Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial club songs- Top 5

• 11-11-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Was just thinking there, if you had to play to a fairly commercial club, what would be the top 5 tunes you'd play to get the crowd going. I'm not talking about a sh1tty club that play absolute chart sh1te but a happy medium where the punters would have a little bit of knowledge of dance music but not to same extent as most of yourselves

If it was me I'd pick:

Chemical Brothers- Private psychadelic reel

The Prodigy- No Good

Orbital- Belfast

Atlantic Ocean- Waterfall *cheese alert!*

Chicane- Saltwater

Or something along those lines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

nice idea :) I'd go for

Urban Cookie Collective - The Key The Secret

Sash - Encore Une Fois

Prodigy - One Love

Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl

Nalin and Kane - Beachball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I'd play what i normally play.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

I'd play what i normally play.

What kind of stuff do you normally play?

Don't think the management of a commercial club would be too happy with someone playing a lot of relativly unknown 'underground' drum n bass which most of their customers don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Don't think the management of a commercial club would be too happy with someone playing a lot of relativly unknown 'underground' drum n bass which most of their customers don't know!
    id say that he simply wouldnt play those gigs.
    ive turned down loads fo gigs because i know my music isnt gonna work and i refuse to play bad music to people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Come on peeps be nice.

Id probably play David Guetta - Sexy Chick on repeat for the night :D

Love that tune

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Aw come on lads no need to be arsey. Anyone who absolutely cannot appreciate any tunes from years ago that subsequently became commercial, should really get over themselves. There are lots of tunes that started off as totally underground releases but somehow caught on and got proclaimed cheesey soon after. Doesn't change the fact that you might have thought it was a great tune once upon a time.

On my PC I have a directory called "Classics" and it has a fairly random selection of older tracks that would generally be pretty well know. On occasion I might play some tunes at a party where no one is really into 'dance music' - but I can still keep most people happy get the dancefloor moving. The other thing I like to do is get modern remixes of old classics that are a little more chunky/deep than the original, so sound less commercial/cheesey, but still recognisable. Off the top of my head, here is a random selection of the type of thing I mean, no pariticualr style but most are fun and well liked:

Groove Armada - Superstylin'
    D'Lacy - Hideaway (Dubfire Mix)
    Seamus Haji - Last night a DJ saved my life
    Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke (Hardfloor Mix)
    The Bucketheads - The Bomb
    Sandy B - World Go Round
    Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar
    Wildchild - renegade Master
    Basement Jaxx - Where's your head at.
    Jay Dee - Plastic Dreams
    Mr oxio - Flat Beat
    Roisin Murphy - Never Enough (Chocolate Puma Mix)
    Soul Central - Strings of Life (Danny Krevitt Edit)
    New Order - Blue Monday
    Shakedown - At Night (Kid Creme Mix)
    Underworld - Rez
    Underworld - 2 Months Off

I have loads more but that's all I can think of right now. It does not have to be the typical cheesey trance crap that ages like a pear - some older tunes are a bit more timeless. Many times I've seen bigtime music snobs suddently have their eyes light up and run to the dancefloor when you randomly throw a tune on like this - you never know how long its been since someone has heard it e and how they might have loved it back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers

He started out as grime, therefore it's ok to like him. That's my justification for loving that tune.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers
    Dam you - I frickin hate that tune but now I can;t get it out of my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've been playing this lately...it's commercial out...but the drunk people can't resist the hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEEFyvZjZw

Everyone loves this, though works better at slightly faster bpm...

Falke & Braxe - Intro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdKCSKsaTU4

This seems to work well too, it being one of the most famous slices of electronic music ever

Laurent Garnier - Man With the Red Face
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgcAMdktubQ

The DJ I know always plays these two, and they seem to work

Hoxton Whores - Friday Saturday Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_1bO75KLU

Steve Angello - Raining
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaqwwK9pEJM

And this always seems to get a good reaction...

Green Velvet - La La Land
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMVfFgykP8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zascar wrote: »
    Groove Armada - Superstylin'
    D'Lacy - Hideaway (Dubfire Mix)
    Seamus Haji - Last night a DJ saved my life
    Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke (Hardfloor Mix)
    The Bucketheads - The Bomb
    Sandy B - World Go Round
    Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar
    Wildchild - renegade Master
    Basement Jaxx - Where's your head at.
    Jay Dee - Plastic Dreams
    Mr oxio - Flat Beat
    Roisin Murphy - Never Enough (Chocolate Puma Mix)
    Soul Central - Strings of Life (Danny Krevitt Edit)
    New Order - Blue Monday
    Shakedown - At Night (Kid Creme Mix)
    Underworld - Rez
    Underworld - 2 Months Off

Sure are classics there.

Anyone else heading to the Jaxx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Atb-9pm til i come.
    Faithless-Insomnia.
    Nalin and Kane-Beachball.
    Dj Jean-The launch.(<<Hardy Bucks will go ape on the floor)
    Paul Van Dyke-For an angel.

And probably these too

Age of Love-Age of love
    Artemesia-Bits and pieces
    Planet funk-Chase the sun
    Delerium-Silence
    Jakatta-American Dream

Thats a whole pile of cheese but you will get people dancing to them.

If you want less cheese then maybe try some of these

Trisco-Muzak
    Xpress2-Smoke Machine
    Cevin Fisher-Freaks come out
    Xpress2-Musicism
    Sono-Keep Control

Again, all floor fillers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Always goes down a treat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Anima wrote: »

Always goes down a treat...

Fuckin classic, love it.

OP said he wanted to fil the floor though, not evacuate the club:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I aint a DJ, but I know what I like, and these are a few that I reckons will get the dancers up for some fun...

Classic video with this one too...

Another aul classic that lots will have forgotten.Fierce cheesey in its day though.. Had this as my ringtone until it drove me mental, loads of people used to go mental wondering what it was cos they only got the first 15 secs!

Also this little gem..

And of course a bit of this.

And just to finish them off...

Surprised this didn't become the anthem of the summer. It has the catchy nostalgia angle, and gotta say I like it, but think it could work in a certain club...

Felix da Housecat - We all Wanna be Prince
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXRlxKZkr4&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

seannash wrote: »
    id say that he simply wouldnt play those gigs.
    ive turned down loads fo gigs because i know my music isnt gonna work and i refuse to play bad music to people

Recession hasn't hit you so!

People who book me book me because they're booking me.

not being arsey man,i love a good bit of cheese.i certainly not a music snob.

i have honestly turned down alot of gigs(as im sure alot of people have) because theres simply nothing as boring as djing with songs you dont like.the night drags

the songs listed above wouldnt be allowed back to back all night in a commercial club,they want top 40 stuff.

they may well be classics but the average punter wouldnt have a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

just to agree with the lads here, if someone gets booked, the promoter is booking THEM. If the music's unsuitable for the crowd it's the promoter's fault, and hence the promoter's problem.
    end of story really.

• Advertisement

Recession hasn't hit you so!

just saw this.
    its got nothing got to do with the recession.djing is a hobby for me.its given me some opportunities to play some great places but id never really do a gig and play music that wont make me cringe just for the money.

ive said to people who want me to dj that ill be a horrible dj for there top 40 night and they understand.

sounds cliche'd i know but its not about the money(man):D

Sorry I think I misread the OP's original post: If someone is having a random house party type thing I've no problem playing a few classic type tunes for fun for an hour or two - but I wouldn't do a paid gig for a 21st or top 40 type night no no no no no..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyone else heading to the Jaxx?

Just waiting for the boss to come in with the Metro and then I'm off to drop the kids off at the pool.

I wouldn't do a paid gig for a 21st or top 40 type night no no no no no..

That's very specific.

How about a Bar Mitzvah with Jewish folk songs then?

Or how about a Greek wedding with balalaika music?

:P

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just waiting for the boss to come in with the Metro and then I'm off to drop the kids off at the pool.
    wahey:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »
    wahey:D:D:D:D
    Ahhhhthankyou! I'm here all week....

Sorry I think I misread the OP's original post: If someone is having a random house party type thing I've no problem playing a few classic type tunes for fun for an hour or two - but I wouldn't do a paid gig for a 21st or top 40 type night no no no no no..

I did a few weddings before, and it's great fun - dragging out all the motown, michael jackson, 80's power ballads, talking heads, sugarhill gang, james brown, all of that stuff - as long as you have a clear idea of what you're playing and an ability to not be snobby and draw the right tune at the right moment it's fun - you'll learn more from doing one wedding and not playing any "dance music" than you will from doing ten normal gigs, IMO.

But a club? They book me, they book me for what i do; i don't need to play Rihanna to teenagers to get paid.

Plus all those wedding tunes are generally old FM radio hits, and they're generally never more than three minutes long unless you have an extended 12" mix, so you're pretty much constantly searching for the next three tunes to put on, plus you have to make teenagers dance as well as their grandparents...

It's as hard as, if not harder, than rocking a club full of pillheads imo.

If I get married I'll get you for my wedding Tyranny! Sounds great!

I just don't actually have any of that type of music whatsoever really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement