Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth having image stabalization on a telephoto lens

• 10-11-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on a tele-photo lens.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 70-300 f4-5.6 lens and I know that I can get either a standard version of it for next to nothing OR I can get the same lens with Image stabalization.

Is it worth paying the extra money for this. I'm going to be shooting sports btw.

Thanks for all replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Image stabilization's only use is in reducing camera shake when using slow shutter speeds, this can be particularly useful with long lenses as they are more prone to showing evidence of camera movement. However, if you are shooting fast-moving scenes and want to avoid blur due to the motion of the subjects, you'll almost certainly be using a shutter speed high enough to eliminate blur due to camera movement.

If you are buying a lens for sports, pick as fast a lens as possible; image stabilization will not help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sometimes.

And sometimes the extra weight completely negates having IS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

swingking wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on a tele-photo lens.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 70-300 f4-5.6 lens and I know that I can get either a standard version of it for next to nothing OR I can get the same lens with Image stabalization.

Is it worth paying the extra money for this. I'm going to be shooting sports btw.

Thanks for all replies :)

I had the standard and now have the IS and the price difference isn't worth it, for the lens it is.
    The IS will help a little with handheld camera shake, but wont freeze a fast moving sports person any better than a non IS.
    You will get VERY similar results with both lens so I'd save the extra towards something a little more exotic.
    Actually I don't even turn the IS on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

uprising wrote: »
    Actually I don't even turn the IS on.

That's probably why you didn't notice any difference ! Jeez, this isn't ROCKET SCIENCE here, people !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but did I hear somewhere the theory of lens based IS is that it gives a full two stops of shutter speed equivalence in stabilisation terms. In camera body IS, just being one full stop. Or was that a divisor of 4 and 2. :confused: Darn it you forgetful mind - This is where someone who can actually recount the specifics can step in and remind me.

I suspect your sports criteria negates the necessity of having it for the purpose that you are contemplating but you might find it useful for other occasional use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

At my age it's essential ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I'd buy the standard lens and if camera shake is an issue for you buy a decent monopod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Thanks for all the replies.

Might considering investing in a monopod instead along with the standard lens.

Brilliant suggestions. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeyvw

Yeah if your shooting sports you dont need it as you will be using a fast shutter speed, you can shoot as low at a 50/40s without image stabalization.

I'd invest in a monopod

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I think would be of the opinion that the IS would be worth it for the telephoto lens - if you are looking a sports, your shots will need to be good to sell.

Also a monopod is essential for a big tele lens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement