Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Sleepy wrote: »
    Really liked episode 4 myself, pacing finally seems to be settling into itself. The added Viscerys scenes worked for me and the final scene with Catelyn and Tyrion was superbly played by Dinklage.

Yeah ,Dinklage was brillant.Each episode is getting better IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Here's an interview with GRRM where he talks about the show, the process of writing and his reception by fans and the public. As an added bonus he's interviewed by Joe Abercrombie who isn't what I thought he'd be like! Implied spoilers for the series too so don't watch unless you've read the books. But then I think we all have here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 OwenRua

This is shaping up nicely. I think the producers are doing a good job with the added scenes. I loved the scene with Jaime and Jory in episode 4. It sort of foreshadows what happens later.

Have any of you noticed that some of the lines given to the characters are form later books. I do not mind it as it allows the characters to develop quicker than is allowed in a book. One scene I hope they do show in flashback is the Tower of Joy fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ixoy wrote: »
    Here's an interview with GRRM where he talks about the show, the process of writing and his reception by fans and the public. As an added bonus he's interviewed by Joe Abercrombie who isn't what I thought he'd be like! Implied spoilers for the series too so don't watch unless you've read the books. But then I think we all have here!
    is that the one that was on sky atlantic before they showed the 1st episode? didnt watch it then as it looked like there were too many scenes from the series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Starting to seem more like an elaborate stageplay to me.

I'm really missing the big scenes like what we should have seen at the tourney and flea bottom. There's no real sense of Westeros as we only ever see a room or two at a time for the immediate scene we're in. How expensive is it for even a few large, static CGI canvas?

I'm bitchin' but I like it a lot. I would have been happy to see the back of the three eyed crow though. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I was just thinking about the last episode and I might of missed this but is the guy who caught Tyrions coin (in the Inn) supposed to be Bran?

That is where he comes into the story isn't it? IIRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

SK1979 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about the last episode and I might of missed this but is the guy who caught Tyrions coin (in the Inn) supposed to be Bran?

That is where he comes into the story isn't it? IIRC?

Bronn you mean? Could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dades wrote: »
    Starting to seem more like an elaborate stageplay to me.

I'm really missing the big scenes like what we should have seen at the tourney and flea bottom. There's no real sense of Westeros as we only ever see a room or two at a time for the immediate scene we're in. How expensive is it for even a few large, static CGI canvas?

I'm bitchin' but I like it a lot. I would have been happy to see the back of the three eyed crow though. :p

I'm pretty certain there's more of the Hand's Tourney to be seen in next week's episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain there's more of the Hand's Tourney to be seen in next week's episode.

Yeah, I just checked to make sure and there's nothing to indicate that that scene is over, that is just the precursor to the main parts. They are saving the biggest stuff for Ser Loras and Jaime and Sandor Cleagane. I think it's a bit unfair to judge anything based on it so far , but I'm not 100% confident they'll do it really well either. But we'll see drama and exciting fights, not just one lance sticking in one knight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm really missing the big scenes like what we should have seen at the tourney and flea bottom.

Definitely agree with you there. I had imagined the tourney being much larger in scale. I mean nearly the whole city is meant to be going to it.

And again, there's still no look at the scale of the dothraki horde. I only looks like a small band of them. Not tens of thousands in size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Definitely agree with you there. I had imagined the tourney being much larger in scale. I mean nearly the whole city is meant to be going to it.

And again, there's still no look at the scale of the dothraki horde. I only looks like a small band of them. Not tens of thousands in size.

Pretty sure there's more tourney scenes in the next episode, I've seen clips of the hound fighting the mountain. The crowd does seem a bit sparse though.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's more tourney scenes in the next episode, I've seen clips of the hound fighting the mountain. The crowd does seem a bit sparse though.

The crowd and setting is really what I meant. It just doesn't look like the huge event that it was in the books. But don't get me wrong, I'm still loving it. I'm just nitpicking with stuff like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's a few years since I last reread the books, but weren't the dothraki meant to live in a hot climate? Bit poor seeing them traipse around Norn Iron scenery in the show.

5starpool wrote: »
    It's a few years since I last reread the books, but weren't the dothraki meant to live in a hot climate? Bit poor seeing them traipse around Norn Iron scenery in the show.

Yeah I agree. They're trying to make it look a bit more eastern, but it doesn't really work. I had always imagined it a lot more desert-like

You do realise there's only so much they can afford when making this show right? :)

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. They're trying to make it look a bit more eastern, but it doesn't really work. I had always imagined it a lot more desert-like

Wasn't those parts filmed in Malta and Morocco?

You do realise there's only so much they can afford when making this show right? :)

Yeah of course. I'm just conversing. As I've said I'm really happy with it!! And just nitpicking.

But they were in Malta filming anyway. And, to my own personal vision from the book, that kind of climate is what I imagined for the Dothraki. I know it mentions grasslands too though

Which bits are filmed in NI and which in Malta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Kings Landing seems to be mainly Malta, everything else NI except for the Wall which is the only big bit of CGI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Witchy.ie

I must admit that I'm loving it so far. I hadn't read the books at all but just started book one yesterday. Sean Bean is wonderful and I really haven't had an uneasy moment with any of the acting so far, maybe if I knew the books first I'd find more to complain about but really liking it so far.

• Advertisement

Of course - but are CGI backdrops really that expensive these days? Amateurs fan-movies on the net can do some impressive stuff with no budget!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Of course - but are CGI backdrops really that expensive these days? Amateurs fan-movies on the net can do some impressive stuff with no budget!

exactly, i've seen some amazing - pretty much free - work done on youtube etc, they have a lot to spend, use it! It all seems so 'small' atm.

It still doesn't look right often though - depending on the level required. Look at "Sanctuary" where the CGI often looks artificial but is used for many backgrounds. Or "Spartacus".
    Also we don't know what their budget is to pay the large cast, actors, etc. I'd stab a guess and say Season 2 would allow them more to play with because they've already paid up the large startup costs.
    The one area I do think they could throw in a dollop of SFX is to show a larger scale sized army of Dothraki. Even a few shots should suffice.

The one and only Firefly series cost less than the $60M? for GOT. Plenty of CGI in there to go with the 'costume drama'.

I've come to the conclusion they're saving all the budget for the Battle of the Blackwater. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Firefly would've had a much smaller cast, less "name" actors etc...

Still though, a little CGI to show the Dothraki kalezars couldn't have cost that much surely?

The one and only Firefly series cost less than the $60M? for GOT. Plenty of CGI in there to go with the 'costume drama'.

I've come to the conclusion they're saving all the budget for the Battle of the Blackwater. ;)

Did you mean the Whispering Woods? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Which bits are filmed in NI and which in Malta?

All the rainy and or bleak/depressing scenes were in Malta while all the bright and sunny scenes were shot in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Okay did I totally miss something while reading the book!?
    Renley and Loras being gay?

Episode was another strong one. Although I am finding the fight scenes to look a bit cumbersome.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Episode was another strong one. Although I am finding the fight scenes to look a bit cumbersome.

Your spoiler is definitely in there, though never explicitly stated.
    You pick it up from comments made by others...

• Advertisement

“Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I’ll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found.” - Jamie Lannister

Advertisement