Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I swap my Ps3 for Xbox 360 Elite?

• 10-11-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have a PS3 that i got as a gift 2 years ago. I like it but don't give it much use at all.

A guy in work knows someone looking to trade a Xbox 360 elite for a Ps3 and I think I might do it. My mates back home all have 360's and would be cool to play games online and stuff, which is where the 360 seems to be on top.

The only compelling reasons I can think of for keeping the Ps3 are, GT5, its nice and quiet, and plays blue Ray movies, although i have only 2 blue ray discs.

Can anyone give me their reasons they believe I should hold onto Ps3, like are upcoming games going to be far superior or is there some other big reasons to stick with it?

Any General advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭AcePuppetMaster

Hi setanta5, do you have a 60GB or 40GB? If it was a 60GB, I'd hold onto it.

Elites are 124.99 in Gamestop at the moment with 4 traded in games. If you wanted to go the whole hog and purchase the 250GB Elite (Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition) for 300 yoyos, then that surely would be great.

Xbox 360s are getting cheap as chips at the moment, I'd get one with a garuantee though and new really is the way to go. I have had 5 xbox 360s, 2 were second hand, 1 was brand new out of the box. MS fixed it though (faulty drive).

PS3s tend to be worth more imho.

I own both consoles and am not biased in either way.

Want reasons to keep the PS3? (Biased account since this is what you asked for):

Wireless as standard
    Free online play
    Free online play (not a copy and paste error, just worth mentioning twice is all!!!)
    Light controller but once I got the triggers and Dualshock3, I couldn't go back
    60GB, 40GB and 80GB are Linux compatable (new 125GB & 250GB aren't!)
    Bluray (gotta have the TV though too)
    PS3 is worth more than an Xbox 360
    Graphics tend to be slightly better on the PS3 imho!

Want wireless on an xbox? Pay more!
    Want to play online? Pay more!
    Want to watch HD DVD's? We don't make them anymore, but pay more and you can get some old ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I picked up an elite last week ,my first 360. It's a great machine and actually quieter than my ps3.

I find the controller more comfortable on the xbox and prefer the xbox live menus. It's compatible with other microsoft hardware thats lying around aswell:)

The ps3 is handy for watching blu-rays and games like drakes fortune etc.
    I'd rather play online on the xbox now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In terms of games I'd say there are enough PS3 exclusives to justify holding onto it alright. The likes of Resistance 2, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, MGS, Demons Souls and Infamous at retail coupled with a some great PSN games like Wipeout HD, Thrine et all are all out now. Plus you have some great games coming up next year like God Of War III, Heavy Rain and GT5.

BluRay is great but if you only have two movies after two years it's kind of obvious it's not a big selling point for you.

PSN may be free but XBL is better (and worth it imo) as has been covered to death in various topics on this forum. Plus if all your friends are on it then it'll be more fun to game online.

I duno though, can you really not afford a 360 separately at some point? If not then judging by what you've said you may as well trade it but certainly make sure he throws in some games or something as the PS3 should be worth a bit more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

Answer is simple ........ NO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Answer is simple ........ NO!
    wrong. partly because it is not a simple choice, but mostly cause holding onto the ps3 is the wrong choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Want reasons to keep the PS3? (Biased account since this is what you asked for):

Wireless as standard
    Free online play
    Free online play (not a copy and paste error, just worth mentioning twice is all!!!)

Want to watch HD DVD's? We don't make them anymore, but pay more and you can get some old ones!

Dont forget you have to buy batteries for your conrtollers on the xbox... you just have to plug the PS3 controllers into the PS3 to charge them,,,

Oh and its free to play online with PS3!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

setanta5 wrote: »
    I have a PS3 that i got as a gift 2 years ago. I like it but don't give it much use at all.
    I'm not gonna post some bull**** fanboy comments like others in this thread, but this seems like a pretty good reason to swap it to me.If you rarely play it, and think you might get more enjoyment out of the 360, why not swap it?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

keep your PS3 and buy an xbox 360. you will regret parting with your PS3. you will also regret not buying a 360. it's the only logical solution to the problem.
    I guess this won't be of much help to you, but life is hard sometimes. you just have to take it one day at a time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Only reason i would swap would be because your mates have the 360's i have found little or no difference in the 2 machines bar the xbox keeps costing me money to run with batteries and xbox live subscriptions. But i use the PS3 more purely because thats where most of my mates are. If they had xbox's id use that more. Thats the only reason to swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd have to say keep the PS3 for it's media capability and exclusives..And get the 360 for it's overall better gaming experience.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I use rechargeable AA NiMH batteries in my Xbox controllers, problem solved.
    Get the hybrid versions and you're sorted, they'll last ages. All uniross NiMH batteries in Maplin are hybrid now iirc and cost around €15 for 4 batteries and a charger.

The fact that your mates play online on the xbox is a good reason to consider swapping.
    However this comes with downside of the annual subscription fee.
    (I have a basic Silver account as I leave my online gaming to the PC, the xbox is more for casual gaming for me so I'm not bothered)

There are a few other things that may or may not interest you.

You can install Linux on the older PS3s and you have a proper web browser.
    Twitter and Facebook are also coming to the xbox but meh, I'd rather just have a web browser.
    With a Gold subscription and a Sky sub you can access the Sky Player on the Xbox.

As above, if you have the 60GB PS3 with the better Cell processor, it's worth a lot more than the others.

If you're into racing games, Forza 3 is getting good reviews and should compete directly with GT5. They both look the same to me tho!

Devs are lazy and often the PS3 gets shafted with substandard versions of games. Ghostbusters and the Orange Box for example, but in the end most of the games are essentially identical on both systems. Exclusives may of course be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

I'd keep the PS3. It's so much better in so many ways especially the fact that you don't have to pay to play online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

ryanch09 wrote: »
    I'd keep the PS3. It's so much better in so many ways especially the fact that you don't have to pay to play online!
    Thats only one way!

If I where you id get the xbox so you can play with your mates online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

mcgooch wrote: »
    keep your PS3 and buy an xbox 360. you will regret parting with your PS3. you will also regret not buying a 360. it's the only logical solution to the problem.
    I guess this won't be of much help to you, but life is hard sometimes. you just have to take it one day at a time....

Yep

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

360=better games ps3=better machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

A guy in work knows someone looking to trade a Xbox 360 elite for a Ps3 and I think I might do it. My mates back home all have 360's and would be cool to play games online and stuff, which is where the 360 seems to be on top.

The only compelling reasons I can think of for keeping the Ps3 are, GT5, its nice and quiet, and plays blue Ray movies, although i have only 2 blue ray discs.

Can anyone give me their reasons they believe I should hold onto Ps3, like are upcoming games going to be far superior or is there some other big reasons to stick with it?

Any General advice welcome

The ps3 is a great bit of kit, but if your not using it then you might as well swap it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Xluna wrote: »
    360=better games ps3=better machine.

I wouldnt say better games, both have good exclusives, depends which you prefer.

Wireless as standard
    Free online play

To please Kiith, I'll give reasons to get the xbox 360:

Controller is great (way heavier than the original PS3 controller) but this is a good thing imho! Also you can get the plug & charge kits.
    Xbox Live is by general concensus much better than PS3 online.
    Your mates all have one.
    The general shape of the xbox is cool because you can stack it (if youhave Sky for example)

As for the games, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have their own cool exclusive games like Metal Gear, Uncharted, Gears, Halo etc. Both have most of the top games like COD MW 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Alien vs Predator etc.

I'd advise to keep the PS3 (consider it a Bluray player with extras) and buy a 360 new if you can afford it at all. Otherwise do the trade, pay the subscription and enjoy online gaming like it's meant to be with your mates.

I personally have both and given a choice, I'm not sure which one I'd get rid of, but the monetary value of Xboxes are so cheap now, I'd probably let it go just because I would be able to afford to get one again. That's just my personal opinion. If the price was different and the PS3 cheaper, then I'd choose that.

Good luck and hope we helped you decide.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I like it but don't give it much use at all.

why? and is this likely to change if you were to trade it for the 360?

As mentioned PS3 are worth more then 360 so why not try and sell yours and just buy a second hand 360, or even just buy a cheap second hand 360 and keep the playstation and if you don't get value out of it just resell it on at a small loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd get both - that way there's no need for console wars, and I get to choose the better version of a game - and I can get both consoles' exclusives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'd get both - that way there's no need for console wars, and I get to choose the better version of a game - and I can get both consoles' exclusives.

Exactly right.

That's what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

One thing I would be asking is if he modded the console at all, a few opportunist's may be trying to sell/trade banned consoles right now.. I would be skeptical about a trade at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive had both PS3 & 360! I sold the PS3 because I never played it. All my friends have 360's

Xbox live is just under 30 euro a year and if anyone complains about that theres something wrong with you.

OP you answered your own question by saying "I have a PS3 that i got as a gift 2 years ago. I like it but don't give it much use at all."

I was in the same boat but at the end of the day id rather play with my real friends!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

smooch71 wrote: »
    Exactly right.

That's what I do.

saaaame here :D lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

Not a fanboy comment but i wud prefer the Xbox, swap it if u feel lik u wud get more use outta it.

I love my Xbox.

sooo much fun1!!!!

XD ;)

Advertisement