Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Normality of Madness"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

wednes...nice 9.5 around donadea...9.5
    rtd..109
    mtd..947.6
    tof..135.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think it looks like I'd better get the white flag out...there's no stopping you and my tactic of taking rest days to catch you up somehow seems to be not working?!

thurs....sneaki 6...
    rtd..110
    tof..136
    mtd..953.6

friday...tiredish 12+ miles , just about missed the hailstones....12
    rtd..111
    mtd..965.8
    tof...137.40

sat...putin up barriers and getting race packs...
    sunday.....standing in the sun all day.
    monday.....severe dehydration and drinking dioralite and salty miwadi all day.had a massage booked so went off to dat ,think she was sanding her elbows since i last went to her,she had/has me in bits
    tuesday...went out tentivly for a 6 miler but legs loosened up so pushed it to 12+...12
    tof..139:20
    rtd..112
    mtd..978

• Advertisement

tuesday pm.. went out for sneaki 9 miles after diner while mrs was paintin kitchen...9
    wednesday...11+ tired miles ..11
    rtd..114
    mtd..998
    tof...142:20

wednesday...nice tireder 6 miles,great feelin to have:)...6
    rtd..115
    mtd..1004
    tof..143.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Congrats on the 1,000 miles completed UM1!
    I thought I'd run you close this week but have been sick the past three days so it was never really on in the end!

thursday...met le cheile for a jaunt around leixlip and back to LC hq for a feast equal or if not better than the one finishers of le cheile 5k got....15
    rtd,,116
    mtd...1019
    tof..145:40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    tuesday pm.. went out for sneaki 9 miles after diner while mrs was paintin kitchen...9
    wednesday...11+ tired miles ..11
    rtd..114
    mtd..998
    tof...142:20

Good to see the goodie bag from Kildare being put to good use ..........;)

• Advertisement

thursday pm ...nice suprisinly not so tired 6+ to end a fews days runnin,off to wrk for 4 days with a few comfermunions in the middle...6
    rtd..117
    mtd..1025
    tof..146:30

saturday...nice 10 around the trails of the park,havent been there in a while...10
    rtd..118
    mtd,,1035
    tof..148

sunday,,,wrk and two communions with two dinners and four cakes:D
    monday....evening 9 with a few leggin bits to prepare me for na fianna 5k tomorrow,cant wait to put in my 5k time and see wat mr mcmillian gives me for 48hrs.....9
    rtd..119
    mtd..1044
    tof..149:10

tuesday,,,5k bob heff race....first real race of the year,met up with the club and a few other regular faces and did the warm up to the start with meno.plan was to leggit for as long as could,splits were 3:47,3:44,4:14,4:10,4:4xish odd,came in on results at 20:11 and never stopped me watch properly as i was nearly pukin,so happy enuf wit that...gun to mat,so will call it an even 20:D..4(includin warm up)
    tof..149:40
    rtd..120
    mtd,,1048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ultraman1 wrote: »
    tuesday,,,5k bob heff race....first real race of the year,met up with the club and a few other regular faces and did the warm up to the start with meno.plan was to leggit for as long as could,splits were 3:47,3:44,4:14,4:10,4:4xish odd,came in on results at 20:11 and never stopped me watch properly as i was nearly pukin,so happy enuf wit that...gun to mat,so will call it an even 20:D..4(includin warm up)
    tof..149:40
    rtd..120
    mtd,,1048
    that's decent enough . Faster than me:)

wednesday...easy run that turned in a hard one very quickly after a few miles,legs feel like they did 50k last nite rather than a sneaki 5k....12.5
    rtd.121
    mtd..1060.5
    tof..151:30

thursday...last long run:),good to get it done in the heat as its lookin likly ill be scorched out of it.......tapaa time:):)....19+
    rtd,,122
    tof,,154:30
    mtd,,1079.75

sunday,nice 6.5 around prosperous to finish off d week
    monday.....15 mile just above lesuirely pace on the bike..
    rtd..123
    mtd,,..1086
    tof..1055.3

tusday 6 mile cycle
    wednesday 21 k cycle
    thursday,,,nada
    friday dip in seapoint grrrrrrr
    saturdaay...easy 4.5 mile run
    rtd,,124
    tof.1056.10
    mtd..1090.5

tue...easy 2 mile run to buy some pain killers and maskin tape...2

• Advertisement

sat,,sneaki 157.3 miles .,,report to follow
    rtd125
    mtd.1247.8
    tof..1102.1

tuesday...easy 3.5, looking for niggles and found 1...3.5
    rtd..126
    mtd..1250.2
    tof..1102.6

]0-6hrs[/B]---really found the goin tough at the start due to the heat and was happy enought to get my bad spell outta the way early:).felt like i was goin nowhere and was the couldnt wait till i passed the first marathon and was gettin grumpy passing the clock lookin at my laps and my position,i think i was down to 14th at one stage,i was just over 6hrs coverin 50k:o
    6-12hrs---stopped for a bit of grub, a toe check and a change of socks,i had about 30 mins rest,i felt great after dis and felt i need to get some miles in durin the night as i knew the heat would wipe me out the next day,i gradually reeled in some places and got up to third place,burning a few too many matches getting there.i kew that i would gradually drop a few places as the runners who i had just passed were resting and would put a few miles on me while i was resting
    12-24after the nigtht shift i spent the next few hrs just getting ks on the clock and and keepin a bit back and gettin the drinks and grub in, for the next night **** as the temp on the track had been recorded at 37deg,i think i dropped to 8 place during this spell
    24hr 48hhad a bit of a kip and woke up to more sun ,bur was still in 8th place,quads were very stiff so booked into massager for a little rub down,nice.walked a couple of laps and started my chase of the guys in front.i knew i wasnt goin to get the milage i wanted,so i just concentrated on wat i need to do the get me up to 4th as i knew that the first three places were a bit away unless one of them dropped or stopped.i think the two guys in 4/5th were 11/15 km in front,so over the next 5hrs i burned every match i had to pass them and i tink i got about 10k up on them as ,i knew i wast gonna be able to run in that heat on next day,so ineeded to get a good as cushion as i could and then assess if i could pass the third person in the final 8hrs,as it happend i was never gonna catch him as i was down to a snails pace for the last part of the race,but still able to keep my place....

Overall i was happy enuf wit my performance and place ,but a little dissapointed with the milage i covered.Looking at the guys who finished in front of me their distances seemed to suffer as well due to the heat so ill take solace in that.Having said that i could of done better,i would of done a lot worse if not for Eammon and me Dad,who had everthing i needed ready when i needed it and really looked after me during the race,makin sure i ate and drank when i needed to , countin laps,making dodgy soup,bursting blisters,cuttin off toes dat had no blisters,doin the maths:re laps and pace and doin some other unmentionable things:eek::eek::eek:
    And many thanks for all the messages they teally helped,....though eammo did say if i spent more time runnin dan readin.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Fantastic race Anto, I cannot imagine what you went through in the heat, and you really shot up the leaderboard towards the end.

Brilliant, inspiring stuff.

Anything you would change in hindsight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

A Legend

Abhainn wrote: »
    A Legend
    :o:

Anything you would change in hindsight?
    prob wud stick to the 10 km races;)....
    we stuck fairly rigidly to the food/pace and rest plan that i drew up and dat was very similar to last years plan in Athens ,apart from some (planned)longer milage,which seemed to work wel.if im doin it again ill problee change my breaks,and may have the zleep break i had at 21hrs a few hrs earlier as i was tired on either side of my 21hr break..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

The most inspiring part of the whole event was in the last hour when 5th Place, Raoul threw in the towel and we knew you couldn't lose 4th place. When you sat down and asked what was the final distance, you only needed one more lap to round up to 250km, but you tapped away at the calculator, got off your arse and knocked up a few more kms to round it up to 6 marathons distance in 48 hours. Savage finish, considering you could have just sat with the feet up for the last hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »
    The most inspiring part of the whole event was in the last hour when 5th Place, Raoul threw in the towel and we knew you couldn't lose 4th place. When you sat down and asked what was the final distance, you only needed one more lap to round up to 250km, but you tapped away at the calculator, got off your arse and knocked up a few more kms to round it up to 6 marathons distance in 48 hours. Savage finish, considering you could have just sat with the feet up for the last hour.
    Should have done 7, lightweight:)

• Advertisement

thurs..easy 3.5,less niggles,,,looking forward to dunshakclin on sat...3.5
    rtd.127
    mtd..1253.7
    tof.1103

Advertisement