Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Honestly Jackobyte, there's be no issues with watching the whole GOT series and spoilers for book two.
    Casting suggestions for Stannis ........

For me I wouldn't look much further then Jason Isaacs he's made a name for himself playing unlikable humourless curmudgeons

Issacs or Mark Strong would be great, but I've heard Christopher Eccleston touted recently and I've always been a big fan of his. Plays a great bad guy (in a crap movie) in Gone in 60 Seconds. That said he'd make a great Davos too....

Also the producers need to pull a biggish name out of the hat now Sean is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He could do a job alright

001-041944.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

5starpool wrote: »
    There are some scenes in the last episode from book 2, but very little really.

I think its just Arya and Jon's scenes which are extended slightly into the 2nd book. Arya's ending in the first book wouldn't really have worked on tv and I suppose they wanted a good tease regarding Jon's storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

mikemac wrote: »
    He could do a job alright

001-041944.jpg

Apparently he's too busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Dades wrote: »
    Issacs or Mark Strong would be great, but I've heard Christopher Eccleston touted recently and I've always been a big fan of his. Plays a great bad guy (in a crap movie) in Gone in 60 Seconds. That said he'd make a great Davos too....

Also the producers need to pull a biggish name out of the hat now Sean is gone.

And what about Melisandre? Thats a character that will mess with peoples heads, it has to be someone imposing and slightly masculine in stature, I would have said Lucy Lawless if she wasn't doing Spartacus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

After having ASoIaF on my reading list for years now, I've finally started on them. Finished Game of Thrones this afternoon, and am now kicking myself that I missed the tv show too (not that I have either of the channels it was aired on anyway). Totally in love with everything about the world so far. Amazing :D I wasn't quite expecting that ending though - I was convinced Dany would throw herself on Drogo's funeral pyre and the dragons would be birthed from her ashes (death = life after all :pac:) or something. I can't wait to read more of her story. And Arya's. And Tyrion's. And Jon's. I want them all! :P

And what about Melisandre? Thats a character that will mess with peoples heads, it has to be someone imposing and slightly masculine in stature, I would have said Lucy Lawless if she wasn't doing Spartacus
    I hate the character in the book but someone hot would make it bearable. :p

I'm thinking Christina Hendricks, currently in Mad Men, but known only to me as Saffron in a couple of episodes of Firefly.
    I'm sure some of you lot will remember that.

Oh yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just after starting the book so didnt have a read through the thread, after watching the series, looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Christopher Ecclestone would be an amazing casting. He always does a great job in whatever role he plays!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Wouldn't rate him at all, he has so little variety to his voice that all his performances seem like the same character to me or something...
    As well as that, he doesn't look the part. Stannis needs to look like a soldier...sturdy but lean. Eccleston is too lanky looking.

Davos is going to be tricky to cast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Eccleston would make a great Stannis.

I haven't read enough of Book two to know who'd make a good Davos. Would Purefoy make a good Davos? Would love to see Purefoy in GoT in some way, and it sounds like he'd be up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ray Winstone would be my dream cast for Davos.

Stannis is a tough one, has to look younger than Mark Addy but have an old man's head on his shoulders...

Eccleston is too scrawny to be Stannis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

After having ASoIaF on my reading list for years now, I've finally started on them. Finished Game of Thrones this afternoon, and am now kicking myself that I missed the tv show too (not that I have either of the channels it was aired on anyway). Totally in love with everything about the world so far. Amazing :D I wasn't quite expecting that ending though - I was convinced Dany would throw herself on Drogo's funeral pyre and the dragons would be birthed from her ashes (death = life after all :pac:) or something. I can't wait to read more of her story. And Arya's. And Tyrion's. And Jon's. I want them all! :P
    Is it just me or is Sansas' story just taking up valuable space that could be better filled by Dolorous Edd or an extended Hodor story (Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor HODOR:D). I hope he manages to make her some bit interesting before the end. I just cant get her purpose:(

5live wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Sansas' story just taking up valuable space that could be better filled by Dolorous Edd or an extended Hodor story (Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor HODOR:D). I hope he manages to make her some bit interesting before the end. I just cant get her purpose:(

I can't stand Sansa :( I'm halfway through Clash of Kings now and she's still grating on me!

I can't stand Sansa :( I'm halfway through Clash of Kings now and she's still grating on me!

I didn't mind Sansa's chapters that much, Martin definately has something in mind for her.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I didn't mind Sansa's chapters that much, Martin definately has something in mind for her.

They're just a bit too :rolleyes: *facepalm* ish for me! :pac: I'm looking forward to seeing where she ends up though.

Shame it wasn't her pushed out the window in the first 100 pages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Brienne has been cast! check it out here

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    Brienne has been cast! check it out here

They must be departing away from the description of the six and a half foot, muscly chested, horse faced wench that is Brienne in the books.

Edit: Scratch that, saw a picture of her standing beside someone, she's feckin huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

pljudge321 wrote: »
    They must be departing away from the description of the six and a half foot, muscly chested, horse faced wench that is Brienne in the books.

Edit: Scratch that, saw a picture of her standing beside someone, she's feckin huge!

According to Wikipedia she's 6 ft 3 in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Heard his name bandied about for the role of stannis in the comments section of a Game of thrones article

Kevin Mckidd

LuciusVorenus-ep03_1.jpg

Yes I know he is in Grey anatomy but thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

He was also in Rome so hes well used to a rough blood thirsty role

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A bit of hair dye and it might work.

He does look like he's never smiled in his life. Perfect for Stannis :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

show needs robert carlyle, not sure as who though :p

As Nicholas Rush via a wormhole. Slight deviation from the books, but would be worth it I think.

Davos possibly, he would have made a good Littlefinger as well.

It'll be interesting to see who they get to play Roose Bolton, Edmure and Balon Greyjoy.

Edmure and Balon Greyjoy don't get huge amounts of focus. Can't imagine them getting well known actors for those parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Perfect Davos alright though he'd be a good Dolourous Ed or Quorin Halfhand either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I vote for Ken Duken as Stannis

tumblr_ln5uqezTZP1qhw1nuo1_500.jpg

Advertisement