Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting money out of this country

Options
  • 10-11-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I have a lump sum which i and the fiance have been saving hard to gather and it's to go off the mortgage when our fixed rate is up in 2 years.

As this country is bankrupt and i really dont trust our Government to sort the mess out i want this money out of the country where the IMF cannot touch it if they come a calling.

So can anybody point me in the right direction on opening a foreign savings account with internet access?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You could try something like rabodirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dublinarea

i have it in Rabo at the moment however as they are operating in Ireland they are subject to the laws of Ireland. So i want it out of here. I may be paranoid but id rather hang on to my cash.

Im looking into Swiss bank accounts so if anybody has any personal experience i would love to hear how you opened it etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Dublinarea wrote: »
    i have it in Rabo at the moment however as they are operating in Ireland they are subject to the laws of Ireland. So i want it out of here. I may be paranoid but id rather hang on to my cash.

Im looking into Swiss bank accounts so if anybody has any personal experience i would love to hear how you opened it etc

No they are licensed by the Dutch Central Bank, there's no control of the Irish Central Bank on your funds.

i will ring Rabo in the morning and confirm that , cheers

If we are booted out or leave the Euro then all monies held in Irish banks will automatically be converted to the new Irish Punt. It will then be devalued.

While this is slim, there is a chance and as there is a chance i want the ability to be able to get my money out at the first hint of trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As this country is bankrupt and i really dont trust our Government to sort the mess out i want this money out of the country where the IMF cannot touch it if they come a calling.

O holy god :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mock if you will, honestly i couldnt care less but i have a family to provide for and am not leaving anything to chance.

Do you pay house insurance? Are you expecting a fire... no you're just covering your arse in case there is one and you would be a fool not to.

All im doing is putting insurance in place in case that fire ever occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Here is some info on it. I personally would not go through the hassle as you could end up loosing money in the process. ie exchange fees, drops in currency rate, bank fees.

Have you researched this? You want to be reading and understanding everything you sign up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

If we are booted out or leave the Euro then all monies held in Irish banks will automatically be converted to the new Irish Punt. It will then be devalued.

I'd love to hear an expert voice his opinion on the likelihood of that eventuality occuring?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi all,

I have a lump sum which i and the fiance have been saving hard to gather and it's to go off the mortgage when our fixed rate is up in 2 years.

So can anybody point me in the right direction on opening a foreign savings account with internet access?

Cheers

I am in a similar situation here. I already have a RaboDirect account, but can you confirm that it's laws are governed by the Dutch Central Bank? My guess is that they are, but is RaboBank still a safe place to house a large sum of money considering what is happening with banks at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd move this to the Conspiracy Theories forum, but they'd probably laugh..

Please see the stickes regarding bank speculation etc at the top of the forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement