Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nearly finished ADWD, is there any similar series to GoT that might be worth waiting in the lead up to Winds of Winter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not similar but I don't know anyone who's read both who disliked Brandon Sanderson's Mystborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

For anyone interested...........

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Sleepy wrote: »
    Not similar but I don't know anyone who's read both who disliked Brandon Sanderson's Mystborn.

got mistborn for Christmas. Thought they where brilliant!! Defiantly worth a read..
    I also though Dwarves by Markus Hertz was good as well, not the same as either mistborn or ASOIAF, but good none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

clashburke wrote: »
    got mistborn for Christmas. Thought they where brilliant!! Defiantly worth a read..
    I also though Dwarves by Markus Hertz was good as well, not the same as either mistborn or ASOIAF, but good none the less.

Must give Mistborn a shot so.

I'd also recommend Robin Hobb's books, the Farseer Trilogy and the Liveship Traders. Brilliant writer and definitely an influence on some of GRRM's stuff.

Is it still looking like 2014 for Winds of Winter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sin0city wrote: »
    Is it still looking like 2014 for Winds of Winter?
    At the earliest I'd say!

Dades wrote: »
    At the earliest I'd say!

Hate to say it but there's a fair possibility he'll pull a Robert Jordan on it and die before he finishes the books. Not the healthiest looking lad and he's getting on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hate to say it but there's a fair possibility he'll pull a Robert Jordan on it and die before he finishes the books. Not the healthiest looking lad and he's getting on.
    And he's also signed a two year deal with HBO including developing a new series. More distractions!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

ixoy wrote: »
    And he's also signed a two year deal with HBO including developing a new series. More distractions!

I'm with Neil Gaiman on the "GRRM is not your b*tch" stance, but as a reader of his stuff, it's frustrating as hell that he seems to spend so much time on other projects, and is now taking on more.

It would suck if the Jordan situation repeated itself.
    Obviously at a human level, it'd be terribly sad to see such a talent die, but if he were to die before he got to complete his masterwork, it'd be a tragedy.
    Especially considering he doesn't have notes and is on record as saying ASOIAF would die with him in that event.

I wonder though...after the huge backlash over progress on ADWD, will GRRM do a Bowie with the next book...out of the blue, when no-one is expecting it to be done anywhere near as quickly, and with little in the way of ongoing progress reports, will he announce just that it's done...
    I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

fitz wrote: »
    Especially considering he doesn't have notes and is on record as saying ASOIAF would die with him in that event.
    I thought he had given the producers of the show a set of notes detailing how he sees it all ending so they wouldnt be a million miles apart when the show catches up to the books?

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote: »
    I thought he had given the producers of the show a set of notes detailing how he sees it all ending so they wouldnt be a million miles apart when the show catches up to the books?

He's told them how it ends, but basically, they'd be on their own in terms of coming up with how to get there, cause he hasn't written any of that. He's more or less winging it.

I'd hoped the pressure of staying ahead of the TV show would keep him focused on getting the books out, but it's too soon to tell really.

You can't rush the creative process, and he can't work on it every waking hour, I just hope he's not taking on things that eat into the times he could be working on ASOIAF.

I just really hope we don't end up watching the conclusion of such an epic saga on television. Not that I've anything against the series, I hear it's really good and I will watch it, but hopefully after I've read it.

He's told them how it ends, but basically, they'd be on their own in terms of coming up with how to get there, cause he hasn't written any of that. He's more or less winging it.

I'd hoped the pressure of staying ahead of the TV show would keep him focused on getting the books out, but it's too soon to tell really.

You can't rush the creative process, and he can't work on it every waking hour, I just hope he's not taking on things that eat into the times he could be working on ASOIAF.

he has given detailed notes on all that he knows will happen, that the end the major players left and the main points in between. Still a lot to fill in mind but he also has boxes and boxes of notes that he has been writing for years!! stay positive:)

clashburke wrote: »
    he has given detailed notes on all that he knows will happen, that the end the major players left and the main points in between. Still a lot to fill in mind but he also has boxes and boxes of notes that he has been writing for years!! stay positive:)

He has stated definitively that if he dies before he finishes writing, the series of books dies with him. There will be no Jordan/Sanderson style situation where someone else finishes it from his notes.

So, while I know the writing will take however long it takes, I'll be really disappointed if we never get to read his conclusion to the series.

Personally, new creative projects are always exciting, but if I was him, I'd be deprioritising everything else to get my magnum opus finished. I would think the prospect of not getting a chance to complete such a work would be terrifying tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

He has stated definitively that if he dies before he finishes writing, the series of books dies with him. There will be no Jordan/Sanderson style situation where someone else finishes it from his notes.
    They "finished" dune from 30 pages (then again the personal note at the end of the last proper book still touches me); I'm quite certain it will be "finished" as well though obviously not with the same level of detail and flaire as we'd be used to.

Nody wrote: »
    They "finished" dune from 30 pages (then again the personal note at the end of the last proper book still touches me); I'm quite certain it will be "finished" as well though obviously not with the same level of detail and flaire as we'd be used to.

I really can't see his wife (who's decision it will be) going against the wishes he's no doubt written in to his will. If he keels over, that's the end of the books.
    He's said this multiple times, why would anyone believe otherwise?

I really can't see his wife (who's decision it will be) going against the wishes he's no doubt written in to his will. If he keels over, that's the end of the books.
    He's said this multiple times, why would anyone believe otherwise?

Just the books? I mean has he given HBO license to continue should he die without completing the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

GRRM and Scott Lynch got together to talk about effective procrastination techniques.

Just the books? I mean has he given HBO license to continue should he die without completing the books?

Far as I've read, the HBO guys know how he wants to end the story in the books, so that if the worst happens, they can finish, but how they get there could be quite different.

There are so many subplots/characters that won't be in the TV show...there would be a lot left unresolved if the books weren't finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Trojan wrote: »
    GRRM and Scott Lynch got together to talk about effective procrastination techniques.

I thought they put that off until next year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

fitz wrote:
    I'm with Neil Gaiman on the "GRRM is not your b*tch" stance, but as a reader of his stuff, it's frustrating as hell that he seems to spend so much time on other projects, and is now taking on more.
    I'm going to be slightly controversial and suggest that the problem isn't distractions but the self-indulgent writing itself. Jordan wouldn't have left WoT unfinished if he hadn't been writing such meandering and inconsequential books. GRRM isn't quite at that point but the books could be a lot leaner without sacrificing much of the plot (I'm looking at you, Feast for Crows). GRRM needs a strong editor not to chain him to the desk but to tell him to cut out the unnecessary material

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Reekwind wrote: »
    I'm going to be slightly controversial and suggest that the problem isn't distractions but the self-indulgent writing itself. Jordan wouldn't have left WoT unfinished if he hadn't been writing such meandering and inconsequential books............GRRM needs a strong editor not to chain him to the desk but to tell him to cut out the unnecessary material
    Dear God yes......I am stubbornly awaiting the end of WoT, but my heart left the series about 4 books ago. I think it was book 8 or 9 that was 1000 pages long and advanced the story exactly 1 month.....what a waste. Jordan meandered all over the place and kept diverting from the actual core plot.

Reekwind wrote: »
    I'm going to be slightly controversial and suggest that the problem isn't distractions but the self-indulgent writing itself. Jordan wouldn't have left WoT unfinished if he hadn't been writing such meandering and inconsequential books. GRRM isn't quite at that point but the books could be a lot leaner without sacrificing much of the plot (I'm looking at you, Feast for Crows). GRRM needs a strong editor not to chain him to the desk but to tell him to cut out the unnecessary material

ASOIAF is selling too well for an editor to have so much control over GRRM... Its like he says if some thing is going well the ball is in your court time/plot wise. If rating/sales etc. are falling the editors can push more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Yep. And that's the curse of success

I remember an undoubtedly apocryphal story of a young editor who was complaining at a literary party about the decline in quality of Stephen King's books, with the obvious suggestion that he could do better. Only it turned out that King's UK editor was at the same party and she promptly tore him apart by pointing out that if our young gun actually did take a hatchet to King's next novel it would result in either:
    a) Sales remaining the same, or marginingly increasing. The legions of King's fans would by the book without really caring about the quality
    Or
    b) The book was a flop. Which can happen

In the first scenario the editor is an irrelevancy but in the second, who would get the blame? The editor and his over-zealous editing of course. So moral of the story: don't tamper with the golden goose or you'll get the blame when things go wrong. The same unfortunately applies to GRRM as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tenger wrote: »
    Dear God yes......I am stubbornly awaiting the end of WoT, but my heart left the series about 4 books ago. I think it was book 8 or 9 that was 1000 pages long and advanced the story exactly 1 month.....what a waste. Jordan meandered all over the place and kept diverting from the actual core plot.
    So agree; I gave up after that book and now I'm only completing it (via audio book) for the time already spent and not bothering when the books are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Tenger wrote: »
    Nody wrote: »
    So agree; I gave up after that book and now I'm only completing it (via audio book) for the time already spent and not bothering when the books are released.

Let me help you avoid reading the gawdawful book 10. Here's what happens:
    Egwene moves army to TarValon, gets captured.

All joking aside, that's all you need to move from book 9 to book 11 without missing anything of significance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Don't get me wrong.....I have read all book up to now. But my heart just wasn't in it.

I could go out and buy aMoL today, but I am so unbothered that I can wait for the ebook in May. Something to read while on holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

As someone who has watched the series but not read any of the books, I've got to say I couldn't give a fig whether GRRM wrote a single word of what I see on screen. It's good fun to watch, but brain is entirely in neutral and I wouldn't notice a bit of difference if the coffee runner wrote the script for the next 10 series.
    This isn't to say the books might be the best thing ever, just I don't think it makes much difference to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    As someone who has watched the series but not read any of the books, I've got to say I couldn't give a fig whether GRRM wrote a single word of what I see on screen. It's good fun to watch, but brain is entirely in neutral and I wouldn't notice a bit of difference if the coffee runner wrote the script for the next 10 series.
    This isn't to say the books might be the best thing ever, just I don't think it makes much difference to the series.
    Everything that happens in the series was written by GRRM so of course it makes a difference..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dan_Solo wrote: »

In neutral? then, yeah, you obviously haven't read the books. Not that they are a chore to read it's just that the story is so HUGE and there are so many characters and storylines that it's sometimes hard to get your head around them all. *

As for Martin's input into the series? I'd say it's huge. He was originally a TV writer remember, so he knows how to structure a story. But if Martin doesn't finish the books then the TV writers can do what they want. There are things coming up in the next few series that would NEVER have been done on the show if there were no books behind them. They must be done on the show because leaving them out would send the books and the series down totally different paths. But the paths the books go down would never have have been attempted if it was just a TV show

* I must reread them myself as I've only read them once and I'm sure I missed a boatload

Advertisement