he wants to play online with them.

In the end of the day you will get more enjoyment playing and chatting online with some friends then you will playing it on your own. Uncharted 2 is an amazing game, but I still think my best gaming experience in recent memory was L4D because I played it with a bunch of people online and shared the experience.

OP, there are a lot of good reasons to keep the PS3, are you sure there isn't a section of your friends that would also own it and would play online? With the new smaller/cheaper PS3 out are you sure they won't be getting it themselves for Xmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,480 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still get the majority of my fun from Single Player experiences persoally.

If you find yourself playing online more than anything else then go ahead.

Very few of the people on my PSN friends' list I actually know in person - can't say it takes away from the experience that much. Sometimes it is more hassle arranging a game than just jumping in with randomers (although that could be a failing of psn infairness).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Im starting to buy more movies on blu-ray.
    Im not a huge online gamer, every now and then, buzz mostly on line great fun. So i can't bring myself to pay a subscription.

But i've never played anybody i know in person online. Its fun but usually when i play online im reminded how rubbish iam really!

But as both 360 and PS3 are similar enough both have there good and bad sides do what you really want.

Im a bit of a sony fan boy, or more of a microsoft hate-boy! Im scared of bill gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Tell your friends to trade in their xboxs and get ps3s:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

dont buy a 360 !!!

look at what my neighbor thought of it

its still there if you want it. dont know about the rest of it but that is the console ! haha

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4472/10112009038.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

setanta5 wrote: »
    I have a PS3 that i got as a gift 2 years ago. I like it but don't give it much use at all.
    Is it a 60GB model by any chance? Because they are worth a lot more than a 360 Elite as they play PS2 games. You might be able to get a lot for it on Adverts.ie - enough to buy a new Elite at least.

I agree with Leimrod, if you enjoy playing online you'll enjoy it more with friends. But the amount of people with both PS3's and 360's is growing - are you sure your friends won't go and get PS3's to go with their 360 this Christmas or early next year? Games like Uncharted 2, God of War 3 and as you mention Gran Turismo 5 might tempt them.

I'd also be vary wary of a second hand 360, unless it's one of the newer models (Jasper or Falcon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Xbox live with friends is great, got loads of use out of it with Halo, gears, ghost recon: aw etc..Great craic.

I've never actually used PSN so dunno how it compares, but there's 13 month subs to xbox live to be had for €29 online, which isn't bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

cabrwab wrote: »
    Im starting to buy more movies on blu-ray.
    Im not a huge online gamer, every now and then, buzz mostly on line great fun. So i can't bring myself to pay a subscription.

But i've never played anybody i know in person online. Its fun but usually when i play online im reminded how rubbish iam really!

But as both 360 and PS3 are similar enough both have there good and bad sides do what you really want.

Im a bit of a sony fan boy, or more of a microsoft hate-boy! Im scared of bill gates!
    That pretty much sums up my opinion of it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

Thanks for all the advice, I am thinking I iwll just hold on to it for now. Mostly because of GT5 to be honest, was always a huge fan of the GT games, but have not had much time to play video games in past couple of years, since getting the Ps3 really. But recenlty been chatting to my mates from home who are playing online together in various games like halo and thought it might be an idea. Will maybe pick one up in the new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Halo would be the only reason I would consider getting a 360.

They are extremely prone to failure, just ask a user about the red ring of death for proof. Someone quoted a figure of 54% earlier which i'd very well believe. For that reason alone I'd never buy a second hand one as you are gonna need every day of the guarantee that comes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Quazzie wrote: »
    They are extremely prone to failure, just ask a user about the red ring of death for proof. Someone quoted a figure of 54% earlier which i'd very well believe. For that reason alone I'd never buy a second hand one as you are gonna need every day of the guarantee that comes with it.
    In fairness, I would believe the launch models were possibly that bad but Microsoft have made improvements to the hardware, such that I think the newer models have a much lower failure rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Get both, I did and I', at least 60% happier now then I was. I do tend to buy non exclusives on PS3 now though since my experience with RROD I officially don't know anyone who hasn't got the RROD..........scary. PS3 is for big boys. Saying that I'm glad I got Xbox version of MW2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quazzie wrote: »
    Halo would be the only reason I would consider getting a 360.

Gears of war for me and Splinter Cell Conviction...haven't played much of Halo, I have seen the lads playing it...I don't see the big deal to be honest!

Advertisement