Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Options

Comments

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's what he said as well when A Feast For Crows was published, as that and a Dance of Dragons were originally intended to all be one book. It seems to me like he is doing a Robert Jordan on it, and over verbalising things and going in too many different directions, although I hope I'm wrong. Maybe AFFC was just a lull in the series quality and it will be back to normal for Dance if he ever gets around to publishing it. He seems to be as comic-con type shown every second week though. Between that and watch American Football, it is no surprise it is taking him so long.

You might be right about the over-verbalising, but going in too many directions is one of the things going for the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You might be right about the over-verbalising, but going in too many directions is one of the things going for the series.

Over-verbalising? Really? I thoguht that was just called good writing.

My favourite promo ic so far has to be this gotHBOpromo.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

seen the cast list a good while back, all good. cant wait. best fantasy series of all time. ever. period.

Over-verbalising? Really? I thoguht that was just called good writing.

5starpool's words, not mine.

I don't think you can say the two are synonymous though. For example, in some women's writing you can have books where every detail of the meals eaten are described when they are neither relevant to the story or develop characters.
    This is over-verbalising and most definitely bad writing.

I personally didn't notice Martin over-verbalising though, I was just conceding that he may have done so without my realising as I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

My favourite promo ic so far has to be this gotHBOpromo.JPG

Winter is coming?!!? Winter is bloody well here. Now where's our g*ddamn book?

And as for over-verbalising= good writing? You might wanna check out http://www.bulwer-lytton.com :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And as for over-verbalising= good writing? You might wanna check out http://www.bulwer-lytton.com :)
    Bastards there have overlooked my entries three years running. They don't know bad writing when they see it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Was talking to my uncle today and he was saying that the series is meant to come out in the US Spring, probably around March if all goes to plan.

He also said that despite it still being in production there's talk that they'll most likely get a Clash of Kings made too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Dades wrote: »
    The caption (lazy journalism) under Tyrion's pic annoyed me though:
    Marauding ways? He's one of the smartest, least prone to violence characters in the books.

Probably just assumed he was a capering comic relief character becuase he's a dwarf. Tyrion is probably the best character in the series.

So HBO are premiering Game of Thrones on April 17th, and to air over here on the new Sky Atlantic channel in "April".

As a very content UPC customer (TV digibox, Broadband), methinks I'll be looking elsewhere to get my fix come April. Grrr!

Not long now though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah disappointed it'll only be on Sky :(

I'm in Canada at the moment so it's looking like I'll have to get HBO or other means...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

So HBO are premiering Game of Thrones on April 17th, and to air over here on the new Sky Atlantic channel in "April".

As a very content UPC customer (TV digibox, Broadband), methinks I'll be looking elsewhere to get my fix come April. Grrr!

Not long now though!

Damn, in the same boat! Is Sky Atlantic exclusive with the Sky Package?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Damn, in the same boat! Is Sky Atlantic exclusive with the Sky Package?
    At the moment, yeah, and I suspect this won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Was talking to my uncle today and he was saying that the series is meant to come out in the US Spring, probably around March if all goes to plan.

He also said that despite it still being in production there's talk that they'll most likely get a Clash of Kings made too!!

I reckon if the first series is a success they'll jus continue with the storyline from the second book under the same title Game of Thrones.. who knows they may eventually go in a different direction to the book, that's why things like this are always interesting. I hope they just do a good job on the first series... from what i've seen of the promos it looks fantastic!

HERE IT IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR:

APRIL 18th Mondays on Sky Atlantic

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Plenty of time to sort out where/how I'm going to watch this...

Who (with Sky Atlantic) wants to host a Sci-Fi & Fantasy evening? Finally I can wear that Chewbacca outfit I got fitted for last year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Who (with Sky Atlantic) wants to host a Sci-Fi & Fantasy evening?

That would be a deadly idea :P I'd be well up for it. Unfortunately I don't have Sky though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

New trailor here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk.

Also, HBO have hidden a scene here. (For those who have read the book, it's the scene where Needle makes its appearance.) You need to solve a puzzle before unlocking the scene. It looks like they'll be releasing five scenes in this way eventually! :)

For the less puzzle inclined, you can find the solution here.

(Yes, I'm a little too obsessed with this series...)

Nice one!

Those flash sites annoy the hell out of me but the trailer was worth it.

*nerd alert*

They seem to have gone with a different style sword for needle.
    George RR Martin had spoken well of this replica which you can buy, and it looks a much nicer sword than the fancy guilded thing in the trailer.

They even had shots of "Arya" with the replica.

It's a nice blade but IMO it looks a little too sleek and modern for Westeros. The handle in particular looks very minimalist. I know Needle is supposed to be simple but minimalism is completely anachronistic to a medieval setting.

OTOH I really like that photo of Arya so I guess it works as long as you don't look too closely.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

According to this link, publish date for A Dance with Dragons has been set for July 12th.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/

Best.Orangemans.Day.Ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

awesome, it's looking good for the series finally being finished some time this century

This is amazing news! I'm impressed with how quickly it's getting published (relative to the book's completion date rather than its start date obviously ;)). I didn't dare hope we'd have it by July.

Oops - just overlapped with this news in a new thread after hearing somewhere else...

Thought it deserved a new one after 5 years - and this better kept for the HBO show. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oops - just overlapped with this news in a new thread after hearing somewhere else...

Thought it deserved a new one after 5 years - and this better kept for the HBO show. :)

Damn thanks-stealer you :p

There's two for ya. ;)

I did check to see if it had been posted before starting a thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Anyone know what deal has been done on the series of books? Could they continue to make the series without basing them on the books, like Showtime did with Dexter - the first season is based on a book, but from then on TV writers wrote new stories for the characters.

Is that an option here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

5starpool wrote: »
    According to this link, publish date for A Dance with Dragons has been set for July 12th.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/

Best.Orangemans.Day.Ever.

I hope so but I'll believe it when the book is in my hands. suppose we'll have book 6 by 2025.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I hope so but I'll believe it when the book is in my hands. suppose we'll have book 6 by 2025.
    In between Book 5 and Book 6 you'll be able to enjoy lots of Wild Card books and American football reports..

• Advertisement

Another new trailor with loads of new stuff: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/.

Advertisement