Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmany - Digital TV

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm back again with another question.

How would I access digital TV in Clonmany? How is it provided?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Digital TV as in Freeview is trasmitted from the Limavady Transmitter, which is close enough to Inishowen, However for this type of signal, you really need line of sight. Freeview boxes and Aerials are cheap enough now in Northern Ireland but you might need to purchase and try to see if you can get the signal or find out if someone close to you already can get it. Even if someone can it is quite hit and miss at present.

When the full system goes live, they will be boosting the transmission from Limavady and adding the transmitter in Strabane, though its most likely Limavady will be your best bet.

Its unclear when the Republic will launch Freeview, which will be of a different type and have fewer channels. The Franchise was awarded but I think the company who got it have opted now not to go ahead. Most UK boxes are MPeg2 and Ireland will be Mpeg4 so boxes purchased in N.I will unlikely get the Irish one. Having said that the UK system offers a lot of channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Digital TV as in Freeview is trasmitted from the Limavady Transmitter, which is close enough to Inishowen, However for this type of signal, you really need line of sight. Freeview boxes and Aerials are cheap enough now in Northern Ireland but you might need to purchase and try to see if you can get the signal or find out if someone close to you already can get it. Even if someone can it is quite hit and miss at present.

When the full system goes live, they will be boosting the transmission from Limavady and adding the transmitter in Strabane, though its most likely Limavady will be your best bet.

Its unclear when the Republic will launch Freeview, which will be of a different type and have fewer channels. The Franchise was awarded but I think the company who got it have opted now not to go ahead. Most UK boxes are MPeg2 and Ireland will be Mpeg4 so boxes purchased in N.I will unlikely get the Irish one. Having said that the UK system offers a lot of channels.

I'm really hoping I'll be able to pick it up from Strabane when the time comes :) I have Freesat and it's great, but there are a few channels (like Dave) that are only on Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I live in Moville and am already picking up some new freeview Irish channels on MPEG-4. RTE1, RTE2, TnaG and TV3 - perfect digital picture.

I concede this is on a recently bought Samsung TV so Im not sure how older TVs would get on. If your TV is an older MPEG-2 model then this would be an option instead of buying a new telly:

http://www.puresat.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=818

waffleman wrote: »
    I live in Moville and am already picking up some new freeview Irish channels on MPEG-4. RTE1, RTE2, TnaG and TV3 - perfect digital picture.

I concede this is on a recently bought Samsung TV so Im not sure how older TVs would get on. If your TV is an older MPEG-2 model then this would be an option instead of buying a new telly:

http://www.puresat.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=818

You're picking up the Irish digital test transmissions - I have them too and they really are clear :) Not officially launched yet (more info on the Terrestrial forum here on Boards), so they can literally come and go at times. Freeview is UK based and doesn't have any of the Irish stations.
    Also, they can only be picked up via an Mpeg 4 TV - Mpeg2 is the UK version and will not pick up the ROI digital channels. However, I'm hoping that I will get Freeview via my new Toshiba, which has Mpeg2 & 4, whenever Strabane goes digital and starts broadcasting Freeview. I have Freesat currently and it too is great - no Sky premium to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

whenever Strabane goes digital and starts broadcasting Freeview

Any word on when this will happen, i have a clear line of sight to that big transmitter in Strabane so hopefully the Frewview will come from there too.

Also only just found out i can get the DAB radio channels here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ulster region is to go digital in 2010 - Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I'm really hoping I'll be able to pick it up from Strabane when the time comes :) I have Freesat and it's great, but there are a few channels (like Dave) that are only on Freeview.
    Senna wrote: »
    Any word on when this will happen, i have a clear line of sight to that big transmitter in Strabane so hopefully the Frewview will come from there too.

Also only just found out i can get the DAB radio channels here.

Strabane is due to switch at the end of 2012. Unfortunately it is not planned to be a full Freeview service, but will only carry the main Public Service channel groups like BBC TV and radio, ITV 1 and 2, CH4 and FIVE and not the likes of Film4, Dave etc.

Limavady will continue to have the full Freeview service, and the power will be turned up after 2012 so more people in the East of the county and Letterkenny area should be able to receive it.

Channel groups before and after DSO (digital switch on).

As for the Clonmany area, unless you are on high ground, the chances of getting Freeview would be very slim.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Limavady will continue to have the full Freeview service, and the power will be turned up after 2012 so more people in the East of the county and Letterkenny area should be able to receive it.
    I'm looking forward to that - hope the Lifford area will get a good reception :) From what I've heard, some parts of Inishowen can receive transmission from Limavady already - not sure about Clonmany though.

Advertisement