Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Can't wait to see the tv thread go mad when the last episode airs, no one has even come close to guessing what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see the tv thread go mad when the last episode airs, no one has even come close to guessing what happens.

I have a feeling they might be disappointed in what happens....except for
    Dragons!

Most people don't seem to realize that it is a 7 book series.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Reading some of the speculation about what might happen in episode 10 is quite funny. It's like they expect loads of things to be tied off, the dothraki invasion, the white walkers streaming from the north, and loads of other things. They need a bit of a wake up call around expectations I think. and also on how many things can be fit into 55 mins (removing credits).

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

The
    Dragons
    looked fook'n awesome!!

^ Yep. very happy with how they looked. I was worried they might screw them up.

Moving away rom the tv show for a bit.

Feast For Crows Spoiler
    Just after noticing during my re-read that the dwarf septon that Brienne meets in Duskendale later has his head presented to Cersei by three men looking to claim Tyrion's bounty. It's a bit subtle like most of Martin's writing but thats why I love his books so much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Again sometimes I wonder if I took things up wrong but regarding the evil witch person that Dany burns. I was pretty sure there was an admission on her part in the book of having caused Drogo's wound to fester etc. but wasn't even hinted at in the show only that she knew the baby would die.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Really enjoyed the TV show, just wish he'd hurry up and finish the next book sometime in the next decade!

tbukela wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the TV show, just wish he'd hurry up and finish the next book sometime in the next decade!

Less than a month http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Dragons-Book-Song-Fire/dp/0002247399/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1308605340&sr=8-12

mewso wrote: »
    Again sometimes I wonder if I took things up wrong but regarding the evil witch person that Dany burns. I was pretty sure there was an admission on her part in the book of having caused Drogo's wound to fester etc. but wasn't even hinted at in the show only that she knew the baby would die.

I've always wondered about this, Drogo rips the poultice and bandage she puts on him off after it starts to itch and burn. Its only after he uses the mud bandage that the wound starts to get badly infected.
    What your saying makes sense if she can see the future and it would also explain how she knew that Dany would be carried back inside the tent by Jorah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Scruff wrote: »
    ... Must wander of to the tv thread now to see what the Unread thought of it....
    Loving that term!

In terms of the Drogo wound thing. I still am unhappy with the sudden septicaemia (?) that takes takes hold of Drogo. In the book it is small wound (of no consequence to the Khal) I have no problem with the TV series skipping straight to the Drogo on the verge of death scene, but I do think the book kills him off too conveniently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

It was a perfect ending, just a beautiful episode all round.

Only gripe i'd have was that there was no comet. Tho I suppose that can easily be put into the start of the 2nd series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The tv series turned me onto the books. Never was a huge fantasy fan but these are changing my mind. Love how the first book turned out but I have to say I'm starting to find the pace slowing. I'm about two thirds through book 3 part 1 and it seems that there's quite alot of filler. Some elements are great like the dany thread and beyond the wall. Without spoiling anything, do things pick up at all?

Ps my mate will be working on props for the 2nd series so anything of note il fill in :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The tv series turned me onto the books. Never was a huge fantasy fan but these are changing my mind. Love how the first book turned out but I have to say I'm starting to find the pace slowing. I'm about two thirds through book 3 part 1 and it seems that there's quite alot of filler. Some elements are great like the dany thread and beyond the wall. Without spoiling anything, do things pick up at all?

Ps my mate will be working on props for the 2nd series so anything of note il fill in :-)

Just finished Book 3 Part 2. Trust me you won't be bored.

I found the pace of book 4 to be much slower than the rest, and by far the least enjoyable for me. Hopefully book 5 can pick up, and there are a more appealing set of pov characters in book 5 than there was in book 4.

5starpool wrote: »
    I found the pace of book 4 to be much slower than the rest, and by far the least enjoyable for me. Hopefully book 5 can pick up, and there are a more appealing set of pov characters in book 5 than there was in book 4.

Book 5 is mostly about Dany, Arya and Jon so I think we can safely assume it'll be a bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Casting suggestions for Stannis ........

For me I wouldn't look much further then Jason Isaacs he's made a name for himself playing unlikable humourless curmudgeons

US army ranger Capt Mike Steele(Black Hawk Down)

20217-25650.gif

Colonel William Tavington (The Patriot)

jason-isaacs-photograph-c12147065.jpeg

Michael Caffee (Brotherhood)

brotherhood-isaacs11.jpg

dude could pull off Stannis in his sleep imo.

^ He would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The last episode was good. All though I thought the Dragons looked a bit shíte actually.

Also, saw this and had to post it. J.K Rowling and George. R.R

nWsOTVn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    The last episode was good. All though I thought the Dragons looked a bit shíte actually.
    Here Dr. Poca - use your uncle to find out who gets cast as Stannis before the press release :D

Hmmm... not a bad idea at all. I'll try find out in the next few days

For a tv budget I thought they looked excellent , the music, the framing of the scene , the pose, everything worked for me .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

All though I thought the Dragons looked a bit shíte actually.

You talking crazy. That is best CGI in a tv show ever. It's at least photographic quality.

I think some people are biased just because they're dragons and looking for flaws. I'm sure if some people saw real lizards and were asked for their opinion on the CGI they would have problems with it..... real lizards look like that.

If you look at a nature program, real lizards sometimes look strange, flawless, and almost like they could be CGI. So I think a long way from your ridiculous adjective of "****e" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Anyone else find the addition of Pycelle doing gymnastics a bit jarring? Wonder if he'll be getting a bigger role in Season 2...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

Casting suggestions for Stannis ........

For me I wouldn't look much further then Jason Isaacs he's made a name for himself playing unlikable humourless curmudgeons

US army ranger Capt Mike Steele(Black Hawk Down)

20217-25650.gif

Colonel William Tavington (The Patriot)

jason-isaacs-photograph-c12147065.jpeg

Michael Caffee (Brotherhood)

brotherhood-isaacs11.jpg

dude could pull off Stannis in his sleep imo.

Hmm, I'd prefer Mark Strong tbh., though wouldn't complain if Isaacs was cast. Great actor.
    Really interested to see who they cast as Davos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Only copped in the last episode that the actor who plays Tywin was the bad guy in 'Last Action Hero' :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Raphael wrote: »
    Anyone else find the addition of Pycelle doing gymnastics a bit jarring? Wonder if he'll be getting a bigger role in Season 2...
    I loved it with the sudden shift to hobbling our the door, along with a minute earlier convincing one of Littlefinger's whores that he's senile. Great scene, really showed how dishonest and conniving the character is.

fitz wrote: »
    Hmm, I'd prefer Mark Strong tbh., though wouldn't complain if Isaacs was cast. Great actor.
    Really interested to see who they cast as Davos.

As much as I like him I'm getting Mark Strong fatigue atm he is in just about everything these days , plus with his film career taking off can't really see him committing to a tv show .

Raphael wrote: »

Like so many other parts of the story it is meant to be jarring. That scene is not in the books but it does a good job of illustrating something that is important to know when watching the TV show. All in all I think most of the added scenes work really well. (The Littlefinger [snigger] lesbian prom show being a stand out mistake to my mind. Why would the Master of Coin be teaching whores? He has brothel owners/pimps to do that for him, He is the money behind the whole operation)
    A counterpoint to this would be the Hodor nude scene, it seems comical but it allows the Wildling girl to get into a conversation where she says she has seen "giants and worse than giants beyond the Wall", it sets the tone for what the Wall and the NightsWatch are actually there for.

"Hear my words and bear witness to my vow. Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Another post in support of Mark Strong for Stannis.

He's an incredibly versatile actor and always does a superb job.
    Only copped in the last episode that the actor who plays Tywin was the bad guy in 'Last Action Hero' :P

I was reading the book and reading the description and thought to myself Charles Dance is the man to play Tywin

And so it was.
    I don't have any expert knowledge. I picked the obvious and so did the producers.
    And Charles Dance is doing a fine job

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Like so many other parts of the story it is meant to be jarring. That scene is not in the books but it does a good job of illustrating something that is important to know when watching the TV show. All in all I think most of the added scenes work really well. (The Littlefinger [snigger] lesbian prom show being a stand out mistake to my mind. Why would the Master of Coin be teaching whores? He has brother owners/pimps to do that for him, He is the money behind the whole operation)
    A counterpoint to this would be the Hodor nude scene, it seems comical but it allows the Wildling girl to get into a conversation where she says she has seen "giants and worse than giants beyond the Wall", it sets the tone for what the Wall and the NightsWatch are actually there for.

"Hear my words and bear witness to my vow. Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

The Hodor naked scene was in the books as well. I read that bit last night only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

TBH wouldn't Strong and Isaacs be too costly??? Surely it would make more sense to get a lesser known/cheaper actor in to play Stannis? Or does the show need another big name to gain publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

I think Bean would have cost a bit more that either Strong or Isaacs. I think they probably would want if not a big name but a fairly recognisable face/name to promote the show with. I'm sure bean pulled in a lot of viewers who would have dismissed the show otherwise.

I know to us there are already a lot of, if not big names but at least, recognisable faces that are culled from uk tv and films that won't be known to an american audience.

There is also the issue that the character cast with a big name actor would be assumed to die ala Bean. I mean if you haven't read the books you won't know and could just assume that HBO are pulling the same stunt as they did with the first season.

You talking crazy. That is best CGI in a tv show ever. It's at least photographic quality.

I disagree completely. I think most CGI, in movies and tv, looks unrealistic when it comes to organic,living creatures. Non-living things always look good Transformers, Day after Tomorrow (Except for the wolves) etc. But living things don't look right to me personally.

It's just my opinion. I felt they didn't look realistic.

I disagree completely. I think most CGI, in movies and tv, looks unrealistic when it comes to organic,living creatures. Non-living things always look good Transformers, Day after Tomorrow (Except for the wolves) etc. But living things don't look right to me personally.

The movements were a bit wooden alright, not as fluid as you would hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Like I already said, sometimes real lizards actually don't look realistic and have movements that look a little odd to us mammals.

I read a story online recently about how one of the creators of a movie, I don't now which one it was, was talking about people complaining about an object that some were saying was obviously fake and poor CGI. The problem was... the object they were referencing wasn't CGI at all. So CGI has become so realistic that the lines have become blurred a little.

On an aesthetic level, I also thought the dragons looks great. Beautiful wings and movement. Small and cute.

Dragons don't exist thus regardless of how good the cgi gets there will always be a disconnect for some people , personally I thought they looked great and have a harder time with the cgi apes in the trailer for the new POTA film as apes do exist in nature as a point of comparison .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Long time fantasy and sci fan here but for some reason i missed the books when they first came out...anyway like many people i started them when the show came on.

Loved GOT, managed to finish it before the TV show.

Great ending, sorry to see the end of Drogo, The Dothraki thread through the story was one of my favourites.

Already 200 pages into Clash of Kings and loving it...really looking forward to the second series in April 2012

giftgrub wrote: »
    Long time fantasy and sci fan here but for some reason i missed the books when they first came out...
    ....Already 200 pages into Clash of Kings and loving it...really looking forward to the second series in April 2012
    To put words into GRRM's mouth "come into my parlour said the spider to the fly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Clash of Kings really saddened me at times. Far more than most series. A fairly realistic look at a war compared to most of the genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'm not a fantasy fan usually, but after one episode of GOT I was hooked, so I bought the book, started it last Sunday and nearly finished it now. Can't wait to get my hands on A Clash of Kings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

Clash of Kings really saddened me at times. Far more than most series. A fairly realistic look at a war compared to most of the genre.

If you haven't already, read ErIksons Malazan series. His depiction of conflict is the most moving I've read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Does anyone listen to the Podcast of Ice and Fire? They go back to 2008 and primary(I presume) focus on the books. I'm half way through the first book, and would love to listen to these podcasts but I'm afraid to listen incase they are full of spoilers! Can anyone tell me if it's safe to listen to them?

Also is anyone else finding it hard to avoid spoilers regarding book 2/season 2 of GoT? Everywhere I innoticently look I'm finding out stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just finishing up the first book, A Game of Thrones. Can anyone tell me whether I'm safe to watch the tv series now or does the tv show cover the whole series rather than just the first book?

Cheers,
    Jackobyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Looks like I won't be sleeping tonight so. 50 pages or so to read. Then into the tv series. Then onto book 2. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Looks like I won't be sleeping tonight so. 50 pages or so to read. Then into the tv series. Then onto book 2. :pac:

I'm a bit confused on what was in which book, but pretty sure there are some scenes in the series from book 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused on what was in which book, but pretty sure there are some scenes in the series from book 2?

Yeah, I think so too. Certainly on a couple of story arcs there'll be something of an overlap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement

There are some scenes in the last episode from book 2, but very little really.

Advertisement