Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Excellent!

Given the TV show has been given a whole forum, I think the *readers* deserve a spoiler-free paradise to hide in.

Just need massive spolier alerts in the thread title and first post.
    And a note along the lines of if you haven't read all the books - come back when you have. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Does all the books include the Dunc and Egg novellas?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Does all the books include the Dunc and Egg novellas?
    Yes. As it stands they don't have much connection to the TV show anyway so probably won't be mentioned too much.

Aye, but there's more than a few connections to plotlines in ADwD.

I know most readers will have gotten through the ASOIAF novels but many may still be looking for copies of the short-story compendiums the Dunc and Egg tales come in.

I've read at least one Dunc & Egg and I don't remember anything madly relevant.

I think it's a risk worth taking. :pac:

• Advertisement

The latest Dunc and Egg has ADwD background
    as it features Bloodraven

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sleepy wrote: »
    The latest Dunc and Egg has ADwD background
    as it features Bloodraven

Egg is maester aemon's brother!

That too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Does reading (well I would be listening) a song of ice and fire ruin anything for the tv show (mostly likely what will come up in season 2, which is speculation I know but still)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What, all of the books? Obviously they'll give you the plot of the tv show...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Doesn't ruin anything only enhances. I've read all the books, and know all the plotlines for season two and I'm excited as a kid in a sweet shop about the return of the tv show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Does reading (well I would be listening) a song of ice and fire ruin anything for the tv show (mostly likely what will come up in season 2, which is speculation I know but still)

???

The series is based on the books so of course it will tell you what's going to happen. IT seems like each TV series is covering one book, so this next season should mostly be A Clash of Kings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The TV series follows the books very closely unlike say 'Dexter'. You'll know what will happen but that can actually help - I know I, and others here, are looking forward to seeing how they'll interpret and portray characters and events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

So season one maps to book one, so reading A Game of Thrones (book one) it will not ruin season 2 then?

I prefer reading books after tv shows that way it expands the universe instead of condensing it. A personal choice.

Thanks everyone sorry for the confusion "A Game of Thrones" not "A song of ice and fire" is the title of book one, my bad, I just meant book one.

So a song of ice and fire is book one, so reading it will not ruin season 2 then?

I prefer reading books after tv shows that way it expands the universe instead of condensing it. A personal choice.

No, A Song Of Ice And Fire is the name of the series. A Game of Thrones is book 1. Reading it should not spoil Season 2 of the show.

EDIT: Haha, you ninja :P

So season one maps to book one, so reading A Game of Thrones (book one) it will not ruin season 2 then?

To be honest, I don't know how you could wait a year or more between reading books having read the first one.

Screen and novel are completely different media. So as much as you say you'd like to see how the novel expands on the series, a reader loves to see how the series has handled the novels...

Just read 'em, I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

To be honest, I don't know how you could wait a year or more between reading books having read the first one.

Screen and novel are completely different media. So as much as you say you'd like to see how the novel expands on the series, a reader loves to see how the series has handled the novels...

Just read 'em, I say!

Couldn't agree more. There is collasal differences in reading a book and watching the TV show. Like, the peripheral characters deaths are much, much more visceral in the TV show than the book. Although, they did add a scene to make that death more important to the viewer, but I agree, read the book then watch the show if you want.

Sure I've read all the books, and I can't wait 'till season two. Perhaps becuase Dinklage's voice is perfect as Tyrion:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I had heard about these books a few years back but only got into them about three or four years ago. The problem with having a series of anything is that you just want to see what happens next. A friend of mine (let's say Tom) loaned another friend (Lets say Harry) the first series of 24 years ago (Just before season 2 started). The very next night I was staying at Tom's house, pinting and gaming when, about 3AM Tom get's a text from Harry: "You b*stard, it's like f*cking crack. I''ve watched 12 episodes in a row!!!".

You may SAY you'll only read Book 1 but, if it gets its teeth in (And it may not. The books are even bleaker than the series). But, if, as I was saying, it gets it's teeth in then you'll have all books finished, even given their size, before season 3 starts....... And that's when Daeny torches The Seven Kingdoms except for Tyrion and Jon, who are on the other two dragons.......... ooops, sorry, that was VERY poor fan fiction :)

As for Peter Dinklage. These days casting directors are getting AWESOME. Gone are the days of "who can we get?". Especially in fantasy: What is it about fantasy. While Lord Of The Rings may not be to everybody's taste, we can probably all agree that the casting was AWESOME (The only problem I had before seeing the movies was John Davies as Gimli as he has a tendency to go OTT but he (and his double) proved me wrong). And The Harry Potter series casting was picture perfect. But Peter Dinklage........Let me let you bypass my ramblings about casting in three short words........

Best...........
    Casting.......
    EVER..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

But Peter Dinklage........Let me let you bypass my ramblings about casting in three short words........

Best...........
    Casting.......
    EVER..........

Not really, he is fantastic don't get me wrong. But they have totally sexed him up for the show. I was expecting a crooked and twisted imp, with different colored eyes and a horrible limp along with it.
    Sure he sounds like Tyrion but he doesn't look like Tyrion.

Not really, he is fantastic don't get me wrong. But they have totally sexed him up for the show. I was expecting a crooked and twisted imp, with different colored eyes and a horrible limp along with it.

A complaint I'm sure Dinklage would be happy to have! "No, sorry, you're too handsome to play an ugly bastard like Tyrion Lannister."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭sxt

"Winter Is Coming" mudda****ers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

sxt wrote: »
    "Winter Is Coming" mudda****ers!

Sisterf**ckers would be more apt I think :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, yeah, I get your point. But TBH when I was reading them I never imagined any of the disfigurements. Sure, Martin goes on and on about Tyrion's joints etc but, apart from the different colour eye thing (which I also have) I never imagined him as being particularily deformed. As you said, he's pretty well distorted in the books but I just never imagined him that way.
    I can't see them scarring him as badly in the series as he is in the book either. I reckon they'll just give him some kind of "cool" scarring.

Well, yeah, I get your point. But TBH when I was reading them I never imagined any of the disfigurements. Sure, Martin goes on and on about Tyrion's joints etc but, apart from the different colour eye thing (which I also have) I never imagined him as being particularily deformed. As you said, he's pretty well distorted in the books but I just never imagined him that way.
    I can't see them scarring him as badly in the series as he is in the book either. I reckon they'll just give him some kind of "cool" scarring.

I'd be really disappointed if they wussed out like that.
    His extra deformities are what make him really really bitter in the later books. Shame to just give him a "cool scar" or something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I'd be really disappointed if they wussed out like that.
    His extra deformities are what make him really really bitter in the later books. Shame to just give him a "cool scar" or something.

In fairness,
    Tyrion has plenty to make him bitter, the scars aren't that important. The fact that his opinion of his physical nature is bad enough as is means any kind of scarring can be played as bad to worse. His forced sham of a marriage, the betrayals, his treatment at the hands of his family are far more important to his character development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just as the second season has gotten underway, HBO officials have renewed “Game of Thrones” for a third.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/game-thrones-back-a-season-hbo-ratings-climb-article-1.1059402?localLinksEnabled=false

Great news!,thats my TV sorted for next year as well.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

errr.... and the year after that - Storm of Swords will take up two seasons.

And the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that. SPOILERS MARKED...:
    Dinklage
    said he was signed on for six seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

errr.... and the year after that - Storm of Swords will take up two seasons.

And the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that. SPOILERS MARKED...:
    Dinklage
    said he was signed on for six seasons.

Just because a certain actor has signed a contract for x number of years doesn't mean a show will have that many seasons. If the show was cancelled, the actor would probably receive compensation of some sort.

Like when Amanda Tapping had a contract for an 11th season of Stargate SG1, when SG1 was cancelled they put her into Stargate Atlantis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Hi all,

Currently reading A Storm of Swords and loving the books so far.
    Up there with Tolkien and Robin Hobb in my opinion.

Anyway, I was just wondering what other people think about the following:

I've just finished the chapter where Sansa escaped.
    During that chapter at the Queen's breakfast the whole Dragonbone Hilt Dagger issue arose again in that Tyrion picked up on Jeoffrey saying he was no stranger to Valyrian steel...I think the implication is that Jeoffrey orchestrated the assasination attempt on Bran because he hates the Starks and well...he's Jeoffrey.

What I'm confused about is I think I remember Littlefinger saying he lost the dagger to Tyrion in a bet when Tyrion bet against Jaime. However, when Catelyn said as much to Tyrion on the way to the Eyrie he denied it and said he never bet against Jaime.

What I don't understand is if Tyrion actually owned the dagger, if Littlefinger was lying and how the dagger wound up with Jeoff! Any opinions welcome but please none based on events after Jeoff's death. Cheers.

One other thing, when Littlefinger helps Sansa escape he make a reference to Catelyn giving him a gift a woman can only give once. I assume he's talking about her maidenhead but I thought I also remembered Catelyn specifically remembering giving it to Eddard! Is the guy just deluded or what?? Thanks for any opinions.

• Advertisement

Littlefinger believes he took Catelyn's maidenhead. She knows he doesn't. You figured that much out, the rest should be easy ;)

The dagger was one of King Roberts which Joffrey supplied the assassin with to kill Bran. Littlefinger plants the story of it being his and Tyrion having won it in order to remove
    Tyrion as a political threat to himself
    Or at least that's how I remember it...

Advertisement