Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnnie Mitchell

• 10-11-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Does everyone here watch Sky's coverage? I can't watch the chats in the studio anymore, they have this guy there called Johnnie Mitchell, used to be a TE for the Jets apparently. Listening to him speak is like listening to someone struggling with a foreign language, it's painful. He makes George Bush sound articulate. Kev Cadle asks him questions and often he doesn't even attempt to answer them, he just talks about what he wants, and even the answers he does attempt to give are unintelligible. He also has a serious problem with pronouncing the letter S, which can make things even more confusing.

I think i heard him mention once that he has a radio show!!!!!! The mind boggles. I think Sky got him because he is one ex-NFL player who actually happens to live in Britain. he makes no sense!! I can't believe it's just me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Whole discussion related to this like this in NFL on Sky Sports thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

jdivision wrote: »
    Whole discussion related to this like this in NFL on Sky Sports thread

Ok, thanks for pointing that out, i didn't realise. Still, multiple discussions there tend to get lost, mixed in with all the other ideas about NFL network and sponsorship etc. This is guy is so bad I think he deserves his own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I was looking him up as a player here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MitcJo00.htm

He only played five years (in one of those years he had one catch)

16 touchdowns over a those years...for a first rounder.

But now he's a pundit. Guess we can't get too detailed about his playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I was looking him up as a player here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MitcJo00.htm

He only played five years (in one of those years he had one catch)

16 touchdowns over a those years...for a first rounder.

But now he's a pundit. Guess we can't get too detailed about his playing career.

He is cheap and cheerful as far as Sky are concerned. In order to be Sky pundit a couple of average years seems to suffice and media skills aren't highest on their priorities. They've had a couple of serious twats on over the years who have no business being in a TV studio. All they care about is having 'former NFL player' scrolled accross the bottom because they think the ignorant folk at home will lap it up.

Several years ago I think they decided, Kevin Cadle-as American as their is beside a English guy who knows what he's own about is the perfect combo lined up with a Vet. They are lazy for the most part though.

Shaun Gayle of the '85 Bears is actually a good pundit and they have had a couple of decent guys over the years who have being okay, tbh though that is by accident rather than design.

I think the NFL Vets have a pool of ex players lined up gagging for media work and Sky probably ring up and ask them to send any old codger for a few quid.

Mitchell lives in England so is cheaper than ever before. For a company which insists that their pundits always wear suits and ties just to look professional I can't believe this guy has been their for 8 weeks almost. Being inarticulate should be a red light to proceeding on TV. I doubt the big shots on Sky care though really, probably don't watch. But its their own fault really. The little things count in coverage and I'm not sad I ditched Sky for the first couple of months. The pundits on NFL speak at regular intervals for upto 7 hours almost and they put this clown in. He's not a good advert for the game at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

One I thing I have to say I think Kevin Cadles knowledge of the sport has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Originally I thought he was a bit clueless, you could tell basketball was his first love as he didn't have a brilliant in-depth knowledge but this year I notice he's know a lot more about the league and the players etc then ever before. Him and Nick are a great team, I'd happily watch those two guys on their own unless they get Gayle in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Personally I'd prefer if they dropped the third person in the studio, unless it's Shawn Gayle or Mike Holmgren. There's enough banter between Cadle and Halling. Then use the time to show highlights of the other games rolling. Or get the Dolphins cheerleader Stacy in for eye candy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Personally I'd prefer if they dropped the third person in the studio, unless it's Shawn Gayle or Mike Holmgren. There's enough banter between Cadle and Halling. Then use the time to show highlights of the other games rolling. Or get the Dolphins cheerleader Stacy in for eye candy.

I'd prefer Nick and Kev. They've got a fun chemistry going.

Stacy? Oh God, it was ridiculous after a few minutes having her on, she lasted the half. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

fisgon wrote: »
    Does everyone here watch Sky's coverage? I can't watch the chats in the studio anymore, they have this guy there called Johnnie Mitchell, used to be a TE for the Jets apparently. Listening to him speak is like listening to someone struggling with a foreign language, it's painful. He makes George Bush sound articulate. Kev Cadle asks him questions and often he doesn't even attempt to answer them, he just talks about what he wants, and even the answers he does attempt to give are unintelligible. He also has a serious problem with pronouncing the letter S, which can make things even more confusing.

I think i heard him mention once that he has a radio show!!!!!! The mind boggles. I think Sky got him because he is one ex-NFL player who actually happens to live in Britain. he makes no sense!! I can't believe it's just me.
    The difference this year is that Johnnie Mitchell has been there pretty much every week. Before we'd have Gayle for a fortnight, then Cecil Martin for a while, then someone else for a few games, at least if they were crap we didnt have to tolerate them for a whole season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Tuckman is a relief after Mitchell in my eyes, at least he can formulate and express an opinion coherently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Reinbold was the best pundit Sky ever had imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Reinbold was the best pundit Sky ever had imo.

Also thought Jay Schroeder (sp) was in the same class. Hopefully they have either of them on before/during the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I must be the only one who enjoys Mitchell. He isn't the most eloquent or reasonable pundit out there but he's a likable guy. Prefer him to that Halling bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Shaun Gayle imo was the best.

Forgot about Schraeder he was good too.

One thing I'll never get with Sky is at the SUperbowl they box of Halling and his guest (Jerry Rice) on the red botton as alternative comms. Why not pay for an extra plane ticket for Cadle and actually use the team people know all year round with Rice there too. The BBC have 3 at the game and it works far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Yeah agreed about Sky and their Superbowl coverage. It doesn't work having the game presented from the studio back in London. Even Channel 4 in the 80's presented it live from the game site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Been finding Mitchell amusing this season tbh, my exact thoughts about him when he first came in were that it looked like it hurt him to think! but i gotta admit i have grown fond of his input, not for analytical reasons, just for comic relief

Gayle was excellent imo, as was Reinbold and i quite like Tuckman also, there is only one Nick Halling though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

RichTea wrote: »
    I must be the only one who enjoys Mitchell. He isn't the most eloquent or reasonable pundit out there but he's a likable guy. Prefer him to that Halling bloke.

I agree. Lay off poor Johnnie!

Advertisement