Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fluke in cattle

• 11-11-2009 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi
    any one have problems with fluke. A neighbour has a heifer she is eating fine.But seems to be fadeing away with the last few weeks It isn't bvd. So does any body have suggestions what it could be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What other symptoms? Is she scoury?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cowmad

pakalasa wrote: »
    What other symptoms? Is she scoury?
    she was but dried up when she was housed

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

Whats the best dose/injection/pour-on out there for fluke?

When is the best time treat the cattle. I will be housing nearly all the cattle this weekend.

Should i wait a week or two before treating them all for fluke and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

I used Closmectin pour on last week. Dear but good reports about it. I intend housing next week. Its supposed to be better to do them a week or two before housing so they can cough up the worms..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

have used same stuff..(is expensive)on weanlings+yearlings about a month ago! looking good
    they maintain it takes time to work! as an uncle did his-were still coughing 2 weeks after it..

would u do them again b4 entering sheds..or leave now till spring????
    they look healthy+ok at mo!

think do the cows,with trodax before being put in! see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Advice about fluke / Closamectin;

Closamectin Pour On contains ivermectin to treat gut worms, lungworms and lice, and closantel to treat fluke. Closantel is very effective to kill adult fluke and late immature fluke with > 95% efficacy against fluke from 7 weeks late immature stage. The efficacy is greatly reduced against early immature fluke (1-5 weeks old) and kill is between 30-40%. Although the kill rate against early immature fluke is quite low, closantel does have the effect of stunting surviving early immature fluke and reducing their development. If you use Closamectin Pour On at housing you will not kill all fluke as some of the early immature fluke will survive treatment. If you wait 6 weeks post housing before you use Closamectin Pour On then the fluke will have developed through to a stage where they will be effectively killed however you take the risk of the animals suffering from their existing fluke burden at this time and if lung worm is an issue on your farm leaving animals untreated is a considerable risk. The appropriate timing of treatment with CPO on your farm depends on the environmental aspects of your farm and how high a fluke burden you expect your cattle to have and is best discussed with your vet/medicine prescriber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

I did cattle with an ivermectin in the Spring and it wasn't enough. I did them again about 2 months ago. The man I bought it off told me an oral dose was the best to kill all stages of fluke. I bought Endofluke off him and dosed them with it last week. He said I'd still need to do them in another while. Should end up eating into whatever profit there is but when you see them swelled up with it you've got to do something.
    A skulling gate is an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

spoutwell wrote: »
    I did cattle with an ivermectin in the Spring and it wasn't enough. I did them again about 2 months ago. The man I bought it off told me an oral dose was the best to kill all stages of fluke. I bought Endofluke off him and dosed them with it last week. He said I'd still need to do them in another while. Should end up eating into whatever profit there is but when you see them swelled up with it you've got to do something.
    A skulling gate is an advantage.

not nit picking or anything but the ivermectin just does worms & lice while the Endofluke does fluke (its the same as fasinex/tribex and does all three stages of fluke). Its a good dose alright but apparently there are areas in the country where there is resistance to it (ie fluke is immune to it).theres no question about it though, fluke is expensive to treat compared to worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Wait 3 weesk after housing before doing for fluke. That's the golden rule.
    Something about allowing the immature fluke to mature a little before treating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I saw one of my Neighbours cows waste away to a bag of bones last year. He had bought her in, she calved and then wasted away. John diesease it looked like. I saw an article, Journal a while back.

If the heifer doesn't improve, then it might be something you could consider getting her tested for. I could be wrong but it could also be a genetic problem which her offspring could inherit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

I have a heifer (nearly 3 year old, due to calve in a month) that I did with ivermectin in April. Her brisket / dewlap / under her neck got swelled up a couple of months ago - its still a bit swollen. The vet said it was fluke. She also has swelling up over her tail. Hopefully its fluke and not something connected with being in calf. I've done her twice for fluke in the last 2 months. She's not pine-ing or on her own.

Advertisement