Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Reserve SFP

• 10-11-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I've been going through the mill over the last 6 years to get a bit of land transferred from a parent. Now I've given up and I've applied for REPS and the SFP (a bit late I know).
    I don't have a lease on the place and its not in my name. I'm farming it with my own herd no.
    The Dept. aren't happy with the standard REPS covering letter from the parent that the place is at my disposal for the length of the plan - its been ok for the REPS people but not the SFP.
    I've been told a lease might attract stamp duty.
    Has anyone come up with any sort of a 'legal document' that might satisfy them and get me into the SFP club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

spoutwell wrote: »
    I've been told a lease might attract stamp duty.

Stamp duty on a lease is a pittance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

Stamp duty on a lease is a pittance.

I was more worried about the difference between a 'nominal' rent in a lease and a market rent, which might be considered a gift and attract highter tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

spoutwell wrote: »
    I was more worried about the difference between a 'nominal' rent in a lease and a market rent, which might be considered a gift and attract highter tax.

My understanding here is as follows, I'm not an accountant, so this may not be 100% correct...
    Lease has to be market value, as if it goes to the revenue and they feel its below market value, they will be back to you. As this affects the stamp duty payment, which is a % of the agreement.

If you have a lease drawn up, its now income for your parent, as they are officially renting it. So you might want to check how this would affect them. I think there is a clause you can put into a lease that says something like "lease of x euro per year, if demanded" which means its not a proper source of income. You'd need to check that though.

If you don't pay them - I assume its considered a gift, so this would come off your tax-free gift tax threshold between a parent and child, I think its something around 500k+?
    But that limit might change in 2 weeks in our new budget... ;)

I would say talk to an accountant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Difference between nominal and market rent is deemed to be a gift each year. Will the gift element be less than the €3000 annual tax free threshold? Will the Revenue cop it? If worried, draft lease so that it is subject to rent review or can be cancelled where mutual agreement.

Stampt duty is usually pittance, 1% of annual rent.... However, seeing as you would not be at arms length you need to get a valuation report and a warrant adjustication filled out. Where below market value, stamp duty is charged on the gift element x years. For example, say market rent is €10,000, nominal value is €4000 and term is 7 years. This works out at 6000 x 7 = 42,000. Applicable stampt duty rate = 4% or €1,648.

There is a big difference between €1,648 and €100 (1% of annual market rent).

To see stamp duty rates, refer to http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/current-rates-duty.html Stamp Duty on Non-Residential Property.

Advertisement