Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

mewso wrote: »
    Not to mention it might catch up with Martin and he'll be under more serious pressure than a few troublesome fans to finish the thing :)

At this rate it will most definitely catch up with him. 1 book took how many years? And he'll have 3 or 4 years to do the last 2. That's if we see book 5 this year. I reckon with this kick up the arse will help but he's not a fast writer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Sleepy wrote: »
    I *really* hope this gets at least a Season 3 to see the reaction to
    the red wedding

This.

Please, please, please...
    I can't wait for non-reader reaction to that scene...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NothingMan wrote: »
    At this rate it will most definitely catch up with him. 1 book took how many years? And he'll have 3 or 4 years to do the last 2. That's if we see book 5 this year. I reckon with this kick up the arse will help but he's not a fast writer.

There is a possibility of book 3 being made into a coulpe of seasons though I reckon, and I reckon for books 4 and 5 they will have to merge them for TV purposes as I can't see a tv audience putting up with main characters like Tyrion not appearing for a whole season. I've obviously no idea what way it will actually work out, but it may not be as linear as it may appear at the moment wrt the tv conversion from books. Hopefully he can get the next 2 books churned out a couple of years apart, but there is no real way of knowing this to be honest. Past form would indicate he won't, but as was said, there are different pressures on him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The end of ADwD is supposed to have taken him the longest, a plot point he called a "Myrenese Knot" in his blog. Hopefully, now that this is resolved and given his comments that from this point on the POV characters start to reduce, the next books *should* be structurally simpler for him to write.

TLDR: He wrote himself into a corner, he claims the end of ADwD has him out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Another good episode this week. All though I did feel that the wight in the Mormont's chambers looked a bit shít. Just some pale guy with cloudy eyes. I imagined them a lot scarier looking in the book myself.

I like how they nicely balance King's Landing, the Wall, the Dothraki etc in each episode. Nice little chunks that tell the story for each area without spending too long on each one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Another good episode this week. All though I did feel that the wight in the Mormont's chambers looked a bit shít. Just some pale guy with cloudy eyes. I imagined them a lot scarier looking in the book myself.
    If he hadn't looked like a frozen person they would've torched him in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    If he hadn't looked like a frozen person they would've torched him in the first place.

But when he was reanimated in Mormonts chambers he didn't really look frozen to me. Ah well, it's only a minor detail, didn't ruin anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My first post in this thread

New to the books and just finished Game of Thrones last night

Definitely wasn't the ending I was expecting

Like a lot in the TV forum I was expecting the final scene to be a fleet of ships bringing Khal Drogo and his army of 40,000 across the sea.
    Would be the perfect shot to setup Series 2 and the second book

Well I was completely wrong! :p
    But then so is most everyone over in TV forum and their speculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

yeah its such a shame what happened Drogo but on the other hand....
    DRAGONS!!!!!
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Woo. A thread where we can talk about the fustigate!

Rite. 1st off was anyone else surprised that they left out Tyrions chat with Bronn about this first lover? Book 3 spoiler:
    When I first read this , I had a hunch that Tyrion would kill his father. It seemed fairly important and finishing on "A Lanister always pays his debts" sealed it for me.

2nd Lack of wolves in the Bran / Wildlings scene in the forest. They seem to be very important to the story as far as I am concerned and they should get their epic moments on screen too.

Thought the Arya Syrio scene at the start of episode 8 was incredible. Miltos Yerolemou could not have played Syrio any better.

Are there any rules for this thread? Such as discussing things in the 2nd book in the open? I am gonna spoiler everything from the 2nd book on to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Are there any rules for this thread? Such as discussing things in the 2nd book in the open? I am gonna spoiler everything from the 2nd book on to be sure.
    Nothing concrete as I don't want to have to run the locked-down approach in the TV forum. However, I think using a spoiler space for anything from Book 2 onwards is good for now and none at all needed for discussing anything in Book 1...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ixoy wrote: »
    Nothing concrete as I don't want to have to run the locked-down approach in the TV forum. However, I think using a spoiler space for anything from Book 2 onwards is good for now and none at all needed for discussing anything in Book 1...

Sounds about right. I'm sure there are a few new readers only going through Book 1 due to the interest from the TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Is it me, or in episode 8 was Tyrion humming Beethoven 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Personally I can't wait for
    The Red Viper Vs. The Mountain
    if the series makes it that far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

He he. Loved loved episode 9. The TV thread is going nuts.

Lack of battles was a bit worrying. Tyrion getting knocked out before the battle was rubbish. There is no way they will be able to talk their way through (Season 2)
    the battle of the blackwater

Thought the Twins were done really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Man this is cracking me up! People are going crazy!!

"George R. R Martin, you are a sick, cruel, twisted individual, may god have mercy on your soul..... I blame you!"

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ok that wasn't a spoiler.

Its funny though, thats the reaction i've been waiting for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

immediate reaction after the episode ended

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Any ideas on when pre-production for Season 2 will start?

I don't think that's announced yet
    But they're currently scouting more locations up in Northern Ireland. Not sure on the definition of pre-production

Good info here
    http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Production_timeline

But not a lot of info on season 2

After the pilot it took four months to film nine episodes.
    Obviously most everything is now in place so it should be faster this time

I don't know the start date though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Is it wrong that I'm taking so much enjoyment from peoples' reactions to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I think it's hilarious, ffs how long has the first book been published for?
    And really it's Sean Bean LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

He he. Loved loved episode 9. The TV thread is going nuts.

Lack of battles was a bit worrying. Tyrion getting knocked out before the battle was rubbish. There is no way they will be able to talk their way through (Season 2)
    the battle of the blackwater

Thought the Twins were done really well.

Agree on both counts Tyrion getting knocked out was the sort of slapstick humour I could do without and if they can't find a creative and economically viable way to shoot the battle of Whispering wood(think the opening battle in Rome that introduces us to Titus and Vorenus) which if I remember correct wasnt even an open field engagement and saw Jaime and his men caught with there pants down in camp , how are they gonna handle the bigger engagements to come :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's not exactly like the books had loads of battles anyway.Pretty sure that's how the 1st book went tbf. It's not til later in the series, like Kings Landing, and stuff at the Wall that we got battles depicted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

titan18 wrote: »
    It's not exactly like the books had loads of battles anyway.Pretty sure that's how the 1st book went tbf. It's not til later in the series, like Kings Landing, and stuff at the Wall that we got battles depicted.

Not a lot of battles but ironically whenever Tyrion is fighting it describes it in good detail. I can't decide if they were implying he was knocked out through-out the fight or not since they did seem to be leading him from where the battle took place as if maybe he came to and took part. It was a bit strange. Amusing but the fact that he can actually fight whether badly or not is important and should have been shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sleepy wrote: »
    Beruthiel: Season 2 is already confirmed and new characters are being cast at the moment, ratings are holding strong (actually grew from the premiere!) and the critical reception (something which HBO tend to pay heed to) has been close to universally fawning so, for now at least, it should be pretty safe. :)

I *really* hope this gets at least a Season 3 to see the reaction to
    the red wedding

this!

I can't decide if they were implying he was knocked out through-out the fight or not since they did seem to be leading him from where the battle took place as if maybe he came to and took part. It was a bit strange.

I thought it was clear enough he was knocked out before the battle even started.
    He hadn't a clue of the result or his men had done. He played zero part in the battle.

And in that it differs to the book but with time constraints it simplifies it for the viewers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not a lot of battles but ironically whenever Tyrion is fighting it describes it in good detail. I can't decide if they were implying he was knocked out through-out the fight or not since they did seem to be leading him from where the battle took place as if maybe he came to and took part. It was a bit strange. Amusing but the fact that he can actually fight whether badly or not is important and should have been shown.

Haven't reread them yet,trying to finish Malazan before rereading them before the 5th, but I think the book basically does what the TV show did in relation to the 1st battle, and I think Robb and Jamies battle is just retold in Riverrun afterwards. Don't think we get the battles til later in the series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Haven't reread them yet,trying to finish Malazan before rereading them before the 5th, but I think the book basically does what the TV show did in relation to the 1st battle, and I think Robb and Jamies battle is just retold in Riverrun afterwards. Don't think we get the battles til later in the series

Not quite, Roose Bolton commands the army of foot that battles with Tywin and it wasn't a suicide mission, they withdrew after achieving their purpose without getting wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No that bit where he was knocked out was totally different in the book and described as it happened. He got stuck in but was saved a couple of times by others iirc.
    mikemac wrote:
    I thought it was clear enough he was knocked out before the battle even started.
    He hadn't a clue of the result or his men had done. He played zero part in the battle.

And in that it differs in the book but with time constraints it simplifies it for the viewers

Watch it again though. He gets knocked out at the tent but then he is being carted out of the area where the fighting took place back to the tents. Thats why I think it was vague.

Advertisement