Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there any direct descendants of mohammed?

• 11-11-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

this might be a little too da-vinci-code'ish but are there any?, or any that claim to be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

too F****** many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

doughef wrote: »
    too F****** many
    i havent really come across any well lets say "individuals" or like families etc, ive come across CULTS but are there any who are like protected by the arab government or given a higher status etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

In 1500 years, I'd imagine hundreds of millions would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Slav wrote: »
    nice one exactly along the lines of what i was looking for, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Doughef be careful of your phrasing, that post could be taken in a way that would lead to a banning, it is a credit to the people posting in this thread that it was not

I will give you the benefit of the doubt this time but any hint of intolerance in your posting and you will be out of this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There are quite a few people who claim to be descended from him, even Saddam Hussein claimed to be descended form the Prophet (pbuh). I am sure there are people are descendants, but I reckon there are also a lot of people who are mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

There's a table here showing how King Edward IV of England is descended from Muhammad. Edward IV is an ancestor of Queen Elizabeth II.

However, as the introduction to the table notes, some of the links in the chain of descent are open to question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I will give you the benefit of the doubt this time but any hint of intolerance in your posting and you will be out of this forum

Classic :pac: !

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

My Understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the entire hashemite line claim to be decendent from Fatima (and, thusly, Muhammad)

• Advertisement

My Understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the entire hashemite line claim to be decendent from Fatima (and, thusly, Muhammad)

That was what I thought as well, and Wikipedia backs this up.

Men who claim descent from the Prophet often use the title "Sayyid".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Quite a lot, including a white Irish friend of mine, who has worked out his genealogy:

http://www.nicholaswhyte.info/muhammad.htm
    John Henry Whyte was my father, which puts me at the 43rd generation after the Prophet Muhammad.

P.

The line of descent of your friend goes through Richard Plantagenet, Earl of Cambridge, who was the grandfather of King Edward IV (see one of my earlier posts). I suspect that he represents a sort of "gateway" ancestor by providing the link back to Muhammad for many of the noble families of Britain and Ireland, so if you can trace a line of descent from a late 18th/early 19th century aristocrat, it's very likely that you can establish your ancestry back to Muhammad. But I don't think you can call yourself "Sayyid" unless you are descended entirely through a line of Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'd imagine there are a lot of people claiming to be descendants of his. There must be some somewhere as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mickol

this might be a little too da-vinci-code'ish but are there any?, or any that claim to be?

Yeah , he has a daughter ....she's a boxer too I think, Laila is her name :D

Advertisement