Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Well lads and lassies,wat think you of the cast.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/

Sean Bean as Edward Stark ,i actually think he is a good choice for this role.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion ,meets the height requirement,don't know about his acting ,even though i seen a couple of films he was in ,he was'nt memorable for me.
    As one of my favorite characters in the story,this will be an actors dreams to play.Hope peter does'nt let us down.

Kit Harington as Jon Snow Have'nt seen him in anything so hes an unknown for me.

Anyone else got any opinions on the overall cast?

*Moderators the reason this is posted in literature,is because i am looking for the opinion of boardies that have read the book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

That is a very strong cast. Lena Headey as Cersei is great as well:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

When will it be on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

They began filming the "pilot" on Oct.24 so it could be a long while yet. I think the plan is for 13 episodes per book.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Scifi & Fantasy forum I reckon guys (yes I know there's less fantasy than sci fi but a general discussion of a specific TV series that happens to be adapted from a book doesn't go here in the Literature forum unless you're complaining about how much better the book was etc and even then on a case by case basis).

Hence, moved to the above forum from Lit.

I know you're looking for the opinion of people that have read the book but that isn't a good enough reason to have it in Lit where it's not going to be a primary discussion on the book (and probably not a discussion on the book at all). I will however, leave a permanent redirect to the thread from Lit to be nice about the move (I usually leave a redirect there for 12 hours or a day). Best I'm willing to do:) And not a precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bit concerned on the age of some of the cast, Aren't the Robb and Jon meant to be 14/15 in the first book? And Jaime and Cersei mid 20's?

Either way I'm looking forward to this, hopefully it won't be a travesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Dinklage & Bean are good choices. I think Mark Addy is woefully mis-cast as Robert Baratheon however. He should have some echo of his former glory but has now gone to seed living the good life as king. There's no way you could picture cuddly Addy swinging a warhammer in the Trident. I'm not entirely sold on Headey as Cersei either, I think someone like Portia Di Rossi would have been a better choice.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bit concerned on the age of some of the cast, Aren't the Robb and Jon meant to be 14/15 in the first book? And Jaime and Cersei mid 20's?

Either way I'm looking forward to this, hopefully it won't be a travesty.

And the actress that is playing Dany is 22, whereas the character is what, 12 or 13 at the start? Obviously it would be somewhat inappropriate to see a 12/13 year old get married and have babies, but Robb/Jon were only mid teens as mentioned above as well. I guess they will have Sansa being older too due to the nature of her storyline, and even Arya will be a few years older than she was in the books I presume.

Not ideal, but not totally unexpected either. I wonder will they leave the death/violence scenes as grapic as they are at times in the book? Being HBO I would expect less tinkering to fit with TV, but who knows, although I don't think the vioence will be watered down too much unless to save on budget in battle scenes, etc. I know George RR Martin is involved in the script and some sort of executive producer as well I think, so I'll have to let that and my faith in HBO convince me that it will be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Stargate Atlantis' Jason Momoa has been cast as Kahl Drogo, I've only seen him in SGA, he's competant as Ronon Dex, but only time will tell if he's any good as Drogo

Demonique wrote: »
    Stargate Atlantis' Jason Momoa has been cast as Kahl Drogo, I've only seen him in SGA, he's competant as Ronon Dex, but only time will tell if he's any good as Drogo

He certainly looks the part!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Did'nt take as long as the book took to write...thank god!...lol.

Another highlight of my time in Morocco was the wrap party.

For those not familiar with the term, it's a Hollywood tradition to throw a big party when you finish shooting -- or "wrap" -- on a movie or television project. I attended quite a few great wrap parties during my ten years in LA, but the GAME OF THRONES wrap party blew them all away. We held it in the Ouarzazate Museum of Cinema, a pretty amazing place itself, complete with local musicians, belly dancers, acres of Moroccan delicicacies, and lots of spirits to lubricate the exhausted cast and crew. And when the museum threw us out, we just adjourned back to the Berbere Palace, where the party continued.

Looking at some of the photos, Mr Martin seems to be enjoying himself............lucky Fecker!.

Now we have to wait till editing is finished and it's broadcast.
    13 episodes to look foreward to.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Now we have to wait till editing is finished and it's broadcast.
    13 episodes to look foreward to.[/URL]
    They only shot the pilot though, not 13 episodes. They've to bring it back to HBO now and HBO will decide if they want to commission it - that's my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

ixoy wrote: »
    They only shot the pilot though, not 13 episodes. They've to bring it back to HBO now and HBO will decide if they want to commission it - that's my understanding.

That would make sense alright. Unfortunately!
    Can't wait for this tho. No way can HBO turn it down

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I just started reading it for the first time :)

Trojan wrote: »

Jealous.

Try and avoid spoilers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Trojan wrote: »

have you a genealogy degree cos you'll need one:pac:

good books all the same enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

ixoy wrote: »

Yea ,makes sense when you say it,can't remember where on the web i seen the 13episode thing,could'nt find the website when i searched......maybe it was wishful thinking.
    Seems like they are packing alot into the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm 15 pages in. I'd expect to be at least 150 if not 1500 pages down at this point. Is it just me, or is it a slow starter, or what do you think?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

You're still on the prologue then?
    It picks up pace pretty quickly from what I remember of a recent re-read.
    It's not an action-packed start, but it's not slow.

Yeah there's a lot of groundwork to be done and the scene has to be set. Once they go to King's Landing, it really gets going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's still loads of signed copies of his stuff on the shelves in Easons, if anyone's interested.

I picked up a signed Game of Thrones for a mate of mine yesterday for just over a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Dades wrote: »
    There's still loads of signed copies of his stuff on the shelves in Easons, if anyone's interested.

I picked up a signed Game of Thrones for a mate of mine yesterday for just over a tenner.

Cool. Which Easons?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just an update - the pilot has been picked up and we'll now have a 10 episode season (9 extra + pilot)! URL="http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/02/hbo-picks-up-game-of-thrones-to-series/43654"]Link[/URL

Hopefully it'll live up to our expectations. Now the challenge is on for George to get book 5 out before Season 5 airs...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just started reading this again and now have the characters in my head. So disappointed that they didnt cast Ray Stevenson for the Hound though. He has always been my picture of Sandor.
    Wouldnt mind seeing who they are going to get as Gregor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What is it with Sean Bean and
    roles that have him dying before the end of the film?

Interesting cast. I would like to remain skeptical, but I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Dont mind so muc hthe age of some of the characters as Ive always had a slight niggle about their ages to the relative story they are involved in.

Cant wait for this! Only he better finish the 5th book. Ild tell anyone wanting to start reading this to wait until he writes the 7th.. I got to the end of the 4th and just died inside :-(

Lena Headey from 300? nom nom nom nom nom gonna like Cersei now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Pics of Arya were put up on the "Not a blog" a few weeks ago. I thought the casting was pretty good tbh.

Although I've read the books - I downloaded the audiobook of this last month.

I can't stop listening! It gives a new dimension to the books. Highly recommended. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

1st time hearing about this, hope its not a ****e book to screen conversion.
    Cant wait for this! Only he better finish the 5th book. Ild tell anyone wanting to start reading this to wait until he writes the 7th.. I got to the end of the 4th and just died inside :-(

Damn right. Its been what, 3 years since A Dance with Dragons was supposed to be finished and still no sign of it :( I'm sceptical he'll ever finish them...

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote: »
    1st time hearing about this, hope its not a ****e book to screen conversion.
    George RR Martin himself is drafting the screenplays for some of the episodes, so whatever it is you know it'll be true to the feel of the books.

Advertisement