Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are we facing a NAMA 2 for personal debt?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

with all the news on a daily basis of people loosing jobs, and being unable to service mortgages, and service personal debt, will we be facing a NAMA 2??

if people cant pay, wheres the money going to come from....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Honda08 wrote: »
    with all the news on a daily basis of people loosing jobs, and being unable to service mortgages, and service personal debt, will we be facing a NAMA 2??

there are already collection agencies that deal with this stuff. as well as a few of the companies who actually buy the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

chris85 wrote: »
    there are already collection agencies that deal with this stuff. as well as a few of the companies who actually buy the debt.

i know that but, in some cases what are the collection agencies going to collect? nada.

banks faced with bad debt, and legal fees to boot, there is a lot of money out there that may never be able to be collected or repaid, and i think that maybe this will become a major problem in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

There is a massive difference between the long-term aggregated debt of a handful of property developers, and the short-term, disaggregated debt of millions of individuals. The former is illiquid, and inflexible. The latter is the opposite if this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Honda08 wrote: »
    Slavery.

The reason we have NAMA is because limited liability means that the speculators can walk away from their debts and the banks get stuck with worthless properties and nothing else. So, the government is artificially keeping those investments viable.

Bailouts are for rich people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I don't think there will be a NAMA 2 or anything similar. What we might have to see is a more flexible bankruptcy law that gives people a second chance at some stage, as opposed to today's "one strike you're out" approach. Otherwise the blacklist will get a tiny bit too big for the size of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Slavery.

The reason we have NAMA is because limited liability means that the speculators can walk away from their debts and the banks get stuck with worthless properties and nothing else. So, the government is artificially keeping those investments viable.

Bailouts are for rich people.

Read the legislation. I'm not sticking up for NAMA, but you have it arseways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Read the legislation. I'm not sticking up for NAMA, but you have it arseways.
    Which part of what I said is incorrect & why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ffs

let me get this straight

we gonna tax and borrow in name of people who acted responsibly with their finances

in order to bailout people who took a gamble

bailouts are a ****ing joke, people should learn to face up to consequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    ffs

let me get this straight

we gonna tax and borrow in name of people who acted responsibly with their finances

in order to bailout people who took a gamble

bailouts are a ****ing joke, people should learn to face up to consequences

I think maybe you are missing the point. Of course people should face up to the consequences, but until 250,000 (decent paying) jobs are created in ireland people won't be able to pay their loans off. This may never happen.

Lets face facts, People on the dole who have high mortgages and other loans are not going to be able to pay their debts back.

The amounts people borrowed were massive and I'm sure in a lot of cases people could be financially crippled for the next 40 years. And before people start saying stuff like, yeah well its their own bleedin' fault, I didn't buy a gaff so why should I have to pay etc etc. My point is that people in this situation may look at their options. 1) Be up to their eyes in debt for the rest of their lives and have a sh1t quality of life. or 2) Or they might say F*ck this. I'm emigrating, at least I'll have a chance to start over in some other country, the bank can go and sh*te.

I think the sh!t could hit the fan soon as the mortgage payers who are on the dole from the last 18 months onwards are going to be coming to the end of the grace periods and arrangements they have with banks and the end of their savings etc, and then we could see some kind of vehicle created to sort out the situation which could be a nama 2, or the banks letting go a % of the mortgage for a % stake of the property.

Because as we have been told "the banks are too big to fail" if joe public starts defaulting on their mortgages the government will doubtless have to bail the banks out (since they won't bail out the home owners)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Daithinski wrote: »
    I think maybe you are missing the point. Of course people should face up to the consequences, but until 250,000 (decent paying) jobs are created in ireland people won't be able to pay their loans off. This may never happen.

Lets face facts, People on the dole who have high mortgages and other loans are not going to be able to pay their debts back.

The amounts people borrowed were massive and I'm sure in a lot of cases people could be financially crippled for the next 40 years. And before people start saying stuff like, yeah well its their own bleedin' fault, I didn't buy a gaff so why should I have to pay etc etc. My point is that people in this situation may look at their options. 1) Be up to their eyes in debt for the rest of their lives and have a sh1t quality of life. or 2) Or they might say F*ck this. I'm emigrating, at least I'll have a chance to start over in some other country, the bank can go and sh*te.

I think the sh!t could hit the fan soon as the mortgage payers who are on the dole from the last 18 months onwards are going to be coming to the end of the grace periods and arrangements they have with banks and the end of their savings etc, and then we could see some kind of vehicle created to sort out the situation which could be a nama 2, or the banks letting go a % of the mortgage for a % stake of the property.

Because as we have been told "the banks are too big to fail" if joe public starts defaulting on their mortgages the government will doubtless have to bail the banks out (since they won't bail out the home owners)

watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Dont forget credit card debt and the credit cards that were maxed out and rolled back into the mortage(equity release) turning short term debt into long term debt) and are now maxed out again. Even if they pay minimum every month that balance is escalating faster. I see a nation of renters starting all over again for the forseeable future.

Advertisement