Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Shelter for 12h pony

Options
  • 11-11-2009 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Has anyone any useful ideas on what could be used as a quick cheap shelter for a pony in a very wet field after recent weather. I have put a coat on him but I am worried about his hooves. I am waiting for planning permission for a small stable. This is our first pony. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why are you worried about his hooves? Has your farrier recommended that you have somewhere dry to stand him?

You could erect a lean- to and put down some concrete or something like that. You can buy movable lean-tos as well, which dont need planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

garden shed do ya?
    either wooden one or can get galvanised ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's probably more important to have a dry corner for him to stand on or lie down on rather than an actual shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jcd33

The top of the field where I have the pony is still fairly dry after all the rain as field is has a sharp slope down. However the shelter is less now as the green has gone off the trees. He seems to stand under a big oak tree half way down the field where it is wetter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

make one using lenghts 4by2inch timber(to make a timber frame) and clad the top and sides with galvanised sheets. Line the inside with sheets of ply as kickboards. Pour concrete for floor or else put in at least 6inches of sand.
    You really should have had a stable before you bought the pony.
    Here's a piccy of my temporary stables (2) to give you an idea. You wont need anything as big as these. I suggest you make stable for your 12h pony 12ft by 12ft by 8ft high. When you get permission to build your proper stable then the temporary one could be used to store hay (a safe distance from house & stable in event of fire).
    gravel3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

746watts wrote: »
    You really should have had a stable before you bought the pony.

While it is a good idea to have some sort of shelter built for a horse/pony prior to acquiring one, if there is plenty of natural shelter in the field, such as trees and hedges, then the situation isn't as urgent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

convert wrote: »
    While it is a good idea to have some sort of shelter built for a horse/pony prior to acquiring one, if there is plenty of natural shelter in the field, such as trees and hedges, then the situation isn't as urgent.

The OP says the pony is in a very wet field, no stable (yet). If conditions worsen, which is likely, the pony will suffer. So having one's homework done before buying a pony in wet and windy Ireland is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

having one's homework done before buying a pony in wet and windy Ireland is important.

Indeed. As is ensuring that stables are built where they won't be flooded. I've seen people rush into building stables without giving due consideration for the location, only to have them flooded with run off water from the fields, and the weather we're having at the moment only exacerbates the situation. A dry spot in a field is preferable to a flooded/poorly built stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's probably more important to have a dry corner for him to stand on or lie down on rather than an actual shelter.

would agree with this one

if your field has a dry patch the pony will find it and sometimes people build shelters etc etc and find that the animals will not go into them as in windy conditions they prefer to be outside as they are afraid of predators coming and eating them- Horses cant hear as well in in windy conditons

yes i know what predators i hear you ask but remember horses are still wild animals and only us humans contain them in a micro suitation so to be honest we humans thrive on comfort warmt love and attention this makes us feel better - where horses (herd animals ) thrive on company, food and a bit of shelter whether it is a hedge or a ditch as you said he has a rug on him so to be honest if he has food and a rug and shelter he will be fine-
    i would be more worried that he is on his own than having shelter- thats my opionion as i am passionate about the fact that horses are from herds and should be kept with others-

But not to worry you are doing your best to keep the pony comfortable
    if you look at the ponys coat he will grow more hair and the way the hair lies on his body keeps out the rain cold etc.--
    They have survived thousands of years weather and have survived till 2009 so in this weather i would not worry too much if they have food that will keep them warm

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

The OP says the pony is in a very wet field, no stable (yet). If conditions worsen, which is likely, the pony will suffer.

Not necessarily, it is important to remember that ponys(in fact all equidae) are originally designed for outdoor living, and can generally survive very well, the only reason alot of them have to be pampered is due to man's intervention, and domestication of what are typically hardy animals, a good thick winter coat is a good defence, a horse will generally also find shelter, be it a bush, tree or a mound of earth and stay out of the harxh weatther. The worst thing that will happen the feet is they go a bit soft, but they are regularly cared for, and attended to by a farrier there should not be any real problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jcd33

Thanks for all the advice. I got the pony in to a neighbour’s fairly dry field with lots of good shelter before the weather got bad. I only took the pony because he had been treated bably by a previous owner, who passed him on to a guy who was allergic to him. I have no experience with Horses. I do think the pony needs a friend but I don’t have the confidence with Horses yet to get another one. Do horses get down quickly if they are on there own? When the weather is better next year I will get him a friend. Thanks.

Advertisement