Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

mcgovern wrote: »
    Quick one, I finished Midnight Tides, should I read Night of Knives, or Bonehunters next? I'm seeing conflicting opinions online.

Bonehunters will continue the story. NoK will give you a better sense of the history of the world. I'd read NoK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

It's Official.
    On Tuesday, two days after the show’s third-season premiere, HBO officially renewed GAME OF THRONES for a fourth season. Giving the green light to air another 10 episodes in 2014. http://tv.broadwayworld.com/article/HBO-Renews-GAME-OF-THRONES-for-Fourth-Season-20130402

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's Official.
    Seeing how on a certain site with a pirate ship the show had about 4x as many seeders/leechers as the second TV show in popularity I'm not surprised.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It is actually the most pirated show of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dades wrote: »
    It is actually the most pirated show of all time.
    I know Season 2 hit that; was not aware that Season 3 had managed to beat the record or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My impatience has gotten the better of me. I simply can't wait X years for the whole story via the telly. Chapter 1, Book 1, is now done. 10 pages down, 4661 pages to go (Appendices excluded).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

tricky D wrote: »
    My impatience has gotten the better of me. I simply can't wait X years for the whole story via the telly. Chapter 1, Book 1, is now done. 10 pages down, 4661 pages to go (Appendices excluded).

You'll just have to wait nearly as many years for the full story via the books as well. 6 years wait for the latest book to be published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

5starpool wrote: »
    You'll just have to wait nearly as many years for the full story via the books as well. 6 years wait for the latest book to be published.

How many years for the next book? GRRM seems to have released several spoiler chapters already. Is three years viable ie 2014?

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    How many years for the next book? GRRM seems to have released several spoiler chapters already. Is three years viable ie 2014?

No idea, but I know that AFFC was a couple of years longer than he planned, and said that was because he was splitting stuff between that and ADWD as he couldn't fit allin that he had planned, and that ADWD would be out not much longer than a year after AFFC, and look how that turned out! He had updates every few months for a while on his (not a) blog page saying that it should be too long, before he eventually stopped doing that and said it would be ready when it was ready, and all told it was 6 years. If he can release in 2014 and then 2017 that will be a reasonable schedule I guess comparing to recent books, and would mean the books finish before the show, which is as it should be, especially given the somewhat differing content (although the main points are the same mostly).

Just watched the Red Wedding episode!

Brought back a few happy memories (of being shocked to bejesus) from the books. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Just watched the Red Wedding episode!

Brought back a few happy memories (of being shocked to bejesus) from the books. :D

I've been waiting for the reactions on Twitter since they announced the TV series. :D

Ep.9 Spoiler: https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Ive read the books and saw the Red Wedding coming but still....

JESUS.

Thought they might have kept it til the end of the season...

From the internets

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

I am following tv series and not book -so apologies to all the purists out there.

Without giving anything away re actual events - tell me the starks do eventually get their revenge?

I am following tv series and not book -so apologies to all the purists out there.

Without giving anything away re actual events - tell me the starks do eventually get their revenge?
    I've dropped you a PM with a answer to avoid spoiling anything for people on the thread; I'm up to date on the books so if you got more questions feel free to ask them there as well :)

There's two more books yet to be written so what "eventually" happens is anyone's guess. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm not sure what the "shock" was (and no, I haven't read the books). If you weren't reaching for king what's his face's throat as soon as they closed the hall doors then you're really are a, well, Stark aren't you.

So at what point did you see the slaughter of Robb, his pregnant wife, his mother and half his army coming?

So at what point did you see the slaughter of Robb, his pregnant wife, his mother and half his army coming?
    That was half his army in one castle hall? No wonder he needed reinforcements... Did all those northern houses just evaporate when their king was killed?
    As soon as Mr Lannister was off his beer I knew there was something up. When they cleared half of the room to make some space for slaughtering it was past obvious.
    Besides, weren't we all told when Ned died to expect anyone and everyone to buy the farm whenever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Damn those pesky Lanisters!

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    That was half his army in one castle hall? No wonder he needed reinforcements... Did all those northern houses just evaporate when their king was killed?
    As soon as Mr Lannister was off his beer I knew there was something up. When they cleared half of the room to make some space for slaughtering it was past obvious.
    Besides, weren't we all told when Ned died to expect anyone and everyone to buy the farm whenever?

You might as well stop watching then with that attitude. It's all going to be a yawn to you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That was half his army in one castle hall? No wonder he needed reinforcements...
    In the books the hall was a lot bigger and filled with a lot of his army. That's where we're coming from.
    Did all those northern houses just evaporate when their king was killed?
    Eh no. Robb was the unifying figure to tie them all together. It's not exactly like they were friends. That's been common throughout history. No figurehead or leader any more and alliances can fall apart.
    As soon as Mr Lannister was off his beer I knew there was something up.
    Mr Lannister? You mean Bolton? He's always been a control freak - that was hardly a sign. The chain mail was but not the drinking.
    So every time the enemy in a show / book / film threatens the hero you firmly believe they'll always follow through?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ixoy wrote: »
    In the books the hall was a lot bigger and filled with a lot of his army. That's where we're coming from.

At $6M odd per episode, I must admit some disappointment in the filming of the Red Wedding. They could (A) have done some more to emphasise the scale of what happened, particularly with the soldiers in the tents outside. A bit of CGI and a lot of extras, and pull some of the budget from other episodes. And (B), did we really need the Daenerys scenes? That's another 3-6 minutes they could have used for the incidents.

I was really looking forward to this one and I still think they did a good job, just that it could have been better.

I think it must have been one of the biggest secrets that one group of people (ASOIAF readers) has kept from another (the TV viewers). Reminds me of Santa :)

Trojan wrote: »
    At $6M odd per episode, I must admit some disappointment in the filming of the Red Wedding. They could (A) have done some more to emphasise the scale of what happened, particularly with the soldiers in the tents outside.
    Agreed. Dan Solo (above) wasn't even aware of the slaughter of the troops that went on outside the walls. (Though there is a chance this will be shown/alluded to next week).

There's a good analysis on Westeros.org suggesting how they got the menacing tone all wrong.

Another thing, they kinda used the Red Wedding as a distraction to skimp on Danaerys taking Yunkai. That unfolds more like a play, where you just see the action being talked about.

Agreed. Dan Solo (above) wasn't even aware of the slaughter of the troops that went on outside the walls. (Though there is a chance this will be shown/alluded to next week).

There's a good analysis on Westeros.org suggesting how they got the menacing tone all wrong.

Another thing, they kinda used the Red Wedding as a distraction to skimp on Danaerys taking Yunkai. That unfolds more like a play, where you just see the action being talked about.

It's the eternal problem of transforming fantasy fiction to TV or even film. It costs absurd amounts of money to do it properly (LOTR only got the funding it needed because, as parodied elsewhere, it's the hallowed nerd bible). A TV series was never going to command a large enough budget to do justice to the grander scenes in GoT. I don't mind, I didn't expect them to be able to do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

at 6 million per episode you can throw together a bigger experience but not done in an expensive way, the soldiers in the tents are a good example. However I cant really say as I've only seen season one. Stargate cost 1-2 million per episode, this is 6 :eek:

Was well aware of the 4 guys standing at a cart in the castle courtyard who got killed.
    Must have been Robb's reserve legion.
    You also say I have failed to notice something which you then say wasn't even in the episode as it might be in next week's? Great logic that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

George RR on Conan the other night

Conan: You sick bastard....

Trojan wrote: »
    They could (A) have done some more to emphasise the scale of what happened, particularly with the soldiers in the tents outside.
    Agreed. Dan Solo (above) wasn't even aware of the slaughter of the troops that went on outside the walls.
    You also say I have failed to notice something which you then say wasn't even in the episode as it might be in next week's? Great logic that...
    That's a rather no-so-subtle change of my phrasing. Did you do it for dramatic reasons or did you miss the point?

I used you as a example of how the show failed to convey what was in the books... i.e. that outside the walls the partying Northmen army was decimated by Frey soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

That's a rather no-so-subtle change of my phrasing. Did you do it for dramatic reasons or did you miss the point?

I used you as a example of how the show failed to convey what was in the books... i.e. that outside the walls the partying Northmen army was decimated by Frey soldiers.
    Watch the beginning of next weeks preview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ4paRnLmWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    The slaughter ain't over yet..

Advertisement