Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER assessment / insulation for rental property

• 11-11-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Looking at doing a BER assessment and possible insulation of rental property (3 bed semi, county clare). Property is an ex council house, built circa 1980. Have some questions:
    1. Is SEI grant scheme still in place and how much can you avail of?
    2. Is there a different grant scheme for rental property or own residence?
    3. Do I apply for grant or is that being taken into consideration by the installer price?
    4. Approximate cost of BER cert alone?
    5. Approximate cost of cavity wall and attic insulation? (and BER cert before and after insulation)
    6. Is there a difference between the types of cavity wall and attic insulation types?
    7. Some attic insulation is already in place. Will the attic insulation from the installers be an addition or replacement for what is in place?
    8. Are all costs re BER test and insulation work tax deductable on rental property?

I am possible looking at doing something similar for a property in Limerick and I presume getting the work done for 2 will get me good overall reductions?

Thanks in advance for all the answers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jugovic

Missed one of the most important questions:

Is there an obvious benefit to doing this insulation?

Other possible property I may insulate (in Limerick) is a 4 bed semi built circa 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

1. Is SEI grant scheme still in place and how much can you avail of? Yes see www.sei.ie/hes for more details

2. Is there a different grant scheme for rental property or own residence?No its the same for all dwellings rented or personal

3. Do I apply for grant or is that being taken into consideration by the installer price? No YOU must apply, you can do so online or download and application form and fill it out the old fashioned way HERE

4. Approximate cost of BER cert alone? Varies between €300 - €500+ you need 2 Certs remember a Before and after Assessment

5. Approximate cost of cavity wall and attic insulation? (and BER cert before and after insulation) Cavity for small townhouse Approx €1200 attic €800 again will vary with the dwelling size

6. Is there a difference between the types of cavity wall and attic insulation types? Yes there are, slight differences. I recommend Silver Bonded Cavity Filled Beads, Make sure any product you use is IAB Certified.

7. Some attic insulation is already in place. Will the attic insulation from the installers be an addition or replacement for what is in place? It will have to be stated on your grant form as a "Top-Up" you will still recieve a grant

8. Are all costs re BER test and insulation work tax deductable on rental property? Not my question to answer but as a landlord myself i imagine so,

Short and Sweet, its late :) Hope this helps

jugovic wrote: »
    Missed one of the most important questions:

There is an obvious benefit to doing this insulation

Other possible property I may insulate (in Limerick) is a 4 bed semi built circa 2003.

Fixed your post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NOELER

The other poster is a bit off with BER prices. BER assessors are falling over each other to undercut each other. I now have the ridiculous situation where two BER assessors are battling it out to do BOTH before and AFTER BER, including cert registration for 165 IN TOTAL, not 300-500. The grant is for 200, so thats what I'll pay which ever assessor I choose. But Know they are desperate for work.******************

edit: read forum riles before posting links

syd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

NOELER wrote: »
    The other poster is a bit off with BER prices. BER assessors are falling over each other to undercut each other. I now have the ridiculous situation where two BER assessors are battling it out to do BOTH before and AFTER BER, including cert registration for 165 IN TOTAL, not 300-500. The grant is for 200, so thats what I'll pay which ever assessor I choose. But Know they are desperate for work.******************

edit: read forum riles before posting links

syd

IF you go with these low low people make sure they will still be registered next year and can actually submit the after cert, A lot of assessors havn't dont the national exam and will not be able to reregister for 2010 without doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ecosid

Just to let people know that I got a Quote from an assessor for a before and after cert for €100(for both not each). I am an assessor and I know that this CANNOT be done.Each Cert costing €25. Also he had to travel 60 km to get to the property. At this rate I am not displaying that I do ber as it de-values the rest of my professional services. Thats my opinion.:confused::confused::confused:

Madness.. The price of a before and after cert is min €250-300. Its also important to remind people that they the assessor is subject to the following:

€25+vat x2 certs to be paid to SEI =60
    The homeowner gets €200 back in the form of the HE'S grant (if applied for)
    An assessor MUST conduct two assessment of the property.

Anyone quoting €100 for an assessment will prop not include the SEI fee or vat or the likelihood that there are two assessments needed.
    I am not here to pull the wool over anyone eyes to pay over the top prices for assessments, but when you get a quote of €100 written on here its either a lie or its someone who's not being upfront with their assessment costs.

Furthermore €100 - €60(SEI) - Travelling costs (€20)

Leaves about €20 for his assessment not to mention insurance or cost of tools and equipment.

As the old saying goes..if it looks like sh1t..smells like sh1t.. It prob is sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

Here's a better deal. My brother got a BER done on his apartment before he rented it out. He put it on ***********and got a quote of €90 all in and this included a 50% discount for after BER (€135 total before and after).
    I know that the 'assessor' was banking on the fact that he wouldnt be asked to do an after BER but what happens if he was?
    My year is nearly up now anyway so I dont really give two ends and the middle of a fiddlers elbow. SEI can stick the BER system up its unmentionable. I'll pay the €100 in January to regesiter again but I'll be doing it on a very part time nixer basis in future seeing as how I have some real work to start in January. If I want a BER done I'll go to the taxi rank in OConnell Street and get it there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SilverBER wrote: »
    Here's a better deal. My brother got a BER done on his apartment before he rented it out. He put it on ************ and got a quote of €90 all in and this included a 50% discount for after BER (€135 total before and after).
    I know that the 'assessor' was banking on the fact that he wouldnt be asked to do an after BER but what happens if he was?
    My year is nearly up now anyway so I dont really give two ends and the middle of a fiddlers elbow. SEI can stick the BER system up its unmentionable. I'll pay the €100 in January to regesiter again but I'll be doing it on a very part time nixer basis in future seeing as how I have some real work to start in January. If I want a BER done I'll go to the taxi rank in OConnell Street and get it there.

SEI seem to be making moves toward having insurance mandatory at the following levels:

Professional Indemnity : €1,500,00
    Public Liability: €6,500,00
    Employers liability: €13,000,000 (if assessor employs others :confused: :rolleyes: )

My guess is these insurance will probably be available at a premium of about €600-800.

Nixer BERs will not be possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ecosid

Well nixers or not, I am definetely fed up of getting abuse when I quote €300 for a Ber Cert. I pay all of my Insurance and fees and unfortunately I am at the Disadvantage of charging Vat. Like I said before it is now de valuing the rest of my services. And dont get me started on the commercial end........:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

Think the PI is a good idea. Will other PI cover say if you have it for site assessment. Cant see why you would want it as there is large room for an error without getting a differnet rating. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

holdfast wrote: »
    Think the PI is a good idea. Will other PI cover say if you have it for site assessment. Cant see why you would want it as there is large room for an error without getting a differnet rating. :eek:
    If you have PI cover you will know that for your quotation you would need to fill out an assesment form stating what works you want covered, if you mentioned site assesment and not BER certification. Then the PI insurance will not extend to cover Ber certification.

That goes for any insurance cover, it will only cover what you get quoted for it to cover.

SilverBER wrote: »
    Here's a better deal. My brother got a BER done on his apartment before he rented it out. He put it on ************* and got a quote of €90 all in and this included a 50% discount for after BER (€135 total before and after).

I wouldn't even mention that site. Its should be BER VULTURES.COM don't give them the publicity by mentioning the site name ;)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    SEI seem to be making moves toward having insurance mandatory at the following levels:

Professional Indemnity : €1,500,00
    Public Liability: €6,500,00
    Employers liability: €13,000,000 (if assessor employs others :confused: :rolleyes: )

My guess is these insurance will probably be available at a premium of about €600-800.

Nixer BERs will not be possible

When SEI make insurance mandatory I will believe it then. There are far too many variables in SEIspeak. Even regarding registration, I was surprised that I was not asked for documentary evidence of a construction qualification at registration so why am I surprised that so many unqualified people are currently working this system?
    For information purposes, I carry full EL / PL / PI cover for my existing business and my insurer extended the cover to BER assessment at no extra charge. That might change this year but I will be simply renewing the existing policy like for like (I wont need the EL for BERs).
    As previously stated, unless SEI weed this out and actually do something real on BERs I'll do them as nixers only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,388 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is running off topic lads. Can we stick to the issue raised in the OP please.

muffler wrote: »
    This is running off topic lads. Can we stick to the issue raised in the OP please.

SMcGie did a good job answering the OP IMHO until the BER cost was mentioned. That is usually enough to send things off on a tangent Muffler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,388 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont drag it further off topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mise_me

Hi,
    This is off the point but on the point,could any of you recommend a good person/company to carry out roof and cavity insulation,please? Could you recommend a person to carry out a BER assessment,please? I live in Dublin city. This person/company would need to be register under the SEAI scheme

Thanks very much,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Recommendations by pm only

mise-me , in the meantime

You can find your assessor here

http://193.178.2.42/SearchAssessors.aspx

And contractor here

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/homeowner/Registered_Contractors_List

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mise_me

Thanks very much for all that information. Very good of you to take the time out to write this down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Smcgie wrote: »
    Madness.. The price of a before and after cert is min €250-300. Its also important to remind people that they the assessor is subject to the following:

€25+vat x2 certs to be paid to SEI =60
    The homeowner gets €200 back in the form of the HE'S grant (if applied for)
    An assessor MUST conduct two assessment of the property.

Anyone quoting €100 for an assessment will prop not include the SEI fee or vat or the likelihood that there are two assessments needed.
    I am not here to pull the wool over anyone eyes to pay over the top prices for assessments, but when you get a quote of €100 written on here its either a lie or its someone who's not being upfront with their assessment costs.
    ...Or someone who also gives you free recommendations after the first BER. Which if you follow up coincidentally involves paying big money over to the sister company which does the work.

Advertisement