Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gibson es 135/ epiphone sheraton

Options
  • 10-11-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

i no this is probably a really stupid question but would it be worth paying an extra 600euro for a secondhand es 135(gibson) over a epiphone sheraton 2. i really love hollow bodies. i own an epi dot and its great. i've seen a gibson 135 for sale and also a sheraton both secondhand. i would ask for opinions on what i should buy. i dont gig , not in a band but really enjoy my guitars and just play at home. is it rediculas forking out for such a guitar when in fact a sheraton could satisfy. i've never played either so would just like to see if anyone had an opinion.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

you'll never,ever regret getting the Gibson....
    even more so if it's an older one,
    don't get me wrong i love epi's but they aren't the same
    eat beans for a few weeks...

here's my '93 135

2210644030055079378S600x600Q85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 slick123

its a 2003 i think. its got the 57' humbuckers. are they still as good as yours with the p90's .

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=160305&cat=16

looks like a winner to me chief!

I love the sound of P-90's and that why i went with the early version but tbh i'd rock that one no problem! :D

those pickups will sound darker/more compressed than mine but they will probably give a more "normal" overdrive too...

DO IT DO IT DO IT

• Registered Users Posts: 44 slick123

thats the one i've been looking at!! looks great. its just 900euro's alot of money that i dont fully have yet!! is that a reasonable price for one. they do seem to be rare. dont see many around. imm into kings of leon and love the look of the leads es-137 there about 1500 in waltons and thats too much for me to pay the 135 i think is fairly simular.
    thanks for the reply's by the way. just to ask , if you where to sell your 135 (which im sure you never would!!) how much would you be looking for it. just to get an idea of there value

cool,no worries man!

eh I paid €1300 back in the height of the good ol' days
    I got the train to Belfast to pick it up,had to walk into the loyalist heartland to get it (I near shat myself as I walked past a lodge!) so it'll never be for sale ever!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Hard to say without actually playing it but it appears to be a a pretty good deal to me. Really like the Gibson ES range of guitars. Having said that I tried out a 137 in guitar center in the states a few years back and the QC was a bit lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ny126

I don't know if this thread is still open but I had to add my 2 cents as I am about to buy a 135. I think if you're looking for a real versatile axe the 135 can't be beat. The p90 sound in a semi-hollowbody is great for blues, jazz, rock and most rootsy styles of music. The Sheraton is a semi-hollow guitar too but to me the humbuckers make it more of an all around jazz guitar.

This kid in this video (bottom of the page) blends a nice mix of jazz, blues and rock chops and really shows the versatility of the 135:

http://www.archtopelectric.com/gibson-es-135/

Advertisement