Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The Normality of Madness"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

saturday....1hr and half cycle and followed by 8 miles...8
    sunday.....run up to work and back and then 3.5....17
    monday...1hour and half cycle
    tuesday....2hr and 20 run around the curragh with mantra dave...13

rtd..58
    mtd..488
    tof..90..10

wednesday....hour and half cycle:mad:
    thursday......hour and half cycle and 1 hr 20 run....9
    friday.....stag nite.......
    saturday......tetchy 12 miles....12
    rtd..60
    mtd..509
    tof...93..20

sunday....early mornin 7 miles to work(had to post to pass aimman;))...7
    rtd..61
    mtd..516
    tof..94..20

sunday pm...nice longer run home after work,legs need a good hidin from my massager person so getting 1 2moro:),would like to be doin more but u can only do what u can do(j'or;)).......11
    rtd..62
    mtd..527
    tof..96....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ultraman1 wrote: »
    sunday....early mornin 7 miles to work(had to post to pass aimman;))...7

I'll have to get out more, the competition is heating up. :eek:

monday....7+ miles after droppin binlids to skool,and off 4 a massage,my usuall massaeger with fingers like 6 inch nails wasnt available so i had to go with mrs soft hands......7
    rtd..63
    mtd..534
    tof.97..10

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

How many weeks out from the 48 hour are you? What are your plans for tapering out of interest?

jeffontour wrote: »
    How many weeks out from the 48 hour are you? What are your plans for tapering out of interest?
    this friday at 1pm itll be three weeks till the gun goes off.ive not been doing enuf to deserve a proper taper,my last run of 2.5 hours will be 10 days before race day and ill continue to cycle up and back to work up to 6 days b4 the race,unless the price of petrol goes miraclulesly down in price..iv been putiing in about 1.5hrs of cycling daily into my training to make up for miles i cant get time for:mad:

tuesday....still stiff after masseger yyesterday...ran home form work thro the back roads.... 11
    rtd..64
    mtd...545
    tof..98..45

• Advertisement

tuesday..am snappy 7 mile run up to work as i was late;) and car and bike up in work,meetin wk for a slow speed session:rolleyes: tonite.....7
    rtd..65
    mtd..552
    tof..99..50

tuesday pm.....got up to track and wk was already rippin the track up.didnt want to slow down him so i just legged it with him for 200 mtrs any time he passed me out,so it was 6 x 200 mtres with 1mile+ warm down after each 1:o......8(at least)
    rtd..66
    mtd..660
    tof..100..10

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Don't be a stranger. See you again soon I hope??

friday...nice relaxin day at aquagirls on thurs with anice bottle of beer,and then home for a glass of wine,woke up this morn with a hangover:o,took a zym electro and out for a 13mile run,the nicest day so far this year,didnt feel too bad till last mile and now off to me bro's 2nd:eek: wedding,so a few shandys are in order......13
    rtd..67
    mtd...572
    tof..102..

friday...nice relaxin day at aquagirls on thurs with anice bottle of beer,and then home for a glass of wine,woke up this morn with a hangover:o,took a zym electro and out for a 13mile run,the nicest day so far this year,didnt feel too bad till last mile and now off to me bro's 2nd:eek: wedding,so a few shandys are in order......13
    rtd..67
    mtd...572
    tof..102..

Hangover after a bottle of beer and a glass of wine??? You're obviously a purist Ultrarunner so.....:)

sunday...in a jocker after wedding:o,did 11 miles home from work..11
    monday....early morn run to work:)..7
    rtd..69
    mtd..590
    tof..104..20

• Advertisement

tuesday ...nice sunny 11 mile run around the canals from digby bridge to robertstown....11
    rtd..70
    mtd..601
    tof..106..

tuesday pm...easy 4 miles while the dog whisperer was on:confused:...4
    wednesday.....did a 3 hour cycle around curragh and kildare:)..
    rtd..71
    mtd...605
    tof...109

Is this your Taper?

Is this your Taper?
    not yet....

thursday....1:40 cycle...
    friday...early mornin 7 miles up to work....7
    pm...lookin 4ward to runnin home all day,lookin out at the
    sunshine......10
    rtd..73
    mtd..622
    tof..111:30

• Advertisement

sunday...40 min cycle and a 14 mile run after dat:)....14
    rtd..73
    mtd...636
    tof..113:40

monday...3.5 x 8 mins miles...3
    rtd..74
    mtd,,639
    tof..114:10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All ready to go now?

All ready to go now?
    sort of,flyin out on tuesday.have a bit of a chesty cough:mad:(ie: serious man flu dat requires hospitalisation)but hopfull it will be gone by the time i head off.......

sort of,flyin out on tuesday.have a bit of a chesty cough:mad:(ie: serious man flu dat requires hospitalisation)but hopfull it will be gone by the time i head off.......

I'm sure in the course of a 48 hour race you will shake off the bug, pick up another one and no doubt have other such joys to look forward to!

I'm jealous. How will we best keep track of you during the race? Apart from having a live feed from the food stop :)

I'm jealous. How will we best keep track of you during the race? Apart from having a live feed from the food stop :)
    my official biographer will be updating on all my fan pages:D.....or u can ring mcdonalds ......

wednesday....easi 5 around clane...5
    thursday.....did the kildare half mara route with lechiele,few sneaki inclines and railway bridges.....13
    rtd...76
    mtd...657
    tof...116.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Is the twitter thing an option like when we followed the Finland 4?
    I am prepared to embrace the technology to see how you are getting on .:)

ultraman only learned how to cut and paste yesterday:o ,so twittirin mite be a step 2 far.......

just got my delivery of SIS energy and nutrition gels,bars and eletrolyte drinks and now out for a sneaki 5 miler:)....5
    rtd..77
    mtd..662
    tof..117:50

• Advertisement

Best of luck in Athens. I'll be thinking of you still running all those hours before I head off for my little run around Connemara.

Question: Who would have thought when I 1st encountered you 3 years ago during the Conn Ultra that you'd be setting off on a 48 hour racing blitz this week?

Answer: I would have! You seemed crazy enough to try anything and nothing seems to have changed on that front. Best of luck with it, if you need encouragement to keep going at any time just think back to the projectile pooing incident of that Conn Ultra for motivation! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Best of luck in Athens.

All the gang in Leixlip look forward to the Twitterupdates:eek:

just think back to the projectile pooing incident of that Conn Ultra for motivation! :D

just in case any1 vis wondering ,i didnt crap meself....yet

live updates at www.dayrunners.gr and go on to 2011 results,dont know how updatey they will be but seem to be every hours for bthe races that have already started....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Anto. If you can get through 48 hours with manflu, anyone can achieve anything!

All the best. You know what to do..

Ultraman started the race today at 11am Irish time and will be on the 1km loop until 11am Sunday (except for the odd well deserved snooze)

There's no times available yet for the 48hr results, hoping they might start publishing them at the 6 hour interval.

their results link is not working, But I managed to hack into the results

Pos Bib Athlete 6 hours 1 hour 2 hours 3 hours 4 hours 5 hours 6 hours
    1 70 Kudo Mami (JPN) 68 11 23 35 46 57 68
    2 60 Papadopoulos Andreas (Male - CYP) 56 9 19 28 38 47 56
    3 61 Courtney Anth (Male - AUS) 53 9 18 27 36 44 53
    4 62 Lee Anthony Stephen (Male - IRL) 53 8 17 27 35 44 53
    5 69 Anagnostou Konstantinos (Male - GRE) 53 9 18 27 36 45 53
    6 75 Karachristos Stathis (Male - GRE) 49 8 17 26 33 41 49
    7 67 Chalvadakis Georgios (Male - GRE) 48 9 18 27 35 43 48
    8 64 Kazouris Dimitris (Male - GRE) 48 8 17 25 33 41 48
    9 78 Nakos Stylianos (Male - GRE) 46 8 16 23 31 38 46
    10 73 Nikolaidis Sergios (Male - CYP) 45 9 17 26 34 42 45
    11 65 Chelioudakis Emmanuel (Male - GRE) 44 8 16 23 31 38 44
    12 77 Syntetas Stayros (Male - GRE) 44 8 17 26 33 38 44
    13 76 Giannakis Stayros (Male - GRE) 43 8 16 23 31 38 43
    14 74 Antonopoulos Sotirios (Male - GRE) 39 7 15 20 27 33 39
    15 66 Sagmatopoulos George (Male - GRE) 33 8 14 20 24 26 33

Anto is in 4th Place so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

not sure if this will work all the time.

http://www.championchip.gr/liveresults/2011/ultramarathon/48hours/

only 40 hours or so to go.....

After 21 hours, 145km and 5th. Savage stuff. Hard to comprehend I'll have another whole day and a night's sleep ahead and you'll be still running. Keep it up!

Pass on my regards aimman, he's going great guns.

fri/sat/sun ....nice sneaki 164mile run...164
    mon.....easi 2km...1.5

rtd..79
    mtd..827.5
    tof..cant add at the moment

Brilliant running! Hope you're going to put up a race report. All that running thats equivalent to two seasons of 24 (even longer cos they have ad breaks), you'll have to fill us in on how you managed it!

saturday....nice easy trot around clane,no nasty niggles:)....3.5
    rtd...80
    mtd,831
    tof...160;;20

• Advertisement

sunday...went out as it was so nice .....4 easy miles...4
    rtd..81
    mtd,,,835
    tof...161;10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

YOu put the ULTRA in ultraman! What a guy. WOuld love to hear more about the 48hour event.
    Glad the body is letting you carry on and that you have no injuries post after your fantastic achievement.

Pre-race …up out of scratcher as late as I could, and concentrated on getting as much fuel and liquids into me as I could stomach as the weather was heating up much more than in the previous few days…………. Race start was at 1pm, so it was gonna be a hot start. I had previously decided to start the first three hours at 10km per hour pace, but with the heat I decided to slow down to 9km per hour and try and keep to that until my first break at 6hours The first 6 hours passed easily enough and with the sun going down brought a bit of relief from the heat. I think I went through the marathon split at 4:40 and the 50km split in 5:25, I remember thinking I would have gotten dragged off the course in the donadea 50km if I had posted this time! I had a planned food stop at around this time and as I was feeling good I was considering keeping on going but my crew, Eddie, insisted I stop as planned. I had a few pot noodles and a banana and changed me socks only to find blisters on 4 toes, so I got Eddie to tape these with duct tape (ala jeffontour) and I was on me way was still feeling good for a couple more hours but was beginning to slow down and felt a bit sick. I stopped for a second at my table and started to spew up banana and noodles and water, reason being I didn’t allow for less liquid intake as the evening was getting cooler and just kept drinking what was in my food plan(mistake #1).after about 10 hours I was hitting 80km and my feet and legs were starting to burn and there was a massage tent on the go and they were closin down, so I booked my self in few a rub down to be called when they were ready, I think I was in 3or 4th at this stage and about 4 kms ahead of the next guy ,I figured I be in and out in about 15/20 mins and feeling better. The two massagers kept me there for over a 30mins and gave me a lovely foot massage and the other one did something to my belly!! That was to pain me for the next few hours. When I came out me hade dropped a couple of places and lost a few kms on the people ahead of me.i was still feelin good at this stage and and was keeping up the rest of the competiters doin 7/8 kms per hour. The next few hours were fairy uneventful with my fsolid feul breaks at 12hrs(92 km) and 18 hrs(127km) and just trying it keep well fuelled and starting to take on a bit more liquid as the day was starting to break and sun starting to come up and it was really getting warm.at the end 22 hours(150km) I had planned on takin a 2 hour food and sleep break to coincide with the start of the 24hr race start,so I called for eddie to have my sleepin bag and drinks ready in my tent and the food ready after 1hr 20.(mistake#2).i woke up after about 30 mins worse off than before I got in and really dehydreated due to the sauna like conditions in the tent,I should of gone in to the air conditioned race HQ,and crawled into the race HQ and the bit I remember is sittin on a chair wonderin how I was gonna make it to the jax without collapsin outside the medical room.met this bird who help me to the jax and sat me on it and went and got eddie,who lay me down and horsed a litre of electrolyte into me lay me down and I conked out for a n hour..so I lost nearly 3 hours here due to a stupid mistake and was well behind the 4 in front of me.it was still fairly hot so I just concentrated on getting 5/6kms in every hour for the nex 9 hours and keepin well fed.i got to 200km at 11pm sat nite which was a good milestone and confidence booster with 14hours to go.i think the guy in front of me had 8 km on me and the guy behind was 20 behind me,so I didn’t think I would lose a place . I decided to have a SIS recovery drink as me legs were getting a bit sore and had an hours break after 206 kms.i came back well refreshed and looking back should have had more of these drinks included in my food plani couldn’t stomach any more electro of 4 in 1 so I got eddie to mix everything together and make it taste like coke,if he could remember the recipe he’d make a fotrtune out of it.the guy in front of me was a former winner of this event and the othe two were also past entrants .i think he was about 15kms ahead at this stage and I think I got back 6kms off him over the next few hours ,but while I was leggin it ,he was restin and the three greeks were workin together runnin in group for most of this time.with 6 hours left I no chance of catchin him so eddie calculated what I could realisticly get to which was 265kms and id be still in 4th place male as mami kudo,the japanese lady was winnin comfortbly.the sun had come up again and was beatin the ****e outta me againin the last 6 hours I posted a 5k,5k,6k,6k,5k,and what ithought was a 4 km lap which would of brought me to 265,but the computer said 264 at the end and I was in no mood to argue,so all in I was happy enough with my performance as 250 was my minimum and had 300 as a very best scenario,and have learned lots for the next one….out for pints and sovlaki……..
    What I ate: 10 nutgrain bars with peanut butter and nutella on them
    1 bowl of porridge with an oats and honey granola bar in it
    5 SiS energy bars
    1 bowl of pot noodles
    2 bowls of pasta….1 hot/1 cold
    5 protien bars
    6 SIS gels
    loads of crisps and peanuts
    8 anti inflams
    8 pain killers
    4 bananas
    1 orange

what I drank …..12 + litres of electro
    12+ high 5 ,4 +1 drink
    3 SIS energy sachets
    2 liters coke
    4 luczade sport
    1 SIS recovery drink
    1 alcohol free beer (airplane size)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Fantastic report - Waaaay better than mine!! ;)

thursday....17km cyckle...
    friday....17km cycle and a 5 mile easi run:) around clane...5
    rtd...83
    mtd...840
    tof...163hrs

• Advertisement
Advertisement