Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for/Transferring data from static.boards.ie

Options
  • 10-11-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

XP SP3, FF3.5.5.

Seems to run on indefinitely on some windows, but not others. Unique to one server perhaps?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can you try refreshing your user cp. Mine seems to be taking longer than usual and I'm just wondering if it's me or the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Yup.

Just did it there AC, it loaded well enough-but is still loading, as in the message is still there "Transferring data from static.boards.ie".

It's been going on since last night for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It happens regularly for me, since about year ago. I usually just reload and it sorts it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

static.boards.ie is only one machine, but it's not suffering any load issues at the moment.

I'll look into this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mine doesn't seem to pause on any particular thing though. I'm gonna put it down to some problem my end. My net connection has been crap lately, I'm using a new laptop and using firefox which I haven't used in ages so it could be any one of those causing it.

• Advertisement

It seems to be behaving now, Conor.

edit: Back again, refresh ineffective.

Mine doesn't seem to pause on any particular thing though. I'm gonna put it down to some problem my end. My net connection has been crap lately, I'm using a new laptop and using firefox which I haven't used in ages so it could be any one of those causing it.
    Went back to chrome and haven't noticed this yet. So looks like it's firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

This is very hard for us to diagnose. In most cases, after a bit of browsing around boards.ie, you should see little or no traffic to static.boards.ie. This is because the images served from there are given long expire times and your browser shouldn't even be checking for anything.

If your browsers are fetching lots from static.boards.ie then the behaviour is perfectly normal - there's a maximum number of parallel downloads from a single domain that Firefox will do.

If your browsers aren't fetching lots from static.boards.ie then there's only one file that should be downloaded from that domain and it should be triggered by Javascript after the page has loaded and rendered.

Do either of you have Firebug installed?

Nope no firebug. The problem for me wasn't just static.boards.ie. I was sometimes waiting on www.boards.ie, adtech (which is an external ad server thingey so not much you could do about it I imagine) and that bbxmatrix or something. In my case it's just firefox. I switched from it a while ago to chrome because I felt the latest version was quite slow at page loading. I installed firefox on my new laptop yesterday and it was slow at rendering pages, I seen this and hoped it was a boards issue but I installed chrome and everything whizzed by again. So it's just firefox being slower than chrome.

Thanks for your efforts Conor.

I thought this had been solved a few times myself over the last day or two-but without speaking too soon, it seems to be, now.

I'm not running firebug btw-not even sure what it is, without googling it;)

But for AC, I'd peg it as a local issue, even though his problem and PD's are a little different to mine (PD can F5 and get rid of his, whereas AC is getting different delays to me).

As I say, all seems well now :)

• Advertisement

[OT]

BTW, I had chrome for a bit and didn't like it much. Googleupdate.exe, lack of adblock (not that I use it here, chappies!), and all that.

[/OT]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement