Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Sleepy wrote: »
    Littlefinger believes he took Catelyn's maidenhead. She knows he doesn't. You figured that much out, the rest should be easy ;)

See here :
    You've lost me here...I figure he took the sisters (the whole baby she lost before she married John Arryn) but Littlefinger seems to have actually convinced himself he took Catelyn's too..??
    Will it become clear if I just read on?

The dagger was one of King Roberts which Joffrey supplied the assassin with to kill Bran. Littlefinger plants the story of it being his and Tyrion having won it in order to remove
    Tyrion as a political threat to himself

And here:
    Okay, but what's confusing me is the fact that Littlefinger said he bet on Jaime and Tyrion against. Was there ever actually a bet? I mean, is it possible that Littlefinger merely said he lost it to Tyrion to create further conflict between the Starks and the Lannisters, conflict that he could take advantage of. Which also makes me wonder if he put the idea in Jeoffs head to kill Bran and whether Tyrion ever had anything to do with the dagger at all...maybe he lost it to Robert...Littlefinger is a complete schemer...I'm starting to seriously dislike/like him!

Or at least that's how I remember it...

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You've lost me here...I figure he took the sisters (the whole baby she lost before she married John Arryn) but Littlefinger seems to have actually convinced himself he took Catelyn's too..??
    Will it become clear if I just read on?
    I read it as he took Lysa's while feverish from injuries meted out to him by Brandon Stark and in his fevre dream thought it was Cat.
    Okay, but what's confusing me is the fact that Littlefinger said he bet on Jaime and Tyrion against. Was there ever actually a bet? I mean, is it possible that Littlefinger merely said he lost it to Tyrion to create further conflict between the Starks and the Lannisters, conflict that he could take advantage of. Which also makes me wonder if he put the idea in Jeoffs head to kill Bran and whether Tyrion ever had anything to do with the dagger at all...maybe he lost it to Robert...Littlefinger is a complete schemer...I'm starting to seriously dislike/like him!
    And it's exactly why I like him as a character! ;)

Littlefinger's like the Doctor, he lies. The conflict between the houses of Stark and Lannister has been good for him, I believe he set it in motion with aims on, if not quite the Iron Throne for himself, a position of high power. It wouldn't have been hard for Joffrey to be goaded into killing someone now would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I read it as he took Lysa's while feverish from injuries meted out to him by Brandon Stark and in his fevre dream thought it was Cat.

Ah, okay.

So it's possible that...
    he slept with Lysa, thinking she was Catelyn. The next morning he still thinks he's had Catelyn; but Catelyn acts like it never happened. He figures she's just thought better of it kind of thing. Lysa thinks she's started a relationship with Petyr, and approaches him as herself. He's a teenage boy so he sleeps with her. He thinks this is the first time he's slept with Lysa, but it's actually the second.

Years later, he's still bragging that he took both sisters' maidenheads because he believes he did but he didn't.

Or at least that works from most angles anyway and it sits okay in my head. Cheers :D Now back to the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Its like the CIA has redacted everything on this thread!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So anyway...

Well, that last episode (E08) was a bit lame. Hard to believe there's only two left...

At least Blackwater is next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

KD11 wrote: »
    Its like the CIA has redacted everything on this thread!
    ▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ and ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ when ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓. ▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓

Dades wrote: »
    So anyway...

Well, that last episode (E08) was a bit lame. Hard to believe there's only two left...

At least Blackwater is next.

As usual there was a great Bron/Tyrion scene and the Tyrion/Varys scene was brilliant too. Lotsa use of the C word this episode. They must've been down on their quota. The next two are going to be pretty cool. I wonder if they'll get the budget though......

Apparently they got a 10% increase on the whole Season's budget just for next week's episode! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Apparently they got a 10% increase on the whole Season's budget just for next week's episode! :D
    They'll be able to afford ten fighters on screen at once! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Seems pretty kickass to me:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Hmmm link doesn't seem to be working. Let's give it another go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm4Dy_thADc

Hmmm, I don't know about that.

The battle shots at the end of that trailer look like disappointingly lacking in *oomph*. Where's the dozen burning ships trapped in the harbour?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dozen? If there's not a few dozen, if not a hundred, it won't do the scene justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Dozen? If there's not a few dozen, if not a hundred, it won't do the scene justice.

I don't think there was a hundred i n the book? Unless there were others that just weren't mentioned.

Yeah it won't be as big as in the book, but I think the episode will do it justice:P

I thought there were at least 200 ships in Stannis' fleet. Of those ... I don't think it's unreasonable to think half or a third of them got caught in the wildfire. Though I'd have to re-read the scene again to be sure.

Now, I could be wrong but, when I was reading it I only imagines a couple of dozen ships, 30 at the most.

As for the lack of oomph factor regarding the ships burning, I would imagine it'll probably be split over the two episodes. I would imagine it will end with
    Tyrion getting milled out of it and leaving people wondering if he's alive or not
    as the final scene.

They need to end this season on a high. While this book has a decent ending of course it's not as startling as the other potential season endings. They need to keep people interested, to get those DVD sales and get people hanging on for season 3. Apparently book 3 is going to be divided into season 3 and 4 so they have their own big endings
    The Red Wedding and Joffery
    and I would imagine that they'll cut out a lot of the faffing about in books 4 and 5. So IMHO this ending is their potential weak link

Now, I could be wrong but, when I was reading it I only imagines a couple of dozen ships, 30 at the most.

10 battle lines of 20 each, was the way I remembered it. Either way, I'll doubt we'll get to see that many in the show.

As for the lack of oomph factor regarding the ships burning, I would imagine it'll probably be split over the two episodes. I would imagine it will end with
    Tyrion getting milled out of it and leaving people wondering if he's alive or not
    as the final scene.

I'm curious as to what they do with
    Tyrion alright. He loses his nose in the books, but I doubt they'll do that in the series.

I'll have to re-read the next book to remember what happens. Looking forward to the Danaerys scenes, she gets a few pretty cool ones if I remember correctly. The Unsullied scene is this book isn't it?

Nah, I said in a previous post, I reckon they'd
    just give him a kind of "cool" scar down the side of his face. He's most people's favourite character so do they really want to destroy his face like in the book? Book-wise it's all well and good having him all hideously scarred but I don't think it would work visually on TV or a movie. Plus, practically, you gotta look into the costs of a massive makeup job.

Still, I suppose we'll find out soon enough/early next season.

As for the number of ships: Was that what it was? Mad, I just imagined the 25-30 ships in the harbour and loads more outside. It's gas how ya get an image in yer head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Major Tyrion speculation/spoiler:
    He is alive but he did get a massive slice down his face as far as I could see. They hardly made him the last leader and essentially hold the city until his father came just to go and kill him

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Stannis first up the Siege Ladders - LOL.

• Advertisement

While it was a very decent episode, I felt it was a bit rushed, which was a pity, because it afforded to opportunity for so many great scenes and bits of interaction between characters. Still, they got it pretty much down, even if it was rushed. It's no "Two Towers", but the budget doesn't stretch that high.

There were still some great moments.
    - Bronn and Gregor Clegane's face off in the drinking den, and Bronn "saving" him later on. And the preceeding singing of the Rains of Castamere that Tyrion whistles every so often.
    - Tyrion having a dig at Varys for liking boys.
    - The horror of wildfire was done pretty well, for the time/space they had for it. The screams were terrible and the look of disgust on Tyrion's face when he sees the alchemist's/Joffrey's smile is great.
    - As much of a **** as the character is, Lena Headey absolutely nailed it in that episode. You really bought into the character during her slide into despair. You even feel a bit sorry for her at the end during the Tommen/Throne scene. She's almost like a little girl when Tywin and Loras kick the doors in.
    - Lancel finally growing a pair of balls was nice to see. Even if Cersei hands him a new one (while injured admittedly).
    - Stannis leading from the front. Who says no one likes him? (Other than Martin, obviously)
    - No Daenerys. Her next season is cooler, but this one was almost pointless for her.
    - The National's version of the Rains of Castemere was deadly.

Pity that there wasn't a thing made of them using Renly's armour, as I liked that part of the books.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

There's nothing in the books about Varys being a paedo - wtf? **** HBO for introducing that ****. He's a complete enuch - no balls, no dick. He has his "little birds" but he uses them in a non-sexual fashion

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

jayteecork wrote: »
    There's nothing in the books about Varys being a paedo - wtf? **** HBO for introducing that ****. He's a complete enuch - no balls, no dick. He has his "little birds" but he uses them in a non-sexual fashion

You know Martin wrote this episode himself, right?

Why is everyone using spoilers in this of all threads??

I thought a character scenes and the wildfire set piece were brilliant.

Can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by the subsequent battle scenes. It's like Stannis was trying to storm a small keep, not sack the capital of Westeros. I know they have budget constraints but anyone watching that out of context would never have known what scale it was supposed to represent.

Would a few wide (CG) shots have really been that expensive??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

...........The National's version of the Rains of Castemere was deadly......
    Absolutely, but it sounds better from a 'soldier'.....(who is a singer!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=mIUyVeDsHfs

*embedding didn't work for me.....

I think so tbh. The detail required for a wide shot of the battle in the age of HD would make it very difficult to do.

I think we're so used to huge battle scenes in the likes of LOTR etc. it's ruining smaller budget productions for many of us!

I think we're so used to huge battle scenes in the likes of LOTR etc. it's ruining smaller budget productions for many of us!
    Definitely, I am thinking back to watching the Sharpe series on TV many years ago. (It was set during the Peninsular War of 1808-1812) They used a lot of smoke effects to limit the viewers field of vision, there were never more than 50 guys visible at any one time.

Look back a Braveheart (1995) and it was also quite small in scale compared to the epic grandeur of LOTR.

Well?!

I thought the season finale was pretty good.

Gave each of the threads a bit of a look in and whetted the appetite for next season. It'll be a long nine months... I wonder if George might throw the Winds of Winter out to keep us busy. ;)

...Gave each of the threads a bit of a look in and whetted the appetite for next season. It'll be a long nine months... I wonder if George might throw the Winds of Winter out to keep us busy. ;)
    Oh the optimism of youth, welcome to years of GRRM procrastination......

• Advertisement

Well?!

I thought the season finale was pretty good.

Gave each of the threads a bit of a look in and whetted the appetite for next season. It'll be a long nine months... I wonder if George might throw the Winds of Winter out to keep us busy. ;)
    The only way that book would come out before Season 3 is if Season 3 was nine YEARS away........... maybe!

Advertisement