Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 650w enough for Dual 5850s?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

See above! I think it is, but best to get your learned opinions!

Specifically a Corsair HX650w

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

You should be fine,they only use about 180 watts each at full load

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nope you're gonna need 2 1200W power supplies for each card I'm afraid. :pac:

It should be able to handle it fine, but what else are you running in your system? Will the cards be overclocked? Is your processor overclocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

You'll probaly need to get some power adapters to connect everything to the PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Nope you're gonna need 2 1200W power supplies for each card I'm afraid. :pac:

It should be able to handle it fine, but what else are you running in your system? Will the cards be overclocked? Is your processor overclocked?
    Only 2? I was sure I would need 3! :D

3 HDD, OCd Core i5 (4Ghz), cards probably at stock.

@Farcear: Nope, the HX650 comes with 2 PCIe cables each with 2 Plugs on them :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

IF thats the case you best get your self a few of the new ocz 2KW psu's then get a few of them enermax galaxy 1200W jobbies for your hard drives, That cpu is gonna need at least a 700w antec boyo. Best go out and get a generator too, ya know just incase.

a 500w psu would be fine as long as its got a good solid 12v rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Anti wrote: »
    IF thats the case you best get your self a few of the new ocz 2KW psu's then get a few of them enermax galaxy 1200W jobbies for your hard drives, That cpu is gonna need at least a 700w antec boyo. Best go out and get a generator too, ya know just incase.
    Gotcha!
    Apart from the Antec bit. I'll go out and get me some corsair HX1000s :P
    a 500w psu would be fine as long as its got a good solid 12v rail.
    good good, The 650 has a beefy Single 12v Rail with 54A and 624w :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Look basically you need to scrap your current psu and build yourself a nuclear reactor capable of powering a country with at least 10-15 million people.

Look basically you need to scrap your current psu and build yourself a nuclear reactor capable of powering a country with at least 10-15 million people.

Whoa now, you need to back the feck up... Thats just overkill !

Anti wrote: »
    Whoa now, you need to back the feck up... Thats just overkill !
    You gotta future-proof. You never know he could end up adding another hard drive or plugging in a usb memory stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Keep it green dude - Go Solar !

Then just sit back and wait for the sun to shine :cool:

• Advertisement

You gotta future-proof. You never know he could end up adding another hard drive or plugging in a usb memory stick.

Or god forbid they might actually makesomething useful for those firewire ports, thats gonna take up atleast a few gigawatts ! Cold fusion is clearly the way here OP. Ye be warned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Zero-point energy. Like in Star Ocean 3. Or something. You'd surely need the energies of a self-contained Big Bang to power that mother! hmmm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You need one about.....

49dec12-i-once-caught-a-fish-this-big.jpg

This big

Advertisement