Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a garage

Options
  • 11-11-2009 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

need to get a heap of work done on the car without gettin ripped,anyone have any ideas? someone said travers garage in hebron anyone know what they are like, any others? thanks p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

P connoly near woodies is a very good man.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I've used Travers before when they were on the Ormond Road. Glad they have moved found them excellent, parking there was the only problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

The polish lad in irishtown gregor pawlak or something. He's very good. He's accross from the esso garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

used travers a while back and although I had to return the car to him 3 times, found them to be pretty efficent and helpful. In fairness the return issues were kinda beyond his control and the engine had (eventually) to be replaced (ooch!). Price wise he isn't the cheapest and he's usually very busy as he is the AA's recovery vehicle for kilkenny, but he's a straight-up honest bloke who (I believe) will try his best to get ya back on the road as quickly as possible.
    If you live out near danesfort then I'd highly recommend slattery's. Very helpful, family run garage. hope this helps.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

draward wrote: »
    P connoly near woodies is a very good man.:p

^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I've dealt with Mr. Travers he's bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

I always bring our car to mark murphy motors in clara ,he is very helpful and will not rip you off

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I've heard good reports about Mark Murphy too...
    Brought my two cars to Campions who are in Higginstown (not far out past the pococke) and had them both serviced recently... good professional garage out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 petawee

ended up using mr travers and is obviously a well versed 'CUTE HOOR' and will not be using him again you live and learn,anyhow thanks for the replies and happy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

Just out of intrest why did you choose Travers in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well there were people on the thread recommending him. If they were being tongue in cheek, that didn't translate across very well in print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

petawee wrote: »
    ended up using mr travers and is obviously a well versed 'CUTE HOOR' and will not be using him again you live and learn,anyhow thanks for the replies and happy new year

:eek: Why? Did something go wrong?

I was being serious. I found him alright at the time (although it's a fair while ago now).

I would also be interested to know what the problem was with your transaction.

Well my bucket is now in the process of being towed to his garage, :( so I will report back how it goes this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

michael wemyss ( jerpoint garage) in thomastown is good and reasonable if you don't mind travelling a bit . . .

I would highly recomend Mark Murphy motors, Quality work , reasonably priced - he seems to have every thing and any thing to do with vehicle diagnostics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know it's not kilkenny but I could not recommend Bolands in Carlow highly enough. Really excellent in their customer care and not that expensive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

+1 for Campions also.

I have had car serviced at Travers a couple of times and it was a good enough experience.

Unfortunately Travers haven't really covered themselves in glory with my car this time. Supposedly fixed, lasts a day, and breaks down, returns to garage after waiting 3 hours to be towed, told to ring after lunch as they "are working on the car", same still in car park.

Told to ring again at 5, 5.15, 5.30. Eventually walk down there, car supposedly fixed again, and had been for an hour. Receptionist there, not a patch on the girl who used to be there (maybe she is still there on her hols?).

I will probably try one of the other recommended garages on here next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I got a pre NCT service done in Travers a couple of years ago when they were in Ormonde road. The car failed on 13 different faults :eek:the nct fellow couldn't believe that a mechanic let it into the test and it wasn't one of the lads working there that worked on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

"the nct fellow couldn't believe that a mechanic let it into the test and it wasn't one of the lads working there that worked on the car. "
    can you explain? I cant quite follow what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

When I moved to KK first I didn't know of any good garages. Went to Travers a few times. If you have 4 things to fix he would do a max of 3 and say of I forgot. He was just too busy at the time and didn't spend enough time on the car. He was well able to charge though.
    Nice fella but he lost my vote a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

i foolishly allowed travers to clean out my bank account on 2 occasions. Am a blow in to kilkenny which i feel had an effect on customer service, attention to detail and of course the bill. In fairness, my car was a crock but he had it for a week once and did absolutely nothing with it. it will be ready at 5....you go in at 5 and its not going to be ready till tomorrow.....or ring in an hour...so you ring in an hour.... and told to ring back in half hour.......then ring back in 15 minutes......then you ring at 6.01 and they have fecked off home.....absolutely useless. I left my car in once and they said theyd look at it and ring me....so i went for coffee.... no call....wandered back up and the place was all closed up, everyone gone home and my car, car keys AND HOUSE KEY locked away for the night. Un fecking believable.
    I now deal with laherts and while they are expensive for a service you can be sure that they will keep their word - when they say it will be ready you can be sure it will be ready. The customer service is excellent and they are professional and totally reliable in every way. Travers is a local garage for local people who are known to them.

Lahart's provide truly excellent customer service alright but fk me in the ear do they know how to charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

recently got my car serviced in slattery's in danesfort.
    basic diesel service and a pair of front brake pads......450 euro!!!!!
    I normally do my own servicing but what with the bad weather decided to use a local mechanic.
    Surely thats not the going rate?
    avoid at all costs.
    As to Travers, as I said in a previous post, I had some issues with them too but put it down to the nature of the problem with the car.
    Am rethinking that maybe its not me............its them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

jesus dont get me going about that travers fella:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Travers is expensive alright for an indy.

Used Travers once a few years back, found him to be very rude

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Can someone PM me a number for the Polish guy on Dean St? Can't find it anywhere on the net.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can someone PM me a number for the Polish guy on Dean St? Can't find it anywhere on the net.
    Don't have his number but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Advertisement