Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lest We Forget (Middle East)

• 11-11-2009 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

That they killed people too - that they signed up to be soldiers.

The people they killed had families too. Those families are and were grieving too.

They were not innocent brave valiant soldiers who did no harm and while no one deserved to die - everyone deserves consideration and remembrance.

Lest We forget who was where (their country) and who was the aggressor (for the most part).

(Here is where I meant to clarify that it is not ww1 etc I am talking about - my bad)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's why it's Remembrance Day, not Big Mickey Swinging Triumphalism Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

I could maybe understand your point of view if you were a pacifist, not that I would agree with it. But its a bit rich coming from a barstool republican.

It disgusts me when brit bashers use any excuse to mouth off, just let them rest in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

+++++ infinity+1

Jaysus OP, way to miss a point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

---
    christ - I bet this gets deleted (Just saw the mod list).

I can't speak for the other mods, but I'm not deleting it. I don't think the aggressor is really an issue though: There's a reason that the British invited the Luftwaffe to the Battle of Britain commemorations next year. They fought and died for their country too..

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The people they killed had families too. Those families are and were grieving too.

They were not innocent brave valiant soldiers who did no harm and while no one deserved to die - everyone deserves consideration and remembrance.

Lest We forget who was where (their country) and who was the aggressor (for the most part).

---
    christ - I bet this gets deleted (Just saw the mod list).

Lest we forget that November 11th is commemorated in a number of countries, world wide. Veterans day in the US, Armistice day in the UK and the commonwealth, as well as in France and Belgium, in whos fields some of the bloodiest battles of WWI were fought, not forgetting the huge casualties in other theatres of the war.

November 11th is not about triumphalism, but about remembering a generation that was lost, that witnessed entire villages and streets, in Britain, France, Belgium, their colonies and dominions, Germany, and the constituent parts of the Austro-Hungarian empire, that saw off the men of fighting age, many of whom would never have returned. The loss of all was a great tradgedy, as have been many of the subsequent conflicts in europe.

As others have noted, many ceremonies have taken place to reconcile soldiers that fought each other, from next years Battle of Britain commemoration, to the joint Japanese-American veterans ceremony that marks the battle of Iwo Jima, it is unfortunate that some are not intelligent enough to be able to accept that history is filled with shades of gray, not the black and white ethno-nationalist myths that are peddled in common culture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

neilled wrote: »
    Lest we forget that November 11th is commemorated in a number of countries, world wide. Veterans day in the US,

Actually, not so much in the US. Veteran's Day is more a day of celebration with flagwaving and parades in honor of living military veterans. The national day of commemoration of the war dead is Memorial Day, which is in May. That started in the 19th century, it seemed a bit odd to move it to November after WWI, so they basically created a different type of holiday mark the end of the Great War.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Maybe I should have clarified this in my first post but...

This is about soldier dieing in the middle east today.

Bashing the person not the point - hmmm :(. (being a republican does not mean that I advocate(d) violence.....)

Maybe I should have clarified this in my first post but...

This is about soldier dieing in the middle east today.

Bashing the person not the point - hmmm. (being a republican does not mean that I advocate(d) violence.....)

Actually looking at it now - especially with the use of that qoute I should have clarified it.
    I meant that phrase to be used ironicaly not in the original sense. Granted that could not possible be seen as I didn't clarify it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Now I'm more confused than ever..where and when are you referring too, ironically or otherwise.

Curious..nothing else.

British soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I'm glad we cleared that up. Thanks.

I did set myself up for the attack I got - my fault for not clarifying that.

But still - the original point remains.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

But still - the original point remains.....

There was a point? Oh.... ok then......:confused:

hmm ye - you cant see a point in that? in relation to glorifying the dead soldiers but victimising the people they killed while at war (unjust as it was).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

hmm ye - you cant see a point in that? in relation to glorifying the dead soldiers but victimising the people they killed while at war (unjust as it was).

I'd ctually slightly agree wit u....Why I hate seeing the coffins of dead British, american soldiers etc. I dont buy into this whole "hero" thing...

While there's no doubt they're brave I wudnt view a soldier as a hero, no matter they're nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

(Here is where I meant to clarify that it is not ww1 etc I am talking about - my bad)

...............Any evidence for this ? That Britain mainly been the aggressor ?

Or is it just another emotive generalisation not based on historical facts ?

Soldiers are sent to war zones by politicians and represent their nation, its only logical that their nation remembers those killed acting in its name.

The familes of innocent civilans killed by accident are compensated by Britain. They are not killed on purpose.

They are remembered, theres a monument in the Imperial war museum in london.

Advertisement