Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Normality of Madness"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

After 21 hours, 145km and 5th. Savage stuff. Hard to comprehend I'll have another whole day and a night's sleep ahead and you'll be still running. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Pass on my regards aimman, he's going great guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

fri/sat/sun ....nice sneaki 164mile run...164
    mon.....easi 2km...1.5

rtd..79
    mtd..827.5
    tof..cant add at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Brilliant running! Hope you're going to put up a race report. All that running thats equivalent to two seasons of 24 (even longer cos they have ad breaks), you'll have to fill us in on how you managed it!

saturday....nice easy trot around clane,no nasty niggles:)....3.5
    rtd...80
    mtd,831
    tof...160;;20

• Advertisement

sunday...went out as it was so nice .....4 easy miles...4
    rtd..81
    mtd,,,835
    tof...161;10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

YOu put the ULTRA in ultraman! What a guy. WOuld love to hear more about the 48hour event.
    Glad the body is letting you carry on and that you have no injuries post after your fantastic achievement.

Pre-race …up out of scratcher as late as I could, and concentrated on getting as much fuel and liquids into me as I could stomach as the weather was heating up much more than in the previous few days…………. Race start was at 1pm, so it was gonna be a hot start. I had previously decided to start the first three hours at 10km per hour pace, but with the heat I decided to slow down to 9km per hour and try and keep to that until my first break at 6hours The first 6 hours passed easily enough and with the sun going down brought a bit of relief from the heat. I think I went through the marathon split at 4:40 and the 50km split in 5:25, I remember thinking I would have gotten dragged off the course in the donadea 50km if I had posted this time! I had a planned food stop at around this time and as I was feeling good I was considering keeping on going but my crew, Eddie, insisted I stop as planned. I had a few pot noodles and a banana and changed me socks only to find blisters on 4 toes, so I got Eddie to tape these with duct tape (ala jeffontour) and I was on me way was still feeling good for a couple more hours but was beginning to slow down and felt a bit sick. I stopped for a second at my table and started to spew up banana and noodles and water, reason being I didn’t allow for less liquid intake as the evening was getting cooler and just kept drinking what was in my food plan(mistake #1).after about 10 hours I was hitting 80km and my feet and legs were starting to burn and there was a massage tent on the go and they were closin down, so I booked my self in few a rub down to be called when they were ready, I think I was in 3or 4th at this stage and about 4 kms ahead of the next guy ,I figured I be in and out in about 15/20 mins and feeling better. The two massagers kept me there for over a 30mins and gave me a lovely foot massage and the other one did something to my belly!! That was to pain me for the next few hours. When I came out me hade dropped a couple of places and lost a few kms on the people ahead of me.i was still feelin good at this stage and and was keeping up the rest of the competiters doin 7/8 kms per hour. The next few hours were fairy uneventful with my fsolid feul breaks at 12hrs(92 km) and 18 hrs(127km) and just trying it keep well fuelled and starting to take on a bit more liquid as the day was starting to break and sun starting to come up and it was really getting warm.at the end 22 hours(150km) I had planned on takin a 2 hour food and sleep break to coincide with the start of the 24hr race start,so I called for eddie to have my sleepin bag and drinks ready in my tent and the food ready after 1hr 20.(mistake#2).i woke up after about 30 mins worse off than before I got in and really dehydreated due to the sauna like conditions in the tent,I should of gone in to the air conditioned race HQ,and crawled into the race HQ and the bit I remember is sittin on a chair wonderin how I was gonna make it to the jax without collapsin outside the medical room.met this bird who help me to the jax and sat me on it and went and got eddie,who lay me down and horsed a litre of electrolyte into me lay me down and I conked out for a n hour..so I lost nearly 3 hours here due to a stupid mistake and was well behind the 4 in front of me.it was still fairly hot so I just concentrated on getting 5/6kms in every hour for the nex 9 hours and keepin well fed.i got to 200km at 11pm sat nite which was a good milestone and confidence booster with 14hours to go.i think the guy in front of me had 8 km on me and the guy behind was 20 behind me,so I didn’t think I would lose a place . I decided to have a SIS recovery drink as me legs were getting a bit sore and had an hours break after 206 kms.i came back well refreshed and looking back should have had more of these drinks included in my food plani couldn’t stomach any more electro of 4 in 1 so I got eddie to mix everything together and make it taste like coke,if he could remember the recipe he’d make a fotrtune out of it.the guy in front of me was a former winner of this event and the othe two were also past entrants .i think he was about 15kms ahead at this stage and I think I got back 6kms off him over the next few hours ,but while I was leggin it ,he was restin and the three greeks were workin together runnin in group for most of this time.with 6 hours left I no chance of catchin him so eddie calculated what I could realisticly get to which was 265kms and id be still in 4th place male as mami kudo,the japanese lady was winnin comfortbly.the sun had come up again and was beatin the ****e outta me againin the last 6 hours I posted a 5k,5k,6k,6k,5k,and what ithought was a 4 km lap which would of brought me to 265,but the computer said 264 at the end and I was in no mood to argue,so all in I was happy enough with my performance as 250 was my minimum and had 300 as a very best scenario,and have learned lots for the next one….out for pints and sovlaki……..
    What I ate: 10 nutgrain bars with peanut butter and nutella on them
    1 bowl of porridge with an oats and honey granola bar in it
    5 SiS energy bars
    1 bowl of pot noodles
    2 bowls of pasta….1 hot/1 cold
    5 protien bars
    6 SIS gels
    loads of crisps and peanuts
    8 anti inflams
    8 pain killers
    4 bananas
    1 orange

what I drank …..12 + litres of electro
    12+ high 5 ,4 +1 drink
    3 SIS energy sachets
    2 liters coke
    4 luczade sport
    1 SIS recovery drink
    1 alcohol free beer (airplane size)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Fantastic report - Waaaay better than mine!! ;)

thursday....17km cyckle...
    friday....17km cycle and a 5 mile easi run:) around clane...5
    rtd...83
    mtd...840
    tof...163hrs

• Advertisement

monday....nice 11 miles(dnf) in the west of ireland marathon,nice tribute the sarsfield rocks with every one wearing the tipp jersey ....
    rtd..84
    mtd...851
    tof...165

sat..after 2 days of boozin,a nice 3.5 miles around clane,few little niggles..3
    rtd..85
    mtd..854
    tof..165.30

sunday.....nice run after work around clane,just did 4 and a bit and chatted to a hot chick for a few mins:D....4
    rtd..86
    mtd...858
    tof...166:10

If its not cake it felines......;)

tuesday....nice 12 km cyclcre around curragh an d a 5 mile run at a decent clip:)....5
    rtd..87
    mtd...863
    tof...168

thurdsay....4 mile cycle ,5 mile run ,4 mile cycle......nice....5
    rtd..88
    mtd...869
    tof...170

friday....36km cycle to and from work,got pissed on....
    rtd..88
    tof...172
    mtd...869

lechiele 5k.....nice race this morning,met a couple of bordsis,mrslow-chingetti and digigem,got around in just under 22 mins i think, as i was too busy lookin at the camera and holdin me belly in.....3
    rtd..89
    mtd..872
    tof...172+22mins
    ;)aimainn watch.856.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

ultraman1 wrote: »
    lechiele 5k.....nice race this morning,met a couple of bordsis,mrslow-chingetti and digigem,got around in just under 22 mins i think, as i was too busy lookin at the camera and holdin me belly in.....3
    rtd..89
    mtd..872
    tof...172+22mins
    ;)aimainn watch.856.8.

Fair play!
    Saw a few boards AC tops around but I was f***ed to talk at the end. 3rd time for me to run that race and I'm never as fast as I hope! STill knocked a few secs of PB but that hill around 4km is a bugger

sunday...36 km cycle...
    monday...36km cycle...
    tuseday... 60km cycle....
    is this the rite log:D

• Advertisement

tuesday...put my trainin/race shorts/face on and out for a run did 8/9 miles in a bit over an hour,legs a bit wobbly after all the cycling.looked at utube yoke of the race to get lay of the land,lookin 4ward to it know....8
    mtd..90
    rtd...880
    tof...181:30

tues..... 6+ nice sessions,some slow,some faast,some long ,some short....45
    mtd..925
    tof...188
    rtd..96

sat..65 more or so miles and lots of cycling....65
    mtd..990
    rtd..102
    tof..196

monday..nice 5hr marathon run in cork with clareman on his birthday,miles seem to fly in with nice chat with a good group who sneaked off after 20 odd miles....26

tuesday.... 23km cycler and 3 mile run,...3

rtd.104.
    mtd..1019
    tof..202.5

wednes ...8 miles in the rain...8..

thurs.. 11 muiles in the sun..11
    tof...203.5
    mtd..1038
    rtd..106

thurs pm.... fast 5 miles wit club..5
    friday am 12km cycle
    pm slow 11 miles..11
    tof..207:20
    mtd..1054
    rtd..108

sunday...nice early morn 7 mile wakerupper b4 work,and the a nice 11 mille sprint home for mrs um1's finest sunday dinner.....18

monday....hard 9 miles ...9

rtd..111
    tof..211
    mtd..1081

tues...16+
    wed.. 7 and 11 k cycle
    rtd...113
    mtd.1104
    tof..215:40

thurs ....16
    rtd..114
    mtd.. 1120
    tof..218

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

How did the weekend go Ultraman? You had savage running planned.
    Alive ? Well ? Victorious ?:D

Advertisement