Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife has Pneumonia

Options
  • 10-11-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

My wife has Pneumonia after having a bad cough for the last few weeks. She was perfectly fine until she got her flu shot. Anyways we have a 2 year with a severe egg allergy so we are unsure of whether to get her vaccinated. Our local pediatrician said if we both got vaccinated it would help. Is there anything else we can do so the baby doesn't get anything. She already has a cough. We went to the doctor countless times but they cant do anything as they say she is getting over a bad cold. Sorry if i seem like i am rambling here. I am just worried for my wife as she already has asthma and now this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

When you say flu shot...? Is that Tami Flu? Or a regular Flu shot? The high risk groups i.e. those with asthma etc are candidates for the Tami Flu.

Pneumonia was an occurrence in my own family, and asthma is in there as well. Best to announce to the pediatrician your concerns fully. i.e. the asthma and the Pneumonia fully. Express your concerns vehemently to these experts. Then let them make the decisions on the issue that you are concerned about. Make your choices based on this expert advice and make sure to be fully involved in this process by giving as much info as possible as a parent.

Medical advice cannot be sought on a forum as far as I know. Opinions and experience, certainly are abound but not expert advice on potentially serious medical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

She got the regular flu shot. We are in the states, the swine flu vaccine wont be available to the masses for another month. Everyone here is really in a panic which makes it alot worse. We even have a swine flu outbreak policy at work

I wasnt expecting a medical opinion on these boards just advice really. I am going to get vaccinated tonight on my way home from work. My wife is starting her antibiotics so hopefully that will help her.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It's a very very fine line between advice that you may act on and "this was my experience".

On the egg allergy thing: Your doctor will know best.
    Is there anything you can do to avoid your baby picking something up in the short term? You can keep them out of large groups of people, make sure your hands are clean all the time, etc. etc. I'm sure there are general guidelines for avoiding infection.

I'm sure it's upsetting and worrying but I dunno how much more information people on here can give you. I'd say the best person to talk to is your GP.

Advertisement