Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I thought they hurt Dany's story a lot with those extra bits they added yesterday, about her "taking control" and all that. It wasn't ever like that in the books. If I wanted softcore I would watch movies4men, and the only bit of ass we got to see yesterday was Khal Drogo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

But she does take control to a certain degree in the book and even that line, "I would look upon your face tonight" (roughly) is a direct quote from the book. I think it's building the foundations for the strong character she turns out to be which they will need to do should the series continue on from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Wondering how there going to bring Ghost into it, he wasn't with jon when they went to the wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I thought they hurt Dany's story a lot with those extra bits they added yesterday, about her "taking control" and all that. It wasn't ever like that in the books. If I wanted softcore I would watch movies4men, and the only bit of ass we got to see yesterday was Khal Drogo's.

I have to agree with O-Deazy, those bits were in the first book as far as I know. Well, her taking control and such definitely. I can't remember whether she was taught it by a servant or not.

But now that that has kinda been put across I'd imagine it won't be as full on from now on.

They weren't. I re-checked through all of her parts and there wasn't anything like that. No slave girl brought to the pleasure house when she was 9, no woman who could make a man come with her eyes, the vast majority of those conversations never took place.

• Advertisement

The part I was referring to that was in the book was Dany taking control and being portrayed early on as a strong character, not the part about the 9 year old slave girl or the woman with the awesome eye power! These small additions hardly make any significant impact on the storylines and I'm sure there will be a few more details added throughout the series that weren't found in the books and likewise plenty parts from the books will be left out from the tv series! But overall I'm impressed and enjoying it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I can't remember whether she was taught it by a servant or not.

There's a line about Irri or Jhiqui I think instructing her in the art of lovemaking or some such, there's no specific scene just the one line if I remember correctly.

Page 98 of the/my paperbook near the bottom: "Doreah will instruct you in the womanly arts of love".

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

Really enjoyed the second episode, I was unsure of Tyrion to begin with but his scene with Jeoffrey impressed me :)

I couldn't stand Cat Stark in the books to be honest and can't stand her in the show, I think for me it was the way she treated Jon and her own kids. Sansa was always an annoying character, even in the books I couldn't wait to be done with her chapters, I think it's probably a good thing that in the show she remains annoying.

I like Dany's character and her storyline seems to be well paced. Overall the first two episodes have proved to be better than I had expected, really liking where it's all going :)

Yeah, lots of people seem to dislike Sansa which I only found out recently. I can't understand this, I think she's a great character. She wanted the fairytale romance, I would have thought this would especially appeal to females irl who are like that. Two Aryas would be stupid, I think they complement each other as characters well.

Let's all just hate Joffrey instead, everyone hates Joffrey. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Page 98 of the/my paperbook near the bottom: "Doreah will instruct you in the womanly arts of love".

Damn, got the name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    Wondering how there going to bring Ghost into it, he wasn't with jon when they went to the wall!

As Jon Snow sat down to speak to Tyrion and the new recruits for the Night's Watch were being untied you catch a glimpse of Ghost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Do they pronounce it jamie? I always said jaymm
    I always pronounced it your way as well but it seems it's Jamie.

I find this very weird myself but GRRM does indeed pronounce it Jamie himself in interview. If that's how it's pronounced why spell it Jaime which to me reads as either "Jame" or "Gem" :confused:
    Ravage1616 wrote: »
    As Jon Snow sat down to speak to Tyrion and the new recruits for the Night's Watch were being untied you catch a glimpse of Ghost.
    Just beat me to that! I think they're trying to use the direwolves sparingly as afaik, they still have no idea how to show them in the next series when they're far bigger... girlfiend was just "eh, you watched Twilight me... they did it easy enough" but I can't imagine they have the budget to have purely CGI wolves next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

"Jaime" is a common enough spelling of "Jamie" in North America. Haven't read the books myself and have no idea where the author's from, but if he's North American, it may explain the confusion? I read it as Jamie, anyway.

It's just a very literal interpretation of the pronunciation of the "e" at the end.

IIRC, he's New Jersey.

So it's just an awful American spelling of Jamie?

I was actually quite disappointed by it. Jamie, to me, is a name for a little boy rather than a warrior knight.

Yea I agree, Jamie Lannister doesn't really carry the same weight or strike as much fear as pronouncing it Jaym.. Feck it, I'm going to just stick with Jaym!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I know one jaime IRL and that is pronounced, ha-may. Jaym is the best ;_;
    still i will follow on with my long tradition of **** the author, I pronounce it how I want.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I was actually quite disappointed by it. Jamie, to me, is a name for a little boy rather than a warrior knight.

Jamie/Jaime is a perfect name for this character for that reason. He is not meant to be a gallant knight in shining armour, he was born into his position and his most courageous act was the probably easy act of killing the old King in a betrayal. If he had called Ser Ilyn Payne the executioner or Sandor Cleagane the Hound, "Jaime", that would be a bad name for them.

Now he's no weakling on the scale of Viserys who probably never killed anyone, but also not what you'd call a warrior knight. He was born into a high position and knighthood was expected, he was a kind of a charmer and a mischievious character as is shown in the tv series. I think Jamie is a very appropriate name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jamie/Jaime is a perfect name for this character for that reason. He is not meant to be a gallant knight in shining armour, he was born into his position and his most courageous act was the probably easy act of killing the old King in a betrayal. If he had called Ser Ilyn Payne the executioner or Sandor Cleagane the Hound, "Jaime", that would be a bad name for them.
    Whatever about his position, Jaime is supposed to be an exceptional swordsman. I'm sure he fought and won in tourneys? Given his youth and his role during Robert's rebellion there wasn't really an opportunity for him to win a name for actual battle - rather then his Kingslayer one.
    Just beat me to that! I think they're trying to use the direwolves sparingly as afaik, they still have no idea how to show them in the next series when they're far bigger... girlfiend was just "eh, you watched Twilight me... they did it easy enough" but I can't imagine they have the budget to have purely CGI wolves next season?
    They made their bed with regard to the size of Direwolves when they showed that huge dead Direwolf bitch! HBO are just going to have to suck it up and pay for decent CGI. :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    Whatever about his position, Jaime is supposed to be an exceptional swordsman. I'm sure he fought and won in tourneys?

His exceptional swordsmanship is probably because he was trained formally from youth. I know that Jaime is a daring and audacious character, but more for his own fun than anything else. Do you dispute that Jaime is a good name? J'aime is also French for "I love" which I think works for his character also. He has a kind of dangerous sweetness about him, a Judas type of persona, he was also one of the most kind people to Tyrion when they were younger.

• Advertisement

Jaime Lannister earned his knighthood fighting against the Kingswood Brotherhood and IIRC held his own against the Smiling Knight who is commented on during the book as being "the Gregor Clegane of his generation"...

His appointment to the Kingsguard was political, of course, however given his record as a tourney knight, the fact he earned his knighthood fightingm, everyone's comments about his prowess with a sword, the shock of virtually everyone in the book at his being taken by surprise at Whispering Wood, his epic swordfight against Brienne later in the books and GRRM's comments that Eddard Stark was an "adequate swordsman... not in the same league as Jaime Lannister... his brother Brandon being the true swordsman of the Starks at that time" (paraphrased) I think it's safe to say you've misread the character, SuperInfinity ;)

He is not meant to be a gallant knight in shining armour
    This is ASOIAF, the closest things to gallant knights are Brienne, a woman, and Dondarion, a zombie!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Yeah, lots of people seem to dislike Sansa which I only found out recently. I can't understand this, I think she's a great character. She wanted the fairytale romance, I would have thought this would especially appeal to females irl who are like that. Two Aryas would be stupid, I think they complement each other as characters well.

Let's all just hate Joffrey instead, everyone hates Joffrey. :)

I enjoy the literary version of Sansa, not the on screen version. The young actress isnt great at least to me anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dades wrote: »
    Whatever about his position, Jaime is supposed to be an exceptional swordsman. I'm sure he fought and won in tourneys? Given his youth and his role during Robert's rebellion there wasn't really an opportunity for him to win a name for actual battle - rather then his Kingslayer one.
    He was the youngest ever member of the kingsguard, at 15 (although I think it was meant to be an insult against his father), and won his first tournament at 13. /nerd

Whatever, I consider Jaime as a very fitting name for this character and I tried to explain why I think so, and was met with what I consider irrelevant and strawman arguments, one poster saying I misread the character, etc., so I give up. Go ahead and think that George RR Martin has named the character wrong if you want. I'm sure Joffrey is a good hand with a sword as well, that doesn't really make him a hard or tough soldier.
    This is ASOIAF, the closest things to gallant knights are Brienne, a woman, and Dondarion, a zombie!

;)

What about Ser Barristan Selmy? He was getting on, but still the definition of a gallant knight surely?

You have me with Barristan... then again, if he were what Sansa considers a "true knight", he'd have died rather than join Robert, no? I'd be inclined to disagree with Sansa though.

I have to say, I *do* think you've misread the character. You seem to be taking the "kingslayer" view of Jaime that's portrayed by many of the books' characters, ignoring the allusions to his military prowess and that, while the physical act of killing Aerys couldn't have been difficult for him, the act was one which, while morally perfectly correct, was one he would have known he was damning himself with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

I know this is not dedicated soley to those slivers of dead tree matter with ink on them but georgie boy has posted a picture of a very dead king kong on his blog which can only mean one thing.....

Episode 2 was stellar btw....

Lads I don't think you can really get a character wrong or 'misread' one. I'm going to sound lovely and cheesy now, but thats the beauty of reading and books, you can interpret and read them however the hell you like and no-one can say you're wrong! It's just different interpretations and characters reflect different feelings and views in each individual. So saying this, SuperInfinity I don't think you 'misread' him but simply interpret his character differently than I do.

And just to throw a spanner in the works, I see what you mean about him having a certain dangerous sweetness about him, nothing shows sweetness like pushing a young fella out the window! ;)

GenghisCon wrote: »
    I know this is not dedicated soley to those slivers of dead tree matter with ink on them but georgie boy has posted a picture of a very dead king kong on his blog which can only mean one thing.....

We can only hope.. Fingers crossed though!

• Advertisement

O-Deazy wrote: »
    And just to throw a spanner in the works, I see what you mean about him having a certain dangerous sweetness about him, nothing shows sweetness like pushing a young fella out the window! ;)

Nice intentional misinterpretation of my meaning of the word "sweet".

Advertisement