Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a garage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Plug wrote: »
    Don't have his number but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
    Have to agree there. not a nice guy at all :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Dealt with Mark Murphy in Clara and am very pleased.
    Laharts I found were well capable of issuing a big bill, less capable at actually fixing anything (unless it was a window regulator that wasn't broken when it went in to them...).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

Licksy wrote: »
    Dealt with Mark Murphy in Clara and am very pleased.
    Laharts I found were well capable of issuing a big bill, less capable at actually fixing anything (unless it was a window regulator that wasn't broken when it went in to them...).

I see you said in a previous post that you used Campions, just out of interest how did it compare to Murphy's in Clara. I have used Mark Murphy's myself and was very happy. Laharts would take the shirt off your back & them boys in irish town would'nt know a spanner if it hit them in the head.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Brought my old banger out to Campions and he did a fine job.. also serviced my wife's audi and I was well pleased with them.
    I've since changed my banger and brought the 'new' one to Mark Murphy to have it checked over and I was impressed with his setup also (diagnostics etc). I had heard good things about him from friends before. I mentioned to him that I was having an intermittent fault with the Radio in the Audi and he told me he could splice a cable for the ariel that runs up through the boot... it bends pretty severely and can get damaged when the boot opens and closes... there are also a couple of electronic (booster?) boxes in the boot lid that would have been expensive to replace and Laharts service "manager" didn't know f*** all about the issue whereas Mark Murphy was able to sort me out, starting with the cheapest solution! Such a difference to actually deal with people who have a clue :)
    He fixed an issue with the auto gearbox in the Audi recently and has since phoned me twice to make sure that everything is as it should be... nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 M7K

hi guys! can anyone tell me where is this garage located?? may be you can recognise it by the tanks besides de entrance? I got the pic from a friend and he's on holydays :(

garagej.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Why do you ask? It's a very odd question.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Are those the tanks in that place that only sells diesel just as you start to go out the Castlecomer Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yeah very odd question?
    I'd move it if I was the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

i get my car done by a guy thats a mechanic in nissan barlo in kilkenny, he's based between kells and stoneyford.. i would highly recommend him, very cheap because he wants people to come back .. seriously i can't rate him highly enough ...

pm me me for number if anybody wants it !

• Advertisement

gorilla_ie wrote: »
    i get my car done by a guy thats a mechanic in nissan barlo in kilkenny, he's based between kells and stoneyford.. i would highly recommend him, very cheap because he wants people to come back .. seriously i can't rate him highly enough ...

pm me me for number if anybody wants it !
    Will he give me an invoice, stamp my service book and give a guarantee for the work he dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Bernard or anthony, anthony is with ford.

500sel wrote: »
    Will he give me an invoice, stamp my service book and give a guarantee for the work he dose?

Well what do you think eh ??
    Bernard or anthony, anthony is with ford.

Your spot on there dude. I doubt anyone could beat them for price tbh

I work with him, bang on chap, very good.

I work with him, bang on chap, very good.

Its Bernard that i know. Fair play to the boys, they do a crackin job and don't try to rape ya with the price

Well what do you think eh??
    So................................. Not really a garage then?
    Are they eh??
    READ THE TITLE

oh right ... sorry dude ...

they sell ice creams !! ;) not a garage at all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I wish to unreservedly retract my statement that Lahart's provide truly excellent customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I wish to unreservedly retract my statement that Lahart's provide truly excellent customer service.

What happened? Doesn't sound good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

dooferoaks wrote: »
    What happened? Doesn't sound good!!

Sounds like they were sucked in with small jobs then bang with a main dealer huge bill, compared to an Indy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

oh right ... sorry dude ...

they sell ice creams !! ;) not a garage at all !!

will they give me an invoice for the work carried out and stamp my service book ? will they service it while i am at work and then come and collect me when i am finished?

Next year im building a small garage so I suppose I'll have to give a few of ye a boards discount:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I go to Quik Stop there on the top of Patrick st/Waterford road (besdie Nellies Farm Shop). A bunch of Polish guys(really nice). The are fair priced and seem decent enough. Bulit up quite a customer based since I started going there. The only issue I have was that they fix EVERYTHING they find an issue with without asking me. I sent my car in for a service and tracking and they fixed the bump in my bumper and replaced the windscreen wipers! kinda peeved me i one way but the mechanic Vadim, says he is a perfectionist. He talks to me like I'm a very naughty driver! Because I don't get things fixed immediatly:rolleyes:

Jinxi wrote: »
    I go to Quik Stop there on the top of Patrick st/Waterford road (besdie Nellies Farm Shop). A bunch of Polish guys(really nice). The are fair priced and seem decent enough. Bulit up quite a customer based since I started going there. The only issue I have was that they fix EVERYTHING they find an issue with without asking me. I sent my car in for a service and tracking and they fixed the bump in my bumper and replaced the windscreen wipers! kinda peeved me i one way but the mechanic Vadim, says he is a perfectionist. He talks to me like I'm a very naughty driver! Because I don't get things fixed immediatly:rolleyes:
    I heard they got caught out trying to to stitch up a main dealer for doing a job wrong ( But it was not the case, for once) rember you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

500sel wrote: »
    I heard they got caught out trying to to stitch up a main dealer for doing a job wrong ( But it was not the case, for once) rember you get what you pay for.

So what your saying is that they got accused of something and they were proved to be straight up??? Or that for once they were in the right???? Can you clarify?
    They seem to be a reasonable price, not cheap by any means though

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Any opinions on Greg Pawlak in Irishtown?
    I have heard some good and some not so good as regards cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the_gunner

Used Travers once a few years back, found him to be very rude

Yes, I agree. Travers is a rude, ignorant, incompetent man. Here is my story!

left two tyres into travers to be fixed, these were off a peugeto 407 coupe. travers said no problem, replaced the two tyres at a cost of 400 euor including tracking( a ripoff in itselffor two kumhos)i never asked him to track the car and i dont know how he ascertained it needed to be done.

later that night the passenger side tyre went flat, the driver side was soft also. brought them up to the petrol station to air them ( it was ten o clock at night so Travers was closed) , when i took the cap off the tire the stem which was cracked and had visible sealant around the threads broke off completely. leaving me with an entirely flat tyre. I then had to change the tyre with the spare and managed to damage two tyre irons irreparably due to the nuts being tightened excessively. I eventually got the tyre replaced and rang Travers in the morning, I also discovered that the stem on the driver side had been similarly damaged and was in need of replacement.
    up until this point the stems had given no trouble whatsoever and the car had passed the NCT a few days prior to the tyres being replaced - it was only at the suggestion of the nct tech that i replace the tyres.
    the stems are electronically monitored and cost around 100 euros each. Travers denied damaging them but offered to replace them, until he learned that they were 100 euro each at which point he denied damaging them at all and refused point blank to replace them. Called down to him several times and he either refused to come out or was incredibly ignorant to me, I had to stop going down as his attitude was so contemptuous i was worried that i would be unable to maintain my composure. He refused to take calls and denied doing any damage at all, even though he knew that he let the tyres from the premises when they weren't holding pressure and visible attempts had been made to seal the leak from the cracked stems. Eventually askea tires in carlow repaired the tyes ( they also told me that there were several cracks in the alloys which had been entirely covered with black sealant - travers never told me about the cracks in the wheels either - more incompetence) the cracks in the wheels werent the cause of the loss in pressure either because the tyres held the pressure when the stems and valves were replaced by travers with ordinary stems)
    up until this point the tyres and stems had never even had a puncture, it was only after travers tried his hand at tyre changing that they got damaged. he is an ignorant and incompetent man. his father, whom i had occasion to deal with several times, was a decent and straightforward man. he is still there but seems to be browbeaten frequently by his son.

all told to replace two tyres cost me 800 euros.
    do not have any dealings with this man whatsoever

4 wheel alignment and two good bridgestone tires would be a rip off at €400 even in a main dealer, they definitely didn't do anything else? Kumhos are crap tires too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the_gunner

4 wheel alignment and two good bridgestone tires would be a rip off at €400 even in a main dealer, they definitely didn't do anything else? Kumhos are crap tires too![/QUOTE

No that is all he did i always found his father a sound man but good manners stops me from useing the words to describe him]

• Advertisement
Advertisement