Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanning receipts

Options
  • 10-11-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Like many people, I keep receipts for most things for years. Looking at the folders of paper I have of receipts and guarantees and booklets and you name it, I was thinking about just scanning everything in some wet Sunday, and throwing out the paper.

How would this work from a legal standpoint. If I bought an electrical item 14 months ago, and there's a problem with it next year, would retailers accept a printout of a scanned copy? If I was dealing with someone remotely I'd usually only give them a photocopy of the receipt anyway, so would a printed scan be that different?

Is there any legislation that says you have to be able to provide the original receipt, or has legislation yet to catch up with technology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We would usually accept a copy of a receipt but be aware I could scan in a receipt and make it say anything I want (photoshop) .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    We would usually accept a copy of a receipt but be aware I could scan in a receipt and make it say anything I want (photoshop) .

Indeed, and that's the problem. Given that I'm unlikely to rush home and scan a receipt within 20 seconds of it being issued, the timestamp on the file will mean nothing as in the few days it might take me to get around to scanning it in, I could have done anything in the interim. There is the fact that with the scan the shop could compare it to their own records, but that would be ridiculously time consuming for an item that, say, cost €50 2 years ago. Looks like we're stuck with paper.

Advertisement