Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Bit of a pickle regarding visas!

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

My boyfriend and I for the past 3 years have been planning to go to oz for a year together to work and travel. basically i want to get my pgce/postgrad in primary teaching out of the way first though.

by right we should have been going in june 2010 but i didnt get the course.

im applying to it in scotland and pats and willl be finishing in june 2011 either route i take.

now heres the problem: my OH is 30 in March 2011, and so he wont be able to go after he's 30, correct me if Im wrong?!

Also, if I take the Uk course/route, i will be automatically offered a teaching job (they place you in a school an everything) for the following year with pay. This would enable me to become a fully qualified teacher as id be doing the mini dip, and therefore Id be eligible to teach anywhere etc. So id be finished in June 2012.

However if I go (/even got into ) Pats, Id have to also do the mini dip before becoming fully qualified; unlike Scotland id have to find job my self etc, which is most unlikely to happen here at the moment with the surplus of qualified teachers 'on the market' at the moment.

We are trying to figure out are there any magical ways we can sort this. Although there is probably no magic solution we'd still really appreciate any views/opinions etc/ info on requirements and restrictions etc..

If only the embassy would be so kind to let us defer it for a year... wishful thinking :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

Planning a year way for 3 years is a bit ridiculous TBH and now your looking at 4 years. Less planning would go into the Olympics.

Try an immigration agency would be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

Well apologies for wanting some sort of order in our lives :o

Cheers for the positive advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You are wrong, he cannot receive a WHV if he is 31 or older, you can get one if you are 30.

he will need to receive the WHV before he turns 31, and has a year to use it, so techinally he can arrive in oz 1 day before his 32nd birthday for a year visa
    (but that is cutting it too close!)

It looks like two options, take a year break from studying and not teach in Oz
    or if your OH has some sort of skills, apply for a skilled visa

hussey wrote: »
    You are wrong, he cannot receive a WHV if he is 31 or older, you can get one if you are 30.

he will need to receive the WHV before he turns 31, and has a year to use it, so techinally he can arrive in oz 1 day before his 32nd birthday for a year visa
    (but that is cutting it too close!)

It looks like two options, take a year break from studying and not teach in Oz
    or if your OH has some sort of skills, apply for a skilled visa

Oh my god, are you serious, that'd be perfect!!! wow, thats actually made my week never mind day. that'd work out perfectly, kinda.. he would be over there 3/4 months before me though but i mean still...

Oh a skills visa, what does that entail? I presume one must have an actual apprenticeship in something, which he wouldnt have, but he has a good amount of experience in labouring!

i know circumstances may change in the next few years regarding their economy as well as the number of people allowed into the country etc, but at least we've some sort of basis to work from now.

thanks for the info hussey, I appreciate it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Aloe,

You need to work for 12 mths in the profession you apply under for permanent residency. If your bf has not been formally qualified (this pathway was closed last year) then you won't be able to go under his skills.

You going as a teacher would be a good bet after your experince is finished (you cannot apply before you have it done) and then you could put him on as a de-facto if you have been living together for 1 year. Secondary School teacher is on the CSL list (priority processing - 12 ish mths)but I'm note sure about Primary. State Sponsorship could be another option you might look into. Try http://www.immi.gov.au/ for more information.

If you go on a WHV and work for some time in a regional area (I think doing farmwork but I'm open to correction) you can get a second WHV. Please note if you are taken off the CSL list, at the moment they are not looking at MODL (the 2nd best but 5th priority list) until at least 2012 for offshore applications. Hope that helps, I'm jumping through hoops for the Aussie Govt for the last 18 mths so I'm fairly familiar with the process. You could also try www.pomsinoz.com and www.britishexpats.com for more help. Also try www.mara.com.au for a local registered migration agent who could help.

Bet that made your head spin, and thats just the beginning (sorry) :pac:

HP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

The OH won't be able to get the second WVH though is he has turned 31.

I got my WVH a few weeks before I turned 31, and turned 32 shortly after coming here, so I'll be almost 33 by the time my one year visa is up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If your OH has a UK passport there may be other options.

Hells Belle: Wow that sure is a lot of info, but thanks. No he isnt formerly qualified, so that wouldnt work :-( However, the second year holiday visa might or the de facto route. Yes, apparently working on a farm for 3 months enables you to apply for a second WHV.

Tir Eoghain: Very Good point!!Thanks. So ... If we want the opportunity of staying there for the 2 years, he would have to go when 30, possibly do some farm work etc, and apply for the second WHV BEFORE turning 31. I assume you apply for it when you have your farmwork done? So theres no way you can apply for it so with your circumstances/no other back door route?

Jank: Unfortunately he hasnt, but if you know how he could get his hands on one feel free to tell me, lol.;)

Appreciate all the advice guys. keep it flowin' ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    If your OH has a UK passport there may be other options.

If you are referring to the double dip option.... that loophole has now been closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSpSGiiJTQ

Advertisement