Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hmnn..... Sharing the Knowledge... [PRESENT SUMMARY @ POST #34]

• 11-11-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Look what I found.

Remember this

Like the idea? Twas good last time out by all reports.

Quite a bit happening at the moment so maybe a project for January / blow away the cobwebs etc..

What thinks yes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why the hell not. Folks are progressing from compacts to DSLRs all the time. We have loads of new posters so yeah it's a good idea. Count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

I'd be happy to give a talk on composition and basic camera technique.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can talk about sport, if wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thanks Guys, That sounds great, the start of a programme beginning to emerge.

I think although normally excluded from the online forum, that a commercial provider who is volunteering on the day to assist in whatever way is agreeable, will be able to pimp their services/wares as we would be outside of the online space.

I'd probably be ok to do a newbie session on "Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto" to get newer photographers to grasp the operations of their cameras, common functions, and features - covering some basic stuff. Might be a good start to a day which the more advanced folk could avoid. I'm thinking as it is perhaps a January project, that you'll have a number of proud new camera owners which might benefit from a introduction session.

The other idea I had overnight was a live C&C session where you may have 4 or 5 people submit an image, a photo set, or a project for critique, and either a designated panel to give feedback if it could be organised, or just feedback from the floor. Each person submitting would give 3 - 5 minutes (meh maybe 30 seconds ;)) about what they were after in the shot and then the panel/floor would provide interactive critique in a round table format.

Keep ideas coming.

Do volunteer to present a topic. If there is more than one person for a particular topic we can share the burden / get 2 for the price of one, etc.

We would need an appropriate venue. Again, keep suggestions coming.

More as thoughts strike me. Feel free to throw in ideas.

Workable Saturdays in January would be the 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm interested, but am too lazy to travel. We should hold it in Galway, as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm in London (love that excuse) unless you want a session via satalite broadcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Fenster wrote: »
    I'm interested, but am too lazy to travel. We should hold it in Galway, as such.

Better still, somewhere central ..... like .... Athlone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I vote for a weekend in London! All expenses not paid, and accomodation not provided

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

sounds great if its in ireland :)

Well I'm happy to help if possible. Just not sure if I'd be of any benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Sounds like a fantastic idea.
    Especially to help those self taught newbie camera user's like myself. (needs all the help i can get :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Great idea - every thread in here is opening my eyes further too how helpful people are willing to be - as for
    date: not the last weekend in January please.

Many Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

That sounds like a great idea, be useful for us newbies!! :D I love the idea of a roundtable C&C. That'd be awesome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

could possibly whip out the ol college notes for folk to have a read of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Will definitely attend this if it happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Excellent plan. Maybe Peter and myself could have an open forum on dynamic range? Only joking Peter. We might have a pint though? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Fenster wrote: »

Now we're talking! Too much of this boardsie stuff happening in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have exams :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Valentia =) Sounds good.

If this is happening in January, I won't be able to attend - I teach in the US for that whole month, and I'll be in Yosemite for the first couple of weeks of February. If it takes place after that certainly count me in.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I'm the chair of the DCU Fotosoc. Would love to try and organise something like this in the new year with some of y'all!
    And if it's deemed important enough I could potentially get funding for it.

PM me if anyone's interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

mehfesto - a room booking might be the best thing we could use. Last time as I recall, this was run in DCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'd be interested but if one could be set up for Galway as well would be great...

If people want to run this in Galway (maybe tie in a photo expedition) I'm up for that. Then again, for a day of tutorials from you lot, I'd probably fly to London...

I'm wondering what topics should be included;

We have a Newbie session and a Sports one. The timing probably won't suite Peter's session so we may have to hold off until another time on that.

Any volunteers/takers for;
    • Wedding / Event Photography
    • Perfecting your printing / print output
    • Landscape Photography
    • The Art of Documentary Photography
    • Fine Art Photography
    • Post processing for dummies
    • Advanced Techniques
    • Perfecting a Black and White

All the above open for interpretation / suggestions / improvements / enhancements / rejections or additions.

Go one - give it a blast. We'll all be behind you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Depends on timing but I would give a yap on Weddings and Event photography

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AnCatDubh wrote: »

• Perfecting your printing / print output
    • Post processing for dummies
    • Advanced Techniques
    • Perfecting a Black and White

I really want to be there for this lot - as a learner, not a talker!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

depending on dates i might be able to do the printing thing if it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i'd be interested in talking about music photography if you'd like that. stories about everything from fancy tourbus life to shooting gigs in pubs under one bare bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

I'd definitely be interested in helping out if I can, but wouldn't be qualified for talk giving, but if you need help organising or that let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

depending on dates I'd be interested in coming along to talk or learn, whichever.

stcstc wrote: »
    depending on dates i might be able to do the printing thing if it helps

Would a proper print competition on the day be a good idea?

tullie wrote: »
    I'd definitely be interested in helping out if I can, but wouldn't be qualified for talk giving, but if you need help organising or that let me know.
    Seconded.

I'm nowhere near good enough to be doling out advice but if there's anything else I can do to help count me in! :)

A quick summary of all the offers thus far (smack me if i've overlooked your post)

Composition and basic camera technique - Petercox (availability only from late Feb onwards)

Sports Photography - Paulw

"Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto" - AnCatDubh

live C&C session - Panel / All hands on deck.

whips and college notes - melekalikimaka (i may have taken liberty with the title :D)

Weddings and Event photography - Borderfox (dependent on timing)

Perfecting your printing / print output - stcstc (depending on dates)

Music photography - DotOrg

topic to be confirmed - eas

Organisation:
    Venue - Possibly supported by DCU Fotosoc - mehfesto2
    • Tullie / offer to help with organising
    • Sleepy / offer to help with organising

Need More info:
    proper print competition - eas? What was in mind here?

Keep it coming folks, this is beginning to take real shape.

Need More info:
    proper print competition - eas? What was in mind here?

Basically - anyone who wants to participate brings a print conforming to a format (20*16 is a common size for these competitions). The prints are put on display for the duration of the day, everyone who comes votes for 1st 2nd 3rd and winners get an all expenses paid round trip on the luas. That would be one way of doing it, I'm sure some suggestions on how to refine it would come if there was an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I've never been on the Luas....

• Advertisement

eas wrote: »
    everyone who comes votes for 1st 2nd 3rd and winners get an all expenses paid round trip on the luas.

Oh, that could be confusing to those that think the LUAS goes in straight lines instead of circular system. Did they link red and green up? :confused:

<just kiddin ya ;)>

How about studio lighting session. What i'm thinking is if it were possible for someone with experience of studio lighting to take sessions throughout the duration on the day. Depending on the interest levels it might run in parallel to the other sessions because as I understand it to be effective numbers would want to be small per session.

So, *if* it could be organised, *if* the venue would support it, *if* we had someone willing to lead a number of practical sessions, *if* we could find a model or three that would model for the day perhaps on a TFCD basis.

Oh boy, but that's a lot of *if*'s folks.

However, I'll throw it out there. I didn't think we'd be this far at this stage to be honest so you'd never know.

This might suit some commercial providers as a way of promoting their lighting systems perhaps. The question is a frequent one on the forum.

Again, open for ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

how about i offer to print a 20*16 canvas as a prize for the print competition, ie the winner gets a canvas print of the wining image?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sounds good to me.

define whips... this is a mostly male fourm... i'm worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a Lastolite Hilte and an Elinchrom Dlite 4 kit with softboxes if you want to use that. Lightmeter/reflector and bits and pieces

• Advertisement

Oh this shaping up to be a fine auld session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Originally posted by Kintarō Hattori: Oh this shaping up to be a fine auld session.

indeed! especially for someone who has no idea what half the topics are, never mind anything else, but hurrah!:D

My sister is willing to do the models make-up for TFCD aswell - she is a make-up artist. Once it is not the last weekend in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Being rather busy, I might have missed Steve's advice, but if you (Steve) could also present what we should do to get the perfect output from you (and other printing services) regarding using colour profiles of printers, that would be fantastic.
    Yes, I know, it is a shame, but I am still not certain in colour management and practical explanation what shall I do after using colour profile of my callibrated display to get the exactly the same print from you would be fantastic.

I am for such event, but I will be just a visitor. And a taxi driver for people from Dublin N7 direction.

And edit - I think that we could get also this model to attend (TFCD).

Did this idea die?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Think this just got caught up in the Xmas Madness.

Let's keep it moving.

I could ask if we could hold this at DCC on a Sunday. We have a meeting room, projector & we may also be able to use the Studio as well. It would have to be approved by Council this Thursday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just one request- if this is still going to go ahead can a few weeks notice be given- as I'd be (and others I'd guess) be travelling from outside Dublin I need to plan ahead and 'book' the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

dinneenp wrote: »
    Just one request- if this is still going to go ahead can a few weeks notice be given- as I'd be (and others I'd guess) be travelling from outside Dublin I need to plan ahead and 'book' the weekend.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Look what I found.

Remember this

Like the idea? Twas good last time out by all reports.

Quite a bit happening at the moment so maybe a project for January / blow away the cobwebs etc..

What thinks yes?

Lol, I clicked on your link and guess what, that meet up was my wedding day, how random.....:D

Anyway back to reading the thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ok, got the randomness out of the system there;)

Just had a read through and this seems like a cool idea. I'd love to attend even if not talking on anything. The only thing I really would be up for talking about is weddings, although I'd love to hear Border too and Eas if he decided to give it a go.

I'd be ready to give a hand to any newbies who need help getting out of auto too, I see there may be a talk on that so no probs being on hand to help demonstrate if needs be.

Another idea to include is a little demonstration on customer relations also maybe? We all focus sooooo much on the photography aspect people often forget about dealing with the customer. Also possibly marketing a photography business? I would be no use on marketing but might be able to help with customer relations, although I deal with general public as opposed to large business.

The print thing is a cool idea, would it be themed or just any image? Would these prints be c&c'd and would they need to be mounted and printed to a specific size?

• Advertisement
Advertisement