Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME OF THRONES [Book and TV Discussion (US Pace)]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Lyanna wrote: »
    Another new trailor with loads of new stuff: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/.

Ah wow. That really is the best one yet. I'm getting more pumped up about it with each one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

pH wrote: »
    Anyone know what deal has been done on the series of books? Could they continue to make the series without basing them on the books, like Showtime did with Dexter - the first season is based on a book, but from then on TV writers wrote new stories for the characters.

Is that an option here?

I hope they stick to the books. There is definitely enough material there for a good few seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ellunia

Sleepy wrote: »
    I was the same. First proper fantasy series I've *ever* read (if you discount Harry Potter). The closest I'd come before was an attempt to read LOTR which I gave up on after about 2 chapters of what I consider awful writing.

I want to read the Game of Thrones. I'be heard about it only because my partner was working as an extra in the series - being of dark skin and long dark dreadlocks he suited very well for some southern barbarian warriors tribe. But the words quoted above are the worst recommendation for this book ever. If Tolkien's writing is awful for those that like the Game of Thrones, I'm slightly afraid of the quality of the latter book.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ellunia wrote: »
    I want to read the Game of Thrones. I'be heard about it only because my partner was working as an extra in the series - being of dark skin and long dark dreadlocks he suited very well for some southern barbarian warriors tribe. But the words quoted above are the worst recommendation for this book ever. If Tolkien's writing is awful for those that like the Game of Thrones, I'm slightly afraid of the quality of the latter book.

That was one persons view. I'm sure the majority who like GRRM's books like Tolkiens as well. They are different level of fantasy though, with GRRM's series focusing less on the magic and non humans, although there are elements of that as well. Tolkiens stuff was fantastic, but this is a different type series. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed (the last book was a bit of a let down though in comparison, but hopefully the new one will pick up again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ellunia

5starpool wrote: »
    Give it a go, you won't be disappointed

I certainly will at some point, it is not THAT easy to discourage me from a fantasy book when it crosses my way ;) I was just a little surprised by this harsh comment on Tolkien's writing. I don't have a problem with people not finding it attractive - everyone likes different things - but calling it 'awfull writing' is simply contradictory to the reality ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Huge fan of both RR's books (George and "J"). :D

No reason whatsoever you can't enjoy them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Another new trailor with loads of new stuff: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/.

That trailer looks class, seriuosly can't wait for this now

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Great preview.. Cannot wait for this to be aired! Anyone else notice Jory being played by hugh laurie at 1.30? They kept that one quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Great preview.. Cannot wait for this to be aired! Anyone else notice Jory being played by hugh laurie at 1.30? They kept that one quiet!
    That's not Hugh Laurie. Way too young. I do like the casting alright. It seems pretty spot on. Didn't someone post here before that their uncle layed Littlefinger? (Yer man from Queer as folk by the looks of it. Great actor).

Ha.. Was only joking about it being Hugh Laurie.. Should have stuck in a wee wink face or something! Yea hes a great actor.. He was in the Wire as well! HBO really have the best shows..

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

I certainly will at some point, it is not THAT easy to discourage me from a fantasy book when it crosses my way ;) I was just a little surprised by this harsh comment on Tolkien's writing. I don't have a problem with people not finding it attractive - everyone likes different things - but calling it 'awfull writing' is simply contradictory to the reality ;)

To be fair, I'm a massive fan of LOTR, but the writing (not the storytelling) does get pretty awful as the books progress. By ROTK, all the characterisation is 2 dimensional and the writing descends into indulgent prose way too often. It is a masterpiece that influenced the entire genre, but it's not without it's flaws.

Tolkien was a great worldbuilder, but he's been surpassed in many respects by the writers he influenced. Martin's work has a wonderful realism to it, and doesn't get sucked into writing for the sake of writing.

If you liked Tolkien, you'll more than probably like Martin.
    When you're done with Martin's stuff, read the Malazan books by Erikson.
    Erikson is the best I've ever read in the genre imo, but be prepared to feel battered after reading his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

with ASOIAF the characters and story ahve more deepth and is more mature and brutal than LOTR.

LOTR doesn't have as much to play with, its more a straight forward good vrs evil story. Whereas ASOIAF has the politcal intrigue and twists to keep it engrossing and interesting while making sure it doesnt fall into a simple good vrs evil story. Martin continously is able to offer alternative views on its own story from the fact it builds its story through multiple character points from all sides of the families involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Didn't someone post here before that their uncle layed Littlefinger? (Yer man from Queer as folk by the looks of it. Great actor).

Aye, that's me. Was talking to him the other day and he was saying he might be able to get me the first few episodes on a dvd (The ones they woulda sent out to people doing reviews in advance). I don't have Sky Atlantic so it would be nice to get that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Your uncle is Mayor Carcetti?, cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Aye, that's me. Was talking to him the other day and he was saying he might be able to get me the first few episodes on a dvd (The ones they woulda sent out to people doing reviews in advance). I don't have Sky Atlantic so it would be nice to get that!

Would love to get my hands on that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

^^ Great stuff!

Don't you just hate it when singers come to your table? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Reality can be as subjective as taste ;)

I detest writers who use a chapter when a paragraph will suffice. It fails the basic elements of stylish writing. TBH, GRRM can be a little guilty of this himself when it comes to describing every course of a feast etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

Bit concerned on the age of some of the cast, Aren't the Robb and Jon meant to be 14/15 in the first book? And Jaime and Cersei mid 20's?

Either way I'm looking forward to this, hopefully it won't be a travesty.

i think the ages are grand, martin himself has said that he regrets not making some of the kids a little older - also this is HBO and Jon at least has sex scenes if it goes into a second and third series so he needs to be of age

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

Sleepy wrote: »
    Reality can be as subjective as taste ;)

I detest writers who use a chapter when a paragraph will suffice. It fails the basic elements of stylish writing. TBH, GRRM can be a little guilty of this himself when it comes to describing every course of a feast etc...

well he's correct in pulling somebody for calling tolkien on his 'awful writing' or whatever. If you don't like Tolkien you say 'I don't like Tolkien' and thats grand you don't say he's an awful writer. Because its simply not true. Even Martin himself regards LOTR as his single biggest inspiration as do many authors - in simple terms without LOTR we wouldn't have the truly awesome ASOIAF.

In effect calling Tolkien an awful writer simply because you don't like his style is like saying Slash is an awful guitarist because you don't like GNR or Rooney is an awful player because I don't watching like United

• Advertisement

H. Flashman, I could stretch to saying Tolkien is a good storyteller - his plots aren't bad, they've made good movies. I can't abide him being described as a good writer because, as I said in my first post, I consider his writing awful. His writing is up there with Dan Brown's in terms of commercial success to quality of written word imho.

It's just an opinion, and one I'd have of many other traditionally considered "great" writers too (e.g. Steinbeck). Mass admiration of something doesn't make the view that it's brilliant "fact" any more than mass criticism of something makes it "false" (just look where that stance has gotten the world in terms of religion).

Anyway, we're veering way off topic here...

Meet the Starks video in George's latest blog...

I'm as excitable as a child at the start of December!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

i think the ages are grand, martin himself has said that he regrets not making some of the kids a little older - also this is HBO and Jon at least has sex scenes if it goes into a second and third series so he needs to be of age

Where and when did Martin say he wished he made them older? As far as I read he was backing up making them that young. He actually stated that it was historically accruate for children in medieval times to go through the experiences that he wrote about at the ages he has them in the books.

Don't think this one was posted...

Getting saucier!

Where and when did Martin say he wished he made them older? As far as I read he was backing up making them that young. He actually stated that it was historically accruate for children in medieval times to go through the experiences that he wrote about at the ages he has them in the books.
    It's referenced on a few of the fan-sites and in his blog.

ASOIAF was originially supposed to have a 5 year gap between books 3 and 4. That got cut when Martin struggled to tell the story in book 4 without over-reliance on flashbacks.

I think it's more to do with the ages they'll end up being at the end of the series and the ages the children acting the parts have to be for the TV adaptation than the realism of they things that happen to them at, what are to us, young ages.

Looking forward to the series but not as much as I'm looking forward to....... (Spoiler, no REALLY spoiler for those who haven't read the first THREE books)
    Looking forward to people's reaction to Ned Stark's death and especially The Red Wedding. I don't think I was ever as surprised in a book as I was at the Red Wedding

Aye,
    the Red Wedding
    is going to be a huge surprise for everyone. When commenting on the casting, George RR Martin, made the remark that
    "some of the young ladies watching may never forgive me if we make it to the third season!"

They're going with "Game Of Thrones" (I think I may have seen a sub heading of "Song of Ice and Fire" on a poster but not sure). So if it is successful and it goes to two, three or more seasons are they ust going to keep the title "Game Of Thrones"? Or will they rename it each season? :)

Think they've said it's going to stay as "Game of Thrones"

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when this will air on Sky Atlantic? I've tried looking it up but I just keep finding different dates..

Advertisement